Clara vs. Portlaoise - Leinster club semi final 22/11/2009

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
black and red exile
All Star

Re: Clara vs. Portlaoise - Leinster club semi final 22/11/2009

Post by black and red exile »

There is no way in the world that O Moore Park would hold a double header next Sunday, the weather for the coming week is crap too. It looks like the game will either be in Tullamore or Portlaoise next Saturday and i've a feeling if it's Portlaoise then the hurling final will be moved to Dr Cullen Park next Sunday as it would be extremely doubtful that O Moore Park would hold 2 games in 24 hours with the current weather conditions.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

A big factor in this too will be the fact that whatever about O'Moore Park hosting two games in 24 hours, there is no way that the hurling powers that be will tolerate being the second game and getting a cut up pitch for their decider - and neither should they. I'm sure the Laois county board will want to keep both games at home, but despite the more lucrative game probably being the hurling, I'd expect that that's the one that will move away - probably to Dr Cullen Park, but possibly to Parnell Park either, since Dublin seems to be missing the worst of this weather.

As for the game today, it was a huge pity because Clara were in a great position and playing well. That breeze was worth five points at least, as evidenced by some of the excellent long range points that Portlaoise took in the first half (they still had to be well directed, but the wind was a huge help). Of course things can change, but I thought Clara were moving the ball very well, and finding each other very accurately in difficult conditions. Thomas Deehan was on fire again (though as one wag in the crowd put it, that rain wouldn't be long putting him out!) and as we've all seen, when he's having a good day, he's very hard to curtail.

Scott Brady was winning midfield very well, Graham Guilfoyle proved in a couple of instances that real pace is very hard to stop from wing forward, and despite a few scary moments when Clara tried to walk the ball out of their own small square, I thought that their full back line held up very well, and did a great job on Cahillane who looked sharp as a tack in there. They've proven that they are well capable of putting it up to Portlaoise, and if they can repeat that performance again (no easy feat, granted) they'll be in with a great chance of getting to a Leinster final.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Well, yesterday certainly provided an appetizer, if nothing else!

Clara started very well, scoring a fortuitous goal and adding 3 points on top. Scott Brady was dominating the middle of the field and Thomas Deehan was very lively indeed. After 10 minutes or so, Clara led by 1-3 0-2. Then Portlaoise were awarded what I thought was a soft enough penalty when Brian McCormack appeared to be brought down in the small square. The resulting penalty was struck against the outside of Kevin Meehans left-hand post and went wide.

After that, Portlaoise dominated the remainder of the first-half. The wind was playing a big role, but Clara were struggling to win any kind of ball around the middle - neither clean or breaking ball. McCormack showed he's a very good footballer - he's attacking minded and a very direct runner with the ball. On more than one occasion, he breached the Clara defence with his directness. During this spell, Portlaoise kicked 5 points without reply, coming (I think) from each of the midfielders, the left-half back, the full-back and one of the corner forwards. For me, this was the most impressive aspect of their game - that so many different guys could split the posts.

Clara did manage to get the ball out a couple of times, mostly through Graham Guilfoyle, and won two frees during this period. Deehan kicked one tricky one wide and then slotted the second over the bar to level matters late in the first half.

Half Time: Clara 1-4 Portlaoise 0-7

For the last 10 minutes of the first half and the entire duration of a pro-longed half-time period (probably 20 minutes), the rain just kept coming. The Portlaoise pitch, when you consider the weather we've had, was actually fairly playable at the start of the match. By the start of the second half, it was dangerous and entirely unplayable. Strangely enough, after the teams came out for the second half, the referee and one of his linesmen thoroughly inspected the pitch - and then after much discussion, decided to play on!

The game didn't last long. Most players couldn't catch, rise or keep the ball. Clara seemed to adapt better to the desperate water-polo conditions and Stephen Deehan nosed them in front about 4 minutes into the second half, kicking a nice point off his left. Then Portlaoise got the ball down the field and kicked what was an obvious wide, though they tried very hard to claim it! And that was the last of yesterdays football.

When the replay will be, we hope to find out tonight. I don't think there's too many pitches that will survive either a double-header or games in sucessive days. Since the Leinster Hurling Final is scheduled to be played in Portlaoise next Sunday, something must change. Either the hurling will be moved to another ground - which seems most likely, given that it's being played at a neutral venue anyway - or the football could find it's way over to O'Connor Park. Added to this is the fact that the Leinster Council may facilitate Offaly people that want to attend both games - so it's probably unlikely that both games will be played on the same day. The smart money has to be on the game being re-fixed for Portlaoise next Saturday.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Frank Mcguigan
Junior A

Post by Frank Mcguigan »

though as one wag in the crowd put it, that rain wouldn't be long putting him out!)
Think his 0-4 pionts in 33minutes yesterday showed how stupid a statement that was .

