offaly v cork NHL 21/02/2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Oceans 15
County player

Re: offaly v cork NHL

Post by Oceans 15 »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
black and red exile wrote:[b]Just thinking guys would Conor Mahon be a good option at centre forward[/b], in my opinion after Derek Molloy he is our best fielder and would certainly fit into the half forward line, I feel with a full strenght squad he would be a better option than Danny Currams who is a notoriously slow starter in games, for Sunday I would drop Currams to the bench, move Bergin to the wing and start Mahon at No 11, he might not overwork the scoreboard but will make an awful nuicance of himself and his direct running would cause the Cork backs fierce problems.
[b]Mahon came out well on top against Ronan Curran in Tullamore last year under the high ball.[/b]While we didn't successfully translate this onto the scoreboard, it was certainly a positive of an otherwise disappointing encounter. Whether he could do this consistently is another matter. If he can, then it at least gives Offaly some sort of platform to build from.

Remember that the Cork half back routine filleted much more vaunted half forward lines than Offaly's over the last decade. Sunday might make it clearer whether last year was a once off, or that maybe the legendary Cork half back line is in decline, or that Offaly are making genuine strides in managing to win primary possession, which was a big weakness all through the 00s.
No a hurler end of story.. He kicks it more than he pucks it when he gets it..

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

black and red exile wrote:How the hell is Brian Carroll starting and your right POTH starting Kenny in the corner is a strange one, i was looking forward to seeing Egan starting at NO 4 in his first League game but I suppose the way the team is picked where else would you put Kenny?
it is a strange one he must have picked it up a bit in traning, the thing about carroll
if he is on his game and thats a big if he not to bad he know's where the goal's are.
after dooley he is our best foward. stephen egan is hurt i think don't think kenny
will play in the corner other than that team is not to bad, dylan hayden and oakley
will switch before throw in hanniffy and hayden might work.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Hmmmmm, questions abound with regards to the defence. Neither Rigney or Kenny are corner backs by nature and genuine concerns exist as to whether either are even comfortable in the role. Personally I'd like to see Rigney given a go at wing back, thus freeing up Horan for a trial at either midfield or the half forward line.
As for Kenny, I'd really, really, really like to see him at centre back with Cleary at full. To me, centre back seems to be Kenny's natural home. That would mean dropping Oakley and for all his 100% effort, that is not something I'd have any problem doing.

The midfield as it stands, I have no problem with. How often have we lamented in the past Offaly's poor ability to rack up points tallies in the high teens, low twenties? Thus it makes sense, at this stage of the year anyway, to give two attacking minded players a go, players who we know are very capable of scoring two or three points each themselves from play in addition to contributing to overall attacking play a bit more.

The forwards at least have a somewhat different appearance to the six that failed to do much of anything last year. I do however echo POTH 's concerns about there still being a couple of creme eggs in line up. We know who they are and they know that time is running out for them to perform. Currams not starting is only right, he has never impressed at this level.

Having seen Corks team, does anybody else think that Offaly, provided they perform, actually have a chance at this? Had the defence been picked more astutely I would have had more confidence but even still I have one of those 'niggly feelings'. Or am I just suffering from a classic case of 'start of year delusional optimism'?
Bord na Mona man wrote:I always prefer to see Rory Hanniffy at midfield. He is very fast and has great wrists. An ideal man to keep keep the ball moving into the forwards. Rise and whip, whoosh it on, pick and go...

Put him in the half forwards or half back and you are requiring him to go into more direct combat with an opposition player, especially under the dropping ball. So a lot of his energy is spent winning a direct duel, plus he has less space to operate in. A player of lesser ability can tie him up to a certain extent by turning the contest into a mullock fest. He doesn't get to use his pace as much when in the sort of holding role that 6 and 11 are.

