offaly football draws

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
offalyman
Senior

offaly football draws

Post by offalyman »

well lads what are the draws for the senior,inter and junior champs?

Hocker
All Star

Re: offaly football draws

Post by Hocker »

Offaly GAA 2009 Offaly Football And Hurling Championships

Tullamore Court Hotel Senior Football Championship

Group 1: Rhode, Shamrocks, Shannonbridge, Ballycumber.

Group 2: Tullamore, Edenderry, Tubber, Ferbane

Group 3: Gracefield, Clara, St Brigid’s, Erin Rovers.

(Top team from two groups to qualify for semi-final. Top team from other group plus second team in each group to play quarter/finals. Draw for two team to qualify for semi-finals to take place when group games finished.)

Tullamore Court Hotel Intermediate Football Championship

Group 1: Rhode, Ballyfore, Bracknagh, Clara.

Group 2: Doon, Birr, Raheen, Clonbullogue.

Group 3: Walsh Island, Kilclonfert, Tullamore, St Rynagh’s.

(Top team from two groups to qualify for semi-final. Top team from other group plus second team in each group to play quarter/finals. Draw for two team to qualify for semi-finals to take place when group games finished.)

Tullamore Court Hotel Junior ‘A’ Football Championship

Group 1: Kilcormac/ Killoughey, Ballinagar, Daingean, Ballycumber.

Group 2: Edenderry, Ferbane, Gracefield, Clonmore Harps.

Group 3: Cappincur, Durrow, Killeigh, Shamrocks.

Tullamore Court Hotel Junior ‘B’ Football Championship

Group 1: Erin Rovers, Tullamore, Doon, St Rynagh’s, Shannonbridge.

Group 2: Durrow, Ballycommon, St Brigid’s, Kinnitty, Rhode.

Group 3: Raheen, Daingean, Shamrocks, Coolderry.

Tullamore Court Hotel Junior ‘C’ Football Championship

Group 1: Walsh Island, Tubber, Drumcullen, Kilclonfert, Ferbane.

Group 2: Clara, Cappincur, Clonbullogue, Bracknagh.

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

Group 1: Rhode, Shamrocks, Shannonbridge, Ballycumber.

A very competitive group here no doubt. On paper it looks like Shannonbridge are in trouble but they never fear Rhode for some strange reason. A lot depends on what Shamrocks team show up this year. A rejuvenation under Dessie Dolan is extremely likely. The rumour mill would lead you to question their credentials but the long break will have done them no harm. Are the personel still there?. Ballycumber probably won't be too happy but will still fancy themselves while for the more lighter Rhode panel it's not exactly the ideal draw at all in a real physical group.

Group 2: Tullamore, Edenderry, Tubber, Ferbane

To say that everyone in Group 2 will be salivating at the mouths is a prime example of stating the obvious. Tullamore will be delighted to avoid a big gun. It's my view though that their 2007 County title has stunted certain players development and satisfied certain others. It's also a great draw for Jack Sheedy and Company with two wins more than achievable. Tubber are always classed as relegation fodder but always end up surprising me and others. It's a three way battle to join Tullamore in the business end with Ferbane eager and able to right the wrongs of the last two years.

Group 3: Gracefield, Clara, St Brigid’s, Erin Rovers.

Three into two does not go evenly so for one of St. Brigid's, Clara and Gracefield disapointment will be the main emotion of the year. Disbelief will surface as well should they fail to take advantage of Erin Rovers. With Clara a genuine front runner for the title you would wonder who will join them. A dour encounter between St. Brigid's and Gracefield with the likelihood of less than 20 scores will decide a lot. Just like Group 1 a real competitiveness here will lead to some titanic struggles. St. Brigid's though on their return to Senior ranks will not be guaranteed anything.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

INtheNET
Junior B

Post by INtheNET »

tullamore 2b there r there abouts again...its only rhode stoping them really...shamrocks will get the shits again at de killbeggan bridge...clara always throw it away when de tough get goin...is there any1 else really good enough??no didnt think so....

