Offaly SFC County Final 11/10/09 @ 15:30

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Senior football final - Clara vs. Rhode - 11th October 2009

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I'll try and get the ball thrown in here.
There seems to a good atmosphere building in Clara for this one. Hopefully Clara didn't use up all their gunpowder in the first half against Pullagh?
Rhode certainly can't claim they haven't had ample warning.

The Magpies have been going well up front especially with Tommo Deehan on a great run of form. The support cast isn't half bad too with John O'Hara and John Reynolds capable of getting the scores and a decent work rate around the rest of the forward line.

The backs have held out well this year, which would have been a worry with absentees. A settled defensive unit is something Clara have rarely had. They'll expect to be really tested by Rhode's talented forward line.

Joe Quinn made a decent fist of marking Niall McNamee in the 2006 final and Clara really need someone to put the shackles on him on Sunday. Its a high risk stuff because you need someone able to win the high deliveries in front of Niall, without ever getting lobbed.
Pat Flanagan has never been afraid to re-jig things, but given the quality Rhode have, they can smash and grab in a matter of moments.
The Magpie would be better qualified to give an assessment on the runners and riders here.

In the 2003 and 2006 county finals, the winners essentially won the game in the first half, but I'd expect this one to pan out differently.

I'll sit on the fence here, hedge my bets and be cagey with my prediction...A 12 point win for Clara and Rhode finishing with 13 men! :twisted:

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Re: Senior football final - Clara vs. Rhode - 11th October 2009

Post by Kemo Sabe »

its rhode all the way for me .even though they beat shamrocks easy i still think they havent hit top form yet .its like lastyear wher they cruised along to the final and then blew tullamore away in the final :( .clara had a good win in the semi final but rovers were very poor that day so its hard to know what to take from that game .they will not get the same freedom against rhode and will be interesting to see if they have a plan b if the full forward line isnt getting much joy .all in all rhode have the better balance all over the pitch and will win by 5 or 6 points .
great history hoping for a better future

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

i think the one thing that could go against rhode is they have played very little competitive games this year as they cantered through the championship with ease,on the other hand clara have had a couple of close games so they will be very sharp and match fit,so if they could rattle rhode by playing at high tempo they might get over the finish line.depending how the game pans out .clara by a whisker or rhode by a cricket score

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Tis a while since Clara had a competitive game too. I feel Clara will benefit from a few testers lobbed in around the square to test out the Rhode keeper. Otherwise Clara need to be solid on the breaks around midfield. I think the Rhode half forward line should be well beaten under the breaks but they were allowed to win everything against Shamrocks. Then it will come down to the two full back lines. I think Rhode have a stronger backline, but if Clara win around midfield, they will be able to get a decent supply inside.
Any word on Alan Mcs injury from the semi, is he fully fit or whats the story?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Georgio1 wrote: I feel Clara will benefit from a few testers lobbed in around the square to test out the Rhode keeper.
It would definitely be worth a shot.
Unfortunately Clara don't have an abundance of tall and strong men to put the frighteners on a keeper and full back line under the high ball.
Also, if Rhode cut the supply line to Clara's blue chip forwards, Clara would struggle to switch to route one. The bench probably lacks the experienced old fox to come on, hang near the goal and cause a bit of worry.

As regards Rhode, my suspicion is that they get worried by the sight of a few six footers with a bit of muscle. Moorefield and Kilmacud would have had these sort of big men. You don't get it as much in Offaly club football and therein lies the problem for all concerned.

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

I think Rhode will win well...Who in the Clara backline will hold Niall, Anton, Pascal, Roy???? Matt Mitchell is a good skillful footballer but is not a good tight defender..How many of the Clara backs would get on the Rhode team??

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

I'd imagine Clara would have to win at least 75% of the ball in midfield to win this one as their backs just couldn't handle the Rhode forwards for the whole game. Thats a big ask though. To be honest its the only way I think a team can beat Rhode at this stage, in Offaly anyway.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Clara will look to get men behind the ball and crowd things. The team workrate is usually good.
Rhode have so many scoring options though. Even their wingbacks carry more attackign threat than your average club forward!

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Offaly SFC County Final 11/10/09 @ 15:30

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Just picking this up from the tipsters thread. What is Joe Quinns story? Has he played ball since his illness?
The night is darkest before the dawn

The Magpie
All Star

Re: Offaly SFC County Final 11/10/09 @ 15:30

Post by The Magpie »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:Just picking this up from the tipsters thread. What is Joe Quinns story? Has he played ball since his illness?
No, not at all. You'll see him on the sideline on Sunday, but he's not in a position to play.

I don't think he'll be playing football in the near future.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Re: Offaly SFC County Final 11/10/09 @ 15:30

He is a big loss.
Always works hard, doesn't give up.
The sort of player that every team needs.

As an aside. Its surely no coincidence that Leinster rugby's fortunes have taken an upswing since they got a bit of consultancy from Joe. :mrgreen: