Updated Fixtures and Draft Schedule of Remaining Games

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
doobane man
County player

Updated Fixtures and Draft Schedule of Remaining Games

Post by doobane man »

Tuesday 24th August
Aidan Bracken Building Design Junior A Hurling Championship
Drumcullen v Seir Kieran Rath P Freeman 7.00 pm

Thursday 27th August
Minor B Hurling Championship
Clara v Shamrocks Clara N Cooney 7.00 pm
Ballinamere/Durrow v Na Fianna Ballinamere S Fleming 7.00 pm
Kinnitty v CRC Gaels Kinnitty M Walsh 7.00 pm

Friday 28th August

Tullamore Court Hotel Junior A Football Championship Quarter Finals
Ferbane v Daingean Clara M Coughlan 7.00 pm
Gracefield v Durrow Walsh Island T Darby 7.00 pm
Tullamore Court Hotel Junior B Football Championship
Erin Rover’s v Shannonbridge Pullough B Cronin 7.00pm

Saturday 29th August
Tullamore Court Hotel Senior Football Championship Quarter Finals
Ferbane v Erin Rovers O C P E Dunne 6.00 pm

Tullamore Court Hotel Intermediate Football Championship Quarter Finals
Doon v Bracknagh O C P B Gavin 4.30 pm

Tullamore Court Hotel Senior Football Championship Relegation Playoff
Shannonbridge v Gracefield Killeigh P Jordan 5.00 pm

Aidan Bracken Building Design Senior Hurling Championship Round 1 Proper
Shinrone v Lusmagh Carraig P Freeman 6.00 pm

Aidan Bracken Building Design Intermediate Hurling Championship Relegation Playoff
Killavilla v Kinnitty Coolderry M Kirwan 5.00 pm
Tullamore Court Hotel Junior A Football Championship Relegation Playoff
Shamrocks v Ballycumber Pullough M Buckley 4.30 pm

Sunday 30th August
Tullamore Court Hotel Senior Football Championship Quarter Finals
Tubber v Shamrock’s O C P E Cusack 6.30 pm
Ballyskenagh v Tullamore Birr M Walsh 6.00 pm

Tullamore Court Hotel Intermediate Football Championship Quarter Finals
Raheen v St Rynagh’s O C P D Daly 5.00 pm

Tullamore Court Hotel Junior C Football Championship Playoff
Ferbane v Drumcullen Rahan M Buckley 12 noon
Monday 31st August
Tullamore Court Hotel Intermediate Football Championship Relegation Playoff
Clonbullogue v Tullamore Gracefield D Walsh 7.00 pm

Wednesday2nd September
Minor A Hurling Championship
St Rynagh’s v Birr Banagher P Egan 7.00 pm
Shinrone v Kilcormac/Killoughey Shinrone D Cooke 7.00 pm
St David’s v Tullamore Ballinamere N Flynn 7.00 pm
Coolderry v Seir Kieran Og Coolderry M Kirwan 7.00 pm

Friday 4th September
Aidan Bracken Building Design Intermediate Hurling Championship Quarter/Final
Clara v Ballinamere O C P N Flynn 6.30 pm
Minor B Football Championship
Birr v St Rynaghs Birr M Kirwan 6.30 pm
Gracefield v Shamrocks Gracefield K Groome 6.30 pm
Kilcormac/Killoughey v DER Gaels Kilcormac M Walsh 6.30 pm

Friday 4th September
Minor A Football Championship
Edenderry v Rhode Edenderry C Costello 6.30 pm
Tullamore v Ballycumber/Tubber O Brien Park E Dunne 6.30 pm
Na Fianna v Ferbane/Belmont Geashill C Costello 6.30 pm

Saturday 5th September
Shamrocks v Seir Kieran O C P C Buckley 6.00 pm
Kinnitty v Belmont Birr M Walsh 6.00 pm

Aidan Bracken Building Design Intermediate Hurling Championship Quarter/Final
Kilcormac/Kill v Brosna Gaels O C P K Groome 4.30 pm
Minor A Football Championship
St Vincents v Clara Ballycommon N Cooney 6.30 pm
Minor B Football Championship
St Broughans v Ballinamere/Durrow Bracknagh J O Reilly 6.30 pm

Division 3 Hurling League Final
Drumcullen v Tullamore Killurin N Cooney 6.00 pm

Sunday 6th September
Aidan Bracken Building Design Junior B Hurling Championship Quarter/Finals
Ballinamere v Seir Kieran Killeigh N Cooney 12 noon
Raheen v Brosna Gaels Killurin P Egan 12 noon