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Silken Thomas wrote:Group 1: Rhode, Shamrocks, Shannonbridge, Ballycumber.

A very competitive group here no doubt. On paper it looks like Shannonbridge are in trouble but they never fear Rhode for some strange reason. A lot depends on what Shamrocks team show up this year. A rejuvenation under Dessie Dolan is extremely likely. The rumour mill would lead you to question their credentials but the long break will have done them no harm. Are the personel still there?. Ballycumber probably won't be too happy but will still fancy themselves while for the more lighter Rhode panel it's not exactly the ideal draw at all in a real physical group.
Couldn't disagree here - this will be very much down to what Dessie does with a seriously talented Shamrocks panel. I've great time for a lot of individuals in that club and they could thrive with the chance of dealing Rhode an early blow rather than meeting them with the spotlight glaring later in the year - they did win the last match up between the two clubs very comfortably after all. Shannonbridge, as you say, have a tendency to cause Rhode problems though a big part of that this year was John Ryan's performance at midfield - he's not getting any younger, while the plethora of group hurling games will keep him very busy too. Ballycumber on the other hand will quietly fancy their chances of turning over their neighbours and Shannonbridge as well, but I think they match up very badly with Rhode. They won't want to meet the Bridge first out the gate though. No big surprises in this group for me.
Silken Thomas wrote: Group 2: Tullamore, Edenderry, Tubber, Ferbane

To say that everyone in Group 2 will be salivating at the mouths is a prime example of stating the obvious. Tullamore will be delighted to avoid a big gun. It's my view though that their 2007 County title has stunted certain players development and satisfied certain others. It's also a great draw for Jack Sheedy and Company with two wins more than achievable. Tubber are always classed as relegation fodder but always end up surprising me and others. It's a three way battle to join Tullamore in the business end with Ferbane eager and able to right the wrongs of the last two years.
Tullamore have traditionally been very poor the year after they win a county title and you can't tell me that they were any great shakes this year, however they should put things to rights a little bit and if they play to form at all, theoretically they shouldn't be dropping any points. They'll need to do something about their midfield, but if they can manage that then you'd have to put them odds on to top this group. I see ST has carried on from last year talking up Ferbane and saying nothing about his own, but I can't imagine they'll be unhappy either. Last year's relegation match with Ferbane and narrow loss to Tubber will give them plenty of motivation in those games and they'll know that a sixty minute performance would go a long way towards putting that to rights. Tubber keep on keeping on and won't concede anything easy. As for Ferbane? I plead the fifth. Based on the Shannonbridge, Rynaghs or Edenderry (2nd half) last year, they won't keep it kicked out to any of these - but based on the Tullamore, Rhode and Edenderry (1st half) then you'd expect competitiveness at least. Time will tell.
Silken Thomas wrote: Group 3: Gracefield, Clara, St Brigid’s, Erin Rovers.

Three into two does not go evenly so for one of St. Brigid's, Clara and Gracefield disapointment will be the main emotion of the year. Disbelief will surface as well should they fail to take advantage of Erin Rovers. With Clara a genuine front runner for the title you would wonder who will join them. A dour encounter between St. Brigid's and Gracefield with the likelihood of less than 20 scores will decide a lot. Just like Group 1 a real competitiveness here will lead to some titanic struggles. St. Brigid's though on their return to Senior ranks will not be guaranteed anything.
I was very disappointed with the way Gracefield fell apart in the closing stages against Rhode, however I still believe that they were the second best team in the county in 2008. They have a plethora of hardy defenders, the county's star midfielder and a few very capable forwards - there is a lot to like about them. For the last few seasons I've tipped up Clara, but on this occasion, I'm actually leaning against them. A lot of their bigger name players have gone somewhat off the boil, though they do have a very good spread of talent. A lot will depend on their first group game - both Brigids and Rovers will be praying that they draw Clara in the first round of games - if they do, then an upset is really possible. One thing I disagree with here though - you appear to imply (possibly intentionally, possibly not - ST himself can clarify) that Rovers are a distant fourth in this group. Right now they'll be happy to play along with that, but for me Brigids vs Rovers is a 50/50 game if that. I'd give the Pullough lads a better chance of getting out of the group than Croghan.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

INtheNET wrote:...shamrocks will get the shits again at de killbeggan bridge...

