OFFALY V FERMANAGH. 07/02/2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
black and red exile
All Star

OFFALY V FERMANAGH. 07/02/2010

Post by black and red exile »

In my opinion this game is so very important to our chances of promotion. We have to win this game if we are to have any hope of going up, with some nasty away trips to that awful Wexford Park, Cavan and Sligo its vitally important we win our home matches. Sunday's opponents look to be very awkward opposition, I don't know too much about the Eyrne County[LS WILL NO DOUBT HAVE MORE INFO] but what ive seen of them over the last few years they play a very high energy game, they give you no time on the ball whatsoever. We can't afford the old hand passing from one side of the pitch to the other because these guys will smother us in no time, if one of our lads holds on to possession for a split second too long just watch how he will be swarmed by green jerseys and watch when a Fermanagh player loses possession how every player from 1 to 15 gets behind the ball to defend, there will be times when ya think they have 20 players on the pitch.
Their excellent midfielder Marty McGrath looks set to miss Sunday's game [WHICH IS NO HARM] but on the minus side Rory Gallagher is set to be back in the groove with his own County again and if this guy has one of his good days we could be in a spot of bother.
Malachy O Rourke is a very good tactition and will no doubt target Niall Mac as our danger man so our other forwards are going to have to come up with the goods to make up for Niall being marked tighter than a wino with a raincoat. Looking forward very much in seeing what Offaly team lines out and especially looking forward to seeing what tactics Mr Cribben employs.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Re: OFFALY V FERMANAGH.

Post by Offaly2010 »

Anyone have any idea what kind of a team will be lining out Sunday?

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Hope he picks a better team than he has to now and why is he persisting with Niall Mac at centre forward.
Be careful out their

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

As regards the history bit, Offaly have played Fermanagh 8 times in previous NFL fixtures, with Offaly leading 7-1.

The sides met in six successive years during the mid-to-late '80's during the torrid 'Division 3 North' years. Remember those?!! Offaly won 5 of those 6 matches, Fermanagh winning in 1987/88 in Irvinestown, where Fermanagh played quite alot in those times.

Their next meeting came in 1997 in Tullamore, both sides unbeaten and was the day Tommy Lyons' cubs laid down a marker with an emphatic 2-13 to 1-3 win, the 13-14-15 axis of Vinny Claffey, Roy Malone and Peter Brady serving notice of what the year ahead would bring.

The most recent meeting came in 2006, Offaly winning 4-13 to 2-12 in Enniskillen.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

At a guess I'd say Fermanagh play their traditional swarming and crowding game of the last few years. Unless they've gotten hold of a few big men that is. So I'd expect them to defend and attack in bunches.

It goes without saying that Offaly will need to move the ball quickly, with the boot if possible and not get caught in possession.
Attacking down the wings and avoiding crossing back across the centre would be the safest way of preventing counter attacking.
Even if kicks go over the endline, sideline, or not to a team mate, it's better than turning it over where Fermanagh can break into an open pitch.

I'd say Niall Mc and Ken Casey would be the best inside targets and see how they get on. Though if Fermanagh have a sweeper back to crowd things, then maybe look to add a bigger target man.

Any idea what the team is?
Has Hyper picked it yet? :mrgreen:

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Promotion the target for Cribbin

OFFALY manager Tom Cribbin begins his first full league campaign at the helm this Sunday. The Kildare native took charge last year midway through the league and guided the side to third in Division 3.
Speaking ahead of the season opener, the Offaly manager spoke to the Offaly Express and he was adamanat that the aim for the league was promotion although he did acknowledge that a tough battle lies ahead.

"Definitely the aim is promotion without a shadow of a doubt. All the teams will feel that there is no team that stands out above the others. We are all in with a fighting chance but we have four league matches at home and if we can capitalise on our home games and pick up a few points away we will be there or thereabouts."

Offaly begin their campaign this Sunday in O'Connor Park against Fermanagh. The Ulster side have played four competitive games in advance of the start of the league and while Tom Cribbin is confident his side can open with a win, he acknowledges that Fermangh's preparations will benefit them.

"Everyone wants to win their first game. Fermanagh though are after having four competitive games in the McKenna Cup and they beat Armagh, Monaghan and Jordanstown. It's to be difficult for us as they have been getting two competitive games a week. But because we have had so many new players into the panel and four of fives lads away playing for their colleges and another four out through injury it's been a little bit more difficult for us to prepare."

While the college players will be back in the ranks this Sunday, Tom Cribbin will still be without a number of experienced players and he says that he may use some of the Under 21s who will be in action for their clubs this week.