Draw for Junior A Hurling Quarter/Finals and Semi/Finals will take place in Rath on Tuesday 24th AT 8 30 Approx

doobane man
County player

Re: Updated Fixtures and Draft Schedule of Remaining Games

Post by doobane man »

And the Draft Schedule
August 29/30th
Senior Intermediate and Junior A Football Quarter/Finals
Senior Hurling round 1 Proper where possible
September 5/6th
Intermediate and Junior B Hurlng Quarter/finals
Junior B Football Quarter/finals
Senior Hurling Quarter Finals x 2
Senior Hurling Relegation Playoff
September 12/13th
Senior and Junior A Hurling Quarter/finals .(if)
Intermediate and Junior Football Semi/finals (if)
September 19/20th
Senior Football semi/final
Intermediate and Junior B Hurlng Semi/finals
Junior B Hurling Semi/finals (if)
Junior B Football Semi/finals (if)
Junior C Football Semi/finals
September 26/27th
Senior Hurling Semi/final
Senior Football semi/final
Intermediate Football Final
Junior A Hurling Semi/finals
Minor A/B Hurling Semi/finals (if)
October 3rd 4th
Senior Hurling Semi/final
Intermediate Hurling Final
Junior A Football Final (if)
Junior B Hurling Final (if)
Junior B Football Final
Minor A/B Football Semi/finals (if)
Junior C Football Final
October 10/11th
Senior Football Final
Junior A Hurling Final (if)
Junior A Football Final (if)
Minor A Football Final (if)
October 17/18th
Senior Hurling Final
Junior A Hurling Final (if)
Minor A Hurling Final(if)
Minor A Football Final (if)
Minor B Hurling Final
October 24/25th
Minor A Hurling Final(if)

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Much obliged good sir.
doobane man wrote: Tullamore Court Hotel Junior C Football Championship Playoff
Ferbane v Drumcullen Rahan M Buckley 12 noon
Any idea whether this is the first game of a three way round robin, or is it just a case of the winners of this play Kilclonfert for the semi final place?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Cheers Doobane Man
The night is darkest before the dawn

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

i know there will be problems no matter what you do, but that's a big chunk of a gap for Rhode or Clara if they end up playing in the semi final on the 26th. It's a big gap anyway to be honest, but so many dual clubs does make life tricky.

doobane man
County player

Post by doobane man »

Can only agree with you on that. It's a very long gap for the Rhode and/or Clara if either or both are drawn in that semi-final. I would imagine if they're drawn against each other that every effort will be made to ensure they play on the first semi-final weekend. The involvement of Shamrocks, St Rynaghs and Ferbane / Belmont in the latter stages makes things a little difficult for scheduling but there was always the likelihood of some dual club lasting the pace in both codes.
The Junior 'C' play-off will probably progress with the loser of the Ferbane v Drumcullen facing Kilclonfert and thus creating the possibility of a winner takes all final game if that team were to lose a second time. Of course the loser could beat Kilclonfert, creating the possibility of all teams finishing on 2 points. The same applies to Intermediate relegation play-off with the possibility of Tullamore defeating Clonbullogue (remote enough unless Tullamore rapidly get their act together) leaving all 3 teams on 2 points - in which case scoring difference will decide.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

doobane man wrote:Can only agree with you on that. It's a very long gap for the Rhode and/or Clara if either or both are drawn in that semi-final. I would imagine if they're drawn against each other that every effort will be made to ensure they play on the first semi-final weekend. The involvement of Shamrocks, St Rynaghs and Ferbane / Belmont in the latter stages makes things a little difficult for scheduling but there was always the likelihood of some dual club lasting the pace in both codes.
The Junior 'C' play-off will probably progress with the loser of the Ferbane v Drumcullen facing Kilclonfert and thus creating the possibility of a winner takes all final game if that team were to lose a second time. Of course the loser could beat Kilclonfert, creating the possibility of all teams finishing on 2 points. The same applies to Intermediate relegation play-off with the possibility of Tullamore defeating Clonbullogue (remote enough unless Tullamore rapidly get their act together) leaving all 3 teams on 2 points - in which case scoring difference will decide.
Just looking at the whole thing there, it does seem a touch drawn out in the SFC. Seeing as you have Rhode, Clara and possibly one or both of Erin Rovers and Tubber in the football semis, is there not every possibility of at least one football semi on the 12th/13th? Thus giving you a bit more flexibility if you have a draw necessitating a replay. Or are we spreading out the games to maximise attendances in this instance?