Another thing is, Offaly aren't short of big lighthouses who are a little one paced, so why use a more mobile player like Hanniffy in these sorts of holding positions?
Could not agree with this more.
Lone Shark wrote:I could see Rory operating well as a deep lying centre forward myself, possibly swapping with Oakley under the puckout, but generally trying to link play and to offer a short passing option to fielders of opposition puckouts.
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Ger Oakley should be at midfield. I’d like to see Rory Hanniffy at centre forward.
Could not disagree with these two statements any more!
Last edited by GreatDayForTheParish on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

lovelyhurling
County player
Club: de field

Post by lovelyhurling »

Who is captain this year This could be wrong but i heard a rumour that Brian Carroll is captain this year.
pull hard on your man, he's no relation

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:Having seen Corks team, does anybody else think that Offaly, provided they perform, actually have a chance at this? Had the defence been picked more astutely I would have had more confidence but even still I have one of those 'niggly feelings'. Or am I just suffering from a classic case of 'start of year delusional optimism'?
Always a chance but I would have to say a slight one. Aside from the Newtownshandrum lads still missing, this is very near to what will eventually turn out to be the Cork team that lines out against Tipp in May. Saying that, if we were to perform to anything like the first half performance in Tullamore last summer we will be well on the road to creating a shock and getting off to a flyer in the league. A strong performance in a tight game would keep me relatively happy but a win and bragging rights for work would be very sweet! But with rumours that Cork are to take the league very seriously this year and the strength of their team out, I cant see anything but a Cork win. Really hope I am wrong.
"Ohhh mamma!"

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

The centre half forward crux

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Thing is that Rory is equally comfortable either facing goal or with his back to goal. He is mobile, can win ball in the air and both take a score or distribute as required. That makes him the best candidate for No. 11, in my view.

Offaly aren’t going to be short of midfield options anyway.

Conor Mahon wouldn’t be as adept with his back to goal so prpbably wouldn’t work out at 11. Note he has done most of his hurling for Kilcormac at midfield. He might do okay at left half where he can catch and turn infield. Thing is, with Carroll doing the same on the opposite flank, there will be little width in the Offaly attack and another problem isn’t being addressed.

Oceans is a bit harsh with his comment on Mahon. Mahon would give his all, to the point of getting hurt, and will probably take over Ger Oakley’s mantle in time. There’s no doubt he passes my Cream Egg test. Give me someone like him any day over a stylish stickman who doesn’t believe in running!!
GreatDayForTheParish wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:I could see Rory operating well as a deep lying centre forward myself, possibly swapping with Oakley under the puckout, but generally trying to link play and to offer a short passing option to fielders of opposition puckouts.
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Ger Oakley should be at midfield. I’d like to see Rory Hanniffy at centre forward.
Could not disagree with these two statements any more!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Yep Carroll is confirmed as captain. Bit of a shock really due to rumours about his attitude at training et al. And the fact, well in my eyes anyways he isn't nailed on to start in the summer. Maybe this is the last chance for him-if he can't perform as captain he will never do it.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

POTH made a good point about Mahon playing midfield for KK which of course could be an option in switching himself and Rory after 15 or 20 mins should things not be working out around the midfield/ half forward line area. Anyway we might not have to worry about any of this tomorrow if these poxy snowshowers that are forecast widesspread for tonight arrive, we might have to put the sanwiches and flask on hold if the the country gets another dose of the white stuff again. ROLL ON SUMMER.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

I'd like to see Mahon been given a run at midfield or centre forward. Centre forward had become something of a bogey position in the last few years for Offaly, none of the options tried have worked. Mahon could well work in that role given that he has the seemingly rare magical combination (for Offaly!) of being physically strong AND is capable of running when desired AND can score. How many of the centre forwards tried over the last two years could tick all those boxes?
kinnittyman wrote:Yep Carroll is confirmed as captain. Bit of a shock really due to rumours about his attitude at training et al. And the fact, well in my eyes anyways he isn't nailed on to start in the summer. Maybe this is the last chance for him-if he can't perform as captain he will never do it.
Agreed.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Could someone please answer this question for me.

When is the last league/championship match of relevance that Offaly have not suffered a second half fade out? Games in Division 2 last year and championship matches against Laois/Antrim do not count.

We managed 3 scores in the 2nd half today after scoring 9 in the first. Final score 1-22 to 1-11.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Its chronic at this stage. 0-09 each at half time and we were only 2 points down with 13mins to go but still end up losing by 11. Its getting very disheartening at this stage. I know we've discussed this before last year and I asked about fitness being a problem........I reckon the lads put so much effort into just hanging on in there that they have nothing to give in the last 15-20mins of a match and the holes inevitably appear. Kilkenny up next and they'll be out to make up for the Walsh Cup defeat. No doubt the usual responce from Joe Dooley "good workout, young team in transition etc etc..."

