The Leagues

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Re: The Leagues

Post by Archangel »

The more I look at this the more angry I get. Look at Div.3. !!! :evil:

They split the division in the middle so Tullamore & Rhode both make a semi-final, even though the were 7th + 8th place in the division before the split. Daingean & Ballycumber have to play-off first for a semi-final place even though they had DOUBLE the points of Tullamore!!! I'd hate to be a Kilclonfert player right now, 11pts from 7 games and......nothing!

It's fucking criminal what our county board are allowed to do.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

Hocker
All Star

Post by Hocker »

Archangel wrote:
It's fucking criminal what our county board are allowed to do.
Yup, stupid cunts alright!!!

Sniper
Junior B

Post by Sniper »

Whoa there archangel,
If you just take the time to look at the results from div 3 you'll find that the teams in 3A (mostly fairly strong Intermediate teams) played their games against the teams in Div 3B (mostly Junior with a couple of Senior clubs second teams). So therefore it would be far easier to gain points if you played in 3A. Even if you look at score averages, all 3A teams bar Birr have positive scores. While 3B none bar Rhode have positve scores.

I suppose the real question here is........ Why bother being in 3A when all you'l get is 7 games v substandard opposition.
This is a crazy situation. You'd be better off in 3B.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

One wonders how or who decided on the split of the divsions? Was it random or what?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

In fairness, the groups turned out not to be even but there was no way one could have told that at the start. 3A had three intermediate teams, while 3b had two, plus Kilcormac/Killoughey who I think we all agree could be intermediate standard if they were half interested, which they could be at any given time. 3A did have the stronger junior teams all right, but not so much stronger that it would have been obvious that it was going to work out like it did.

It still doesn't mitigate the general unfairness of the system. It makes no sense not to just play the leagues on over the summer, I don't know a single club in either of these divisions who wouldn't appreciate more games, in fact I would wager that around a dozen clubs out of the fourteen will have played challenge matches either last weekend or at some stage during the week.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.