Offaly: “A higher calibre of individual” – McDonagh

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Offaly: “A higher calibre of individual” – McDonagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Confirming what we already knew but it’s in the new book, Henry Martin’s Unlimited Heartbreak – The Inside Story of Limerick Hurling. On page 303, corner back Steve McDonagh talks about some nasty encounters they had with Wexford, in particular the 2001 quarter final and a ‘messy’ NHL match in Enniscorthy in 1997 (the year after the 1996 All-Ireland between the two) when there was alot of bad mouthing going on and he says Liam Dunne told Gary Kirby he’d show him his All-Ireland medal.

He goes on to say
The difference in class between the Wexford players and the Offaly players in my opinion was huge. Offaly were able to carry themselves. They had a bit of class about them off the field, a higher calibre of individual. We had a great relationship with Offaly. I would have had fierce high regard for the Offaly players, but I couldn’t say the same about Wexford. There may have been fierce rivalry at the time between Limerick and Clare but at the back of it all there was a fierce respect. In my case I wouldn’t have that respect for Wexford. Certainly some of them were fine, but I wouldn’t have any grá for the majority of them. Our paths don’t cross that often but that suits me fine.
I’ve only read some of it but I hit on that gem. It’s a very good book charting Limerick’s hurling story since the Mackey era. It does have a recurring theme of bad county board judgement and interference while referees get the blame for many of their defeats too.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Oceans 15
County player

Re: Offaly: “A higher calibre of individual” – McDonagh

Post by Oceans 15 »

I'm not surprised at McDonagh's comments.... I felt like putting my boot through the TV when I seen the Laochra Gael on Liam Dunne. Himself and I think it was Martin Storey start sneering and mimicking John Troy saying he got Liam Dunne sent off one year. Liam Dunne on the Leinster Team of the last 25 years was a joke, he was a hatchet man....

The saying wasn't too far wrong Strawberries & .........

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Well done Stephen McDonagh.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

One thing about Offaly is that there isn't a tendency to boast and rub it in the way other, especially Munster teams tend to - Clare, Tipp, Cork etc.
It might even be a failing, because Offaly probably didn't get the same recognition for their achievements as other counties did. Possibly by not engaging in the same level of bragging and chest beating as say; Clare in the 90s did.
The Offaly reaction in 1994 was almost one of embarrassment, due to Limerick's collapse.

The dynamic between Limerick and Wexford would have been different. There was a lot of bitterness from Limerick over the Liam Dunne - Gary Kirby incident.
The '96 All Ireland defeat to Wexford seems to rankle more in Limerick more than the '94 defeat to Offaly.

The Laochra Gael episode on Liam Dunne was bizarre all right. Accusing Troy of faking injury was an attempt at a cop out.