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I feel the problem for Offaly is two fold.
Firstly too much petrol being used in the first half against the big teams. Typically at the start of these encounters 3 Offaly men seem to tear in to gang tackle every opponent in possession. Yes, it yields the odd possession turnover, but it takes it toll. It is fire and brimstone, bodies on the line stuff without much intelligence. Most of it is wasted energy, its like a marathon runner deciding to sprint the first five miles.

Secondly, the reaction to setbacks is almost awful woeful. A goal around the 40-50th generally reduces Offaly to a disorganised rabble. This is sort of related to the first point. The team are too wound up initially that it doesn't have the calmness to bounce back. You almost sense the feeling is: "We've half killed ourselves so far today and now we're a goal behind. That's us done for". In similar situations, the great teams know how to shut up shop for a few minutes until the game ebbs back in their favour. Offaly usually concede a further 3 or 4 consecutive cake walk scores, with players being 5 yards off the man they are supposed to be marking.

If you were Brian Cody, or Liam Sheedy sending your team out to play Offaly you'd probably instruct your players to ride out the initial burst of exuberance and then dismantle Offaly in the second half when the scores are easy to come by.
Last edited by Bord na Mona man on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

bracknaghboy wrote:Its chronic at this stage. 0-09 each at half time and we were only 2 points down with 13mins to go but still end up losing by 11. Its getting very disheartening at this stage. I know we've discussed this before last year and I asked about fitness being a problem........I reckon the lads put so much effort into just hanging on in there that they have nothing to give in the last 15-20mins of a match and the holes inevitably appear. Kilkenny up next and they'll be out to make up for the Walsh Cup defeat. No doubt the usual responce from Joe Dooley "good workout, young team in transition etc etc..."
I Think your abit hard on dooley there bracknaghboy, in their history offaly have only won once in cork and thats going back to the good teams 80s and 90s.
just got in home from the match the turning point of the match was we just missed
a goal the ball went up the field and aiske o hailpin got a goal they ran out easy winner's after that. the lad's gave their best they are up against cork today top hurling county. don't know if you were at the match bracknaghboy but i hate lad's
coming on talking s..t about joe dooley and the team and they were at home watching liverpool and city on sky. plus bracknaghboy i never here you running down the footballer's after last sundays crap, at least the hurler's can hold there head's up after losing again cork, can say the same about the footballer's losing to wexford again div 3 football. yes i will be in nowlan park next sunday as well
won't be at home running down joe dooley and offaly hurling. :x

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Bord na Mona man wrote:I feel the problem for Offaly is two fold.
Firstly too much petrol being used in the first half against the big teams. Typically at the start of these encounters 3 Offaly men seem to tear in to gang tackle every opponent in possession. Yes, it yields the odd possession turnover, but it takes it toll. It is fire and brimstone, bodies on the line stuff without much intelligence. Most of it is wasted energy, its like a marathon runner deciding to sprint the first five miles.

Secondly, the reaction to setbacks is almost awful woeful. A goal around the 40-50th generally reduces Offaly to a disorganised rabble. This is sort of related to the first point. The team are too wound initially, that it doesn't have the calmness to bounce back. You almost sense the feeling is: "We've half killed ourselves so far today and now we're a goal behind. That's us done for". In similar situations, the great teams know how to shut up shop for a few minutes until the game ebbs back in their favour. Offaly usually concede a further 3 or 4 consecutive cake walk scores, with players being 5 yards off the man they are supposed to be marking.

If you were Brian Cody, or Liam Sheedy sending your team out to play Offaly you'd probably instruct your players to ride out the initial burst of exuberance and then dismantle Offaly in the second half when the scores are easy to come by.
I'd agree 100% with BNM mans summary here. The next question is what if anything can be done about it? If they don't go hammering into teams from the 1st minute then will they just be blown away by halftime. As for the reaction to setbacks well I think feeling that games are over after one (setback) is now ingrained in the minds of this team and has been for a few years now. Maybe we will just have to face up to the fact that we do not have a senior hurling team that is capable of competing for honours :(

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

bracknaghboy wrote:As for the reaction to setbacks well I think feeling that games are over after one (setback) is now ingrained in the minds of this team and has been for a few years now.
Yep, I think it has now become a self-fulfilling prophesy at this stage. Banging in a 2nd half goal against Offaly is as good as scoring 1-4 or 1-5...and usually ends up being that way.