Tullamore got a fair dose of the scutters themselves last year :D :D :D :D

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

Lone Shark wrote: Couldn't disagree here - this will be very much down to what Dessie does with a seriously talented Shamrocks panel. I've great time for a lot of individuals in that club and they could thrive with the chance of dealing Rhode an early blow rather than meeting them with the spotlight glaring later in the year - they did win the last match up between the two clubs very comfortably after all. Shannonbridge, as you say, have a tendency to cause Rhode problems though a big part of that this year was John Ryan's performance at midfield - he's not getting any younger, while the plethora of group hurling games will keep him very busy too. Ballycumber on the other hand will quietly fancy their chances of turning over their neighbours and Shannonbridge as well, but I think they match up very badly with Rhode. They won't want to meet the Bridge first out the gate though. No big surprises in this group for me.
That's the general concensus.
Lone Shark wrote: Tullamore have traditionally been very poor the year after they win a county title and you can't tell me that they were any great shakes this year, however they should put things to rights a little bit and if they play to form at all, theoretically they shouldn't be dropping any points. They'll need to do something about their midfield, but if they can manage that then you'd have to put them odds on to top this group. I see ST has carried on from last year talking up Ferbane and saying nothing about his own, but I can't imagine they'll be unhappy either. Last year's relegation match with Ferbane and narrow loss to Tubber will give them plenty of motivation in those games and they'll know that a sixty minute performance would go a long way towards putting that to rights. Tubber keep on keeping on and won't concede anything easy. As for Ferbane? I plead the fifth. Based on the Shannonbridge, Rynaghs or Edenderry (2nd half) last year, they won't keep it kicked out to any of these - but based on the Tullamore, Rhode and Edenderry (1st half) then you'd expect competitiveness at least. Time will tell.
Paranoid Andrew! Now now L.S. I did say everyone in this group would fancy their chances including Edenderry. Likewise you could argue Tubber, Ferbane and Edenderry are 3 of the 6 worst teams in the championship and that Tullamore could be only the 4th best team in the County. In short it's the 'weak group' and the Dowling Cup will unlikely to be visiting a group 2 team.

You're well versed in the art of gamesmanship yourself L.S. :) but I would argue that I and most of the County would say anyone of Edenderry, Tubber or Ferbane will join the Blues, with Ferbane the very marginal favourites.
Lone Shark wrote: I was very disappointed with the way Gracefield fell apart in the closing stages against Rhode, however I still believe that they were the second best team in the county in 2008. They have a plethora of hardy defenders, the county's star midfielder and a few very capable forwards - there is a lot to like about them. For the last few seasons I've tipped up Clara, but on this occasion, I'm actually leaning against them. A lot of their bigger name players have gone somewhat off the boil, though they do have a very good spread of talent. A lot will depend on their first group game - both Brigids and Rovers will be praying that they draw Clara in the first round of games - if they do, then an upset is really possible. One thing I disagree with here though - you appear to imply (possibly intentionally, possibly not - ST himself can clarify) that Rovers are a distant fourth in this group. Right now they'll be happy to play along with that, but for me Brigids vs Rovers is a 50/50 game if that. I'd give the Pullough lads a better chance of getting out of the group than Croghan.
To be honest I'm not too sure about Gracefield. I get the impression that when the chips are down the quality just isn't there. John O'Neill is still the main attraction whilst the supporting cast are just workmanlike. Rory Allen is not going to push them over any line either.
As for Erin Rovers I would be rating them 4th though not a distant one. Alan Lynam will be a marked man this year but I would definitly not be surprised at knockout football for the Westerners. The draw will dictate a lot.
On second thoughts St. Brigids could be in trouble. The fact was they put a huge amount into a long last year which was a success but at what cost? Appetite and effort may not be as pronounced. I hear they are set to lose two starters from last year which for a small club could be trouble.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.