"The two Darbys (Brian and Niall) and PJ Ward probably won't be back until tlater in the league. We may have to use some of the Under 21 players. Some of them have a lot of experience from playing with the county. Sean Pender has a lot of experience playing underage with the county and he's playing extremely well at the moment. Brian Connor is playing midfield with AIT and is playing county Under 21. He's also playing very well but at the same time we have to let the Under 21 club championship go ahead this weekend so providing none of those young players pick up any injuries, they will be in contention for Sunday."

Fermanagh are the bookies favourites to top Divison 3 ahead of Sligo and Wexford. While the Offaly manager agrees that Fermanagh are a strong side, he also points to last weekend's results as a sign of the strength in the division.

"I think looking at the results last weekend where Wexford beat Westmeath reasonably well without some of their star players. I believe Matty Forde is going very well in club football down there. As well as that Louth beat Kildare in Newbridge making two good results for them.

"I think every game in Division 3 this year is going to be very very difficult. I think all teams are going to lose points and whichever team can get the most points at home will probably get promotion."

http://www.offalyexpress.ie/sport/Promo ... 6039198.jp

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Rory and Ronan Gallagher to miss Fermanagh NFL game

Fermanagh brothers Rory and Ronan Gallagher are out of the NFL opener against Offaly after their club St Gall's insisted they do not play.

St Gall's take on Connacht champions Corofin in the All-Ireland senior club semi-finals later this month.

Gall's boss Lenny Harbinson wants his players to put all their efforts into the last four encounter.

The Erne side's long list of absentees for the game also includes Barry Owens, Marty McGrath and Ryan McCluskey.

Eamonn Maguire, Mark Little and Mark Murphy are another three players currently sidelined.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/norther ... 499870.stm

Johnno81
County player

Post by Johnno81 »

Any word on the team for Sunday??

black and red exile
All Star

There is little point in worrying about what team will line out for Sunday, for some strange reason over the last number of years our Football and hurling managements are very reluctant to name teams a few days before a league game, why I don't know, it's not like we have any secret weapons. If we are lucky we might hear the team on Midlands 103 on Saturday evening between 5 and 6pm, if not most of us may wait until we buy a programme on Sunday. The irritating thing about this is that an awful lot of other counties have no problems naming their teams on the Thursday before the game so why the hell can't we?

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Yes it is irritating you never know offaly team till you get a programme on the sunday or see them line out before the throw in.
its only the last few years they are doing this, maybe joe and tom are keeping their cards close to their chest :lol:

Frank Mcguigan
Junior A

Post by Frank Mcguigan »

Or more realisticly its to prevent lads who are not on the team going on the lash because they are not picked.
I used to think it was great being a wee nippy corner forward, but it's better now being a big, fat one.

black and red exile
All Star

I see now that the two Gallaghers are now selected on Sunday. Ronan in goal and Rory at full forward. Apparently they got permission from their club to tog out.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Good win for Offaly today. Not for the purists, but well earned. The workrate and effort was very good. I think Offaly men putting in 4 or 5 diving block downs during the match tells it own tale.

Perhaps Offaly should have closed out the game a bit better with Fermanagh down to 14 men from about the half hour. The decision making in possession wasn't always the best.
Overall Offaly were the better side. Fermanagh got a fortunate enough first half goal against the run of play to leave them only a point behind at half time.
Ciaran McManus' second half goal gave the Faithful some breathing space. Though they never could stretch the lead beyond the 'sucker punch' goal territory.

I'm not sure what the sending off (called by the umpire) was for? It was gas to hear the Fermanagh fans giving it to the ref with both barrels at half time, yet none of them had seen the incident to know whether the sending off was warranted or not! :mrgreen:

There were some good performances for Offaly. David Egan at wing forward drifted into space cleverly, carried the ball well and laid it off intelligently. John Reynolds and Ken Casey worked hard in the forwards and got crucial scores. Shane Sullivan came into it very well in the second half as the spare man. Karol Slattery also showed flashes of his best form.
Brian Connor and Richie Dalton at midfield would be worth giving more game time to. Dalton is decent in the air and Connor is strong and physical in the tussles.
In goals Alan Mulhall gave another assured performance under the dropping ball. The very inexperienced Offaly full back line looked stretched at times, however they stuck to their task.

Tom Cribbin showed his ruthless streak by subbing Niall McNamee for Anton Sullivan. Niall had one of those days when the casual flicks and swerves didn't quite work out.

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

This has to be a positive result. The important thing is to use this to build on, the next defeat doesn't have to be the end it. You use victories like this to prove that you can do it. I get knocked down, I get up again.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Lads, we were poor but won, we have a poor Wexford next and a poorer Roscommon after that. We could have 6 points after 3 games but we were very poor on Sunday.We played the whole second half with an extra man (don't forget). We need to beat Wexford on Sunday as I have a pain in my B**L*X with them yellow bellies beating us. They won only 2 matches last year in all competitions and who did they beat in the 2 of them, OFFALY.
Be careful out their