On the other hand, anything that leads to Rhode getting rusty could only suit the everyone else .... :P

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I suppose the further they can stretch it out, the shorter the gap the eventual winners would have before the start of the Club Championship. Just a hunch. I havent seen a schedule for that but it doesn't usually start until November.
Lone Shark wrote:
doobane man wrote:Can only agree with you on that. It's a very long gap for the Rhode and/or Clara if either or both are drawn in that semi-final. I would imagine if they're drawn against each other that every effort will be made to ensure they play on the first semi-final weekend. The involvement of Shamrocks, St Rynaghs and Ferbane / Belmont in the latter stages makes things a little difficult for scheduling but there was always the likelihood of some dual club lasting the pace in both codes.
Just looking at the whole thing there, it does seem a touch drawn out in the SFC. Seeing as you have Rhode, Clara and possibly one or both of Erin Rovers and Tubber in the football semis, is there not every possibility of at least one football semi on the 12th/13th? Thus giving you a bit more flexibility if you have a draw necessitating a replay. Or are we spreading out the games to maximise attendances in this instance?

On the other hand, anything that leads to Rhode getting rusty could only suit the everyone else .... :P
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

doobane man
County player

Post by doobane man »

I believe that there is an additional consideration on the weekend of 12th/13th with Offaly participating in the All Ireland Camogie Final so the number of games on that Sunday will be minimal and Saturday is already quite crowded with the majority of SHC quarter finals. I presume that is the main reason that a semi final is not considered for that weekend.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Maybe, but last year they played a football semi-final in OCP on the evening of the camogie final. Also I remember being at a minor hurling match at the same time the camogie was on, and getting home for the second half. The camogie final will be at 12 noon, or thereabouts.

Of course, they might chance the policy of matches on Camogie final Sunday this year.
doobane man wrote:I believe that there is an additional consideration on the weekend of 12th/13th with Offaly participating in the All Ireland Camogie Final so the number of games on that Sunday will be minimal and Saturday is already quite crowded with the majority of SHC quarter finals. I presume that is the main reason that a semi final is not considered for that weekend.

Toby
Junior C

Post by Toby »

I dont see why one of the semi finals of the senior football is left til 26th/27th. That is a big gap even for quarter final winners nevermind the two teams already through.

Would it not make more sense to play both semi finals the 19th/20th on the Sat and Sun respectively? Or play one the 12th/13th and the other on 19th/20th?

Myself I cant see why they are played on separate weekends anyway. Both semi's in all grades should be given the one weekend.

doobane man
County player

Post by doobane man »

Toby wrote:
Myself I cant see why they are played on separate weekends anyway. Both semi's in all grades should be given the one weekend.
That has proven to be extremely unattractive financially in the past. The potential audience for Offaly club matches is limited and neutrals attending games are basically the same people (some who attend both codes and some attending either hurling or football matches). They have tended to be more likely to attend both semi-finals if they are on consecutive weekends rather than consecutive days.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

The extortion of the hard-pressed regular matchgoer if you ask me. :(
doobane man wrote:
Toby wrote:Myself I cant see why they are played on separate weekends anyway. Both semi's in all grades should be given the one weekend.
That has proven to be extremely unattractive financially in the past. The potential audience for Offaly club matches is limited and neutrals attending games are basically the same people (some who attend both codes and some attending either hurling or football matches). They have tended to be more likely to attend both semi-finals if they are on consecutive weekends rather than consecutive days.

doobane man
County player

Post by doobane man »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:The extortion of the hard-pressed regular matchgoer if you ask me.
[/quote]

I didn't ask PotH - but I would have expected your input to be based on fact. Extortion to my knowledge is the practice of obtaining something, usually money, through force or threats and is -if I'm not mistaken- illegal.
In this instance the semi-finals, even if played the same weekend, would not be the same day and the Admission prices would be the same. Even GAA prices don't increase from one week's semi-final to the other. So your point is moot as well.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

doobane man wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:The extortion of the hard-pressed regular matchgoer if you ask me.
I didn't ask PotH - but I would have expected your input to be based on fact. Extortion to my knowledge is the practice of obtaining something, usually money, through force or threats and is -if I'm not mistaken- illegal.
In this instance the semi-finals, even if played the same weekend, would not be the same day and the Admission prices would be the same. Even GAA prices don't increase from one week's semi-final to the other. So your point is moot as well.[/quote]

In fairness, it probably is a bit cheeky to expect both semi finals to be played on the one day, since it could easily be argued that if for example I just wanted to see one of the two games, then I have to pay a higher price to see a second one that maybe I'm not as interested in. It cuts both ways.

I would presume that the senior semis in both codes will have an intermediate/junior/minor game preceding them, and will be priced at around €10-€12. If that's the case, it would be hard to argue that it's bad value.

Incidentally, if it has to be illegal for it to be extortion, what does that make NAMA? We have no choice but to pay for it despite the fact that nobody wants it but a few choice FF backers at the highest level, but yet it seems to somehow be legal.

Theoretical question for another board maybe.