Offaly v Kilkenny N H L 28/02/2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
black and red exile
All Star

Re: Offaly v Kilkenny N H L 28/02/2010

Post by black and red exile »

I have to agree about our joke support, next Sunday the Rossies will outnumber us in our own backyard and on Sunday week the Dubs will outmumber us too. I don't think there is a county in the country that has worse support than us, it's at times like this when our county teams fortunes are going through a lean time that you would need all the support you can get but we might as well just accept that people just don't care. :(

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

black and red exile wrote:I have to agree about our joke support, next Sunday the Rossies will outnumber us in our own backyard and on Sunday week the Dubs will outmumber us too. I don't think there is a county in the country that has worse support than us, it's at times like this when our county teams fortunes are going through a lean time that you would need all the support you can get but we might as well just accept that people just don't care. :(
Yes Black and red exile but them same fan's would be the one's would be giving out
like hell if they didn't get a ticket if offaly were to get back to an ireland final.
i was in a pub back home in birr a few week's ago i heard lad's saying that they wouldn't
go to tullamore for a match its to far, the funny thing is i know the same lad's and
they wouldn't go up to st. brendans pitch if there was a game in it. offaly are playing sunday in tullamore i won't be there myself i don't go to the football much
i will be in thurle's at the tipp kk match the other half and kid's are big kilkenny fans
but i never miss a birr or offaly match if i can. it will be the same few in tullamore
that watch the football like the few that will be there the next sunday for the hurling. it will be a sad day when dublin hurling support's outnumber offaly in a home game.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

this debate has being going on for far to long .we are without doubt the worst supported county in the country .i have to say the county board do nothing to promote any of the games .why in gods name cant they go around to the schools and give ouy free passes to the kids .that way fathers who wouldnt normaly go to games would take them . offaly is a sports mad county and its time for the powers to be get out of the past and try and solve this problem in offaly because it is getting ridicules at this stage .
great history hoping for a better future

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

I think you cant underestimate the teams role in this aswell lads.

Im at most of the league and championship hurling games, and the cost of traveling to them all can add up to the thousands by the time you take petrol, ticket costs etc into account.

Now take the cork league game, great first half and even started the second half really well..and what happens...we piss it all away in the last ten minutes (and were supposed to be the faithful county renowned for late comebacks) It gets very disheartening after a while when youre traveling the 2 hours back up the M8 thinking about the game.

The attitude of some of the players would not encourage you to go and watch them. That is the big problem. The players that give their all for the jersey, (Rigney, Brady and even Mahon as much as I give out about him) i dont care how much wed lose by, id go and watch them anyday. But there is nothing worse than being there or there abouts game after game only for the team to give up coming towards the end. We need to get rid of the brian carrolls of this panel and instill one thing most of all...work ethic. If we arent trying as hard as the other team how can we ever hope to beat the other team!!