Anyway reply fixed for 2.15 in Portlaoise on Saturday
I used to think it was great being a wee nippy corner forward, but it's better now being a big, fat one.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Is the Gaeilge for Clara An Clárach or Cloirtheach?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I think the correct spelling is S.E.A.B.H.A.C

:lol: :lol:
The night is darkest before the dawn

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

The re-fixture is due to take place on Saturday in O'Moore Park at 2:15p.m. Because the game was abandoned on Sunday,you can get into O'Moore Park free of charge on Saturday.

Because of the similarity in colours,both teams have been asked to wear their county colours for the game on Saturday.

Anyone know if Ross Brady can play this game?

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Offaly2010 wrote: Anyone know if Ross Brady can play this game?
As far as I know, Ross Brady's ban expires on Saturday 5th December.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

The Magpie wrote:
Fairly sure this is the case.

Plus I see POTH was watching TG4's haighlights as well - that Cloirtheach translation caught me on the hop too, though I'd be slow to take issue with any vocabulary coming from over Spiddal way
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Offaly2010 wrote:The re-fixture is due to take place on Saturday in O'Moore Park at 2:15p.m. Because the game was abandoned on Sunday,you can get into O'Moore Park free of charge on Saturday.

Because of the similarity in colours,both teams have been asked to wear their county colours for the game on Saturday.
That's a good idea - the colour clash was ridiculous!!

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Lone Shark wrote:
The Magpie wrote:
Fairly sure this is the case.

Plus I see POTH was watching TG4's haighlights as well - that Cloirtheach translation caught me on the hop too, though I'd be slow to take issue with any vocabulary coming from over Spiddal way
If in doubt - check logainm.ie!

http://logainm.ie/?text=clara&placeID=1165802&uiLang=ga

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Is the Gaeilge for Clara An Clárach or Cloirtheach?
Cloirtheach is used on the sign in the railway station, however in the everyday vocabulary of the local masses, it has always been Clárach.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Cheers for the link, Turk.

According to logainm.ie Clara in Offaly is Clóirtheach but Clara in Kilkenny is Clárach. The county final programme used An Clárach, but the signposts leading into Clara read Clóirtheach.

I just looked up Lusmagh on logainm.ie and the Gaeilge there is Lusmhaigh. Thing is, the Gaeilge for Lusmagh was always Lusmá and only when the signposts arrived on the Banagher bypass was Lusmhaigh used for the first time. At least now I know where they got the new version though that doesn't make it right either. And I won't be changing my user name to the plural.
turk wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:Plus I see POTH was watching TG4's haighlights as well - that Cloirtheach translation caught me on the hop too, though I'd be slow to take issue with any vocabulary coming from over Spiddal way

Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

That's the thing you see, there's hundreds of them that are at variance from the local versions - but that's where Minister O'Cuiv got bang for his bucks
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Cheers for the link, Turk.

According to logainm.ie Clara in Offaly is Clóirtheach but Clara in Kilkenny is Clárach. The county final programme used An Clárach, but the signposts leading into Clara read Clóirtheach.

I just looked up Lusmagh on logainm.ie and the Gaeilge there is Lusmhaigh. Thing is, the Gaeilge for Lusmagh was always Lusmá and only when the signposts arrived on the Banagher bypass was Lusmhaigh used for the first time. At least now I know where they got the new version though that doesn't make it right either. And I won't be changing my user name to the plural.
turk wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:Plus I see POTH was watching TG4's haighlights as well - that Cloirtheach translation caught me on the hop too, though I'd be slow to take issue with any vocabulary coming from over Spiddal way

mykneehurts
County player

Post by mykneehurts »

Missed the start and the goal but thought Portlaoise lorded midfield. Having said that on a wet day like that it can be hard to get the ball out of defence so I'd imagine Clara were capable of getting a run on Portlaoise. Tommo should have had a goal too. Good save from the keeper. Very impressed with Guilfoyle's general attitude and play. Always wants the ball and is a leader in the team already I think.

As for the Irish, "An Clárach" means flatland if my memory serves me correctly so that might make sense considering the bogland around Clara. Not sure about "An Cloirtheach" but I know that the signs in Kilkenny are as confusing as the ones in Offaly. Clara is spelled both ways there too!