Roscomon V Offaly

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Roscomon V Offaly

Post by Lone Shark »

I couldn't really disagree with any BnaM man said there. Mulhall did well in goals, Evans came into it after a slow enough start but he's clearly on the road back and looks nailed on to be a summer starter right now. McManus was utterly, utterly wasted at full back. He's not suited to it, he is very badly missed out the field and he played some of the best passes in the game - which is not something that you should be looking to your full back to provide. Slattery was another fish out of water and only came close to looking like himself when he moved up.

Half back line was a disaster from start to finish as far as I'm concerned. Joe Quinn was anonymous, never really imposed himself on the game, Matt Mitchell stood way too far off and his undoubted footballing ability is a bit lost out on the wing too, while Brian Darby never burst forward and just never got into the run of things at all. He's a corner back or nothing for me, and I'm leaning towards the latter after yesterday.

I though Niall Smith's grip wasn't the best (odd time of year not to be wearing gloves) but he did fight for ball and looked to turn things around. Much like the Down game last year, he was slightly outclassed but he never stopped trying and if he had got his goal chance in the second half it would have been just reward. Colin too did his best, but this is just way too much too soon for him. I think 19 in midfield years is the equivalent of barely 17 for a corner forward. You have to be a freak to be good enough to hold your own at that age, and I think under 21 is more than enough for him now.

Half forward line was another disaster area, though again not entirely through the fault of the players. I remain to be convinced that Niall Darby is able for this level yet either - he did take two fine scores, but he just doesn't attack the goals the same way he does for Rhode, and until he has the strength and confidence to do that, I don't see why you would pick him over guys that do. Ger Rafferty at centre forward was like the equivalent of using John Hayes as the captain of Ireland's dressage team. There is sporting talent there without question, but the role he was deployed in was comically inappropriate. A guy like Raff who has burst a gut for the county time and again deserves better - he is what he is, a bludgeoning defender who will make any corner forward's life very tough - and to use him any other way is nonsensical.

I'm not sure what I thought of Ruairi Allen's performance. He did throw himself about, particularly in the first half, and he appeared to want to show for the ball and to do something with it. He always appeared busy, yet his opposite number did play a big part. I couldn't quite decide in the second half if he was finding space out on the wing or hiding a little bit - either way, he showed more than enough to suggest that there was talent, but that he too needs more time. He also needs to stop reacting - he's developing a spiky side, and not in a good way.

I can't say anything good about PJ Ward so I'll leave it at that.

Brian Connor was the most harshly treated of the lot I felt. The first high ball that came in, he clearly had the full back worried - and he's intelligent enough to break the ball in Offaly's favour. But of course that first high ball in was also the last high ball in. I don't believe in the policy myself, but if you must pick that type of full forward, then change your game to suit. Don't pick him and then hit in low ball - barmy.

Ken Casey worries me. Towards the end of the first half, a high ball came in over the top and his man slipped - the kind of situation that corner forwards dream about. Still, he ambled towards the ball, gave his man time to recover and ended up passing the ball backwards into traffic - instead of putting on the gas and going for goal. Same in the second half - it was his shot to take, but he laid it off to PJ Ward. Bad call, and the sign of a young lad who doesn't have confidence in his own ability to score. I rate him and I have high hopes for him, but he's simply not in form right now.

James Coughlan has actually gone backwards from what I can tell. He's no stronger physically than he was four years ago, while he just doesn't have the pace to penetrate. Ken doesn't have the confidence to take his shot, Jimmy doesn't have the strength to get himself into that position. He did himself no favours. Rory Guinan was just a few minutes of junk time, so while he did okay, you couldn't judge him on it.

Overall, other than Mulhall and the continued improvement of Evans, you couldn't say that there was a lot of good news.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Early on, but from those watching, any chance Evans can take the fullback role w McManus moving out into more familiar territory?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Overview
Junior B

Post by Overview »

Great report by BnaM and Lone Shark honesty reflecting what went on before our eyes. I felt so sad leaving the ground i could hardly breathe. To see a proud county like Offaly with a huge well of talent that have competed so admirably in minor and U21 in recent years under Tom Coffey, Phil O'Reilly, Declan Mc Govern, ably assisted by Tony Mc Tague, Tom Spain, Joe Bracken, to name just a few of those involved, been represented by THAT team selection begs the question WHO was responsible for appointing this management. Somebody MUST be made accountable and they should offer their resignation because for too long now those in power have hid behind selection committees, who were appointed to act as a smoke screen to the public for PR purposes, to then deliver a pre determined name for rubber stamping at the next Co Board meeting.Enough is enough!!
How must Kevin Kilmurray feel today, a man with a superb selectorial, coaching and back up staff, who was in a second year of a most successful building programme, was told before a co board meeting to ratify his third year in charge, that it was likely that the vote would go against him and it might be better if he stood down!
We need to get real here-the Co Board has NO intrest in having a successful Football or Hurling team untill they have O'Connor Park paid for. Thats why the present 'politically correct' managerial appointments were made to ensure they towed the line in accordence to 'Board' policy and thats why the minor management is now under their charge. Brace yourselves for a year of poor results in minor and then be spun that old favorite of gutless bureaucrats "sure there is no talent in the county at the moment" what a laugh-the county has as much talent as anywhere in Ireland and all they want is a man at the top who has the VISION COURAGE PASSION and LEADERSHIP to BELIEVE in them. Why cant the matra of "YES WE CAN" apply to us- surly to God if a Black man can be president of the USA we can win a Leinster ???
Last Word

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Kevin wrote:Early on, but from those watching, any chance Evans can take the fullback role w McManus moving out into more familiar territory?
McManus has to be moved outfield, no question about that.
Evans should be able to slot in full back now. If not him, then Joe Quinn or Shane Sullivan when he comes back.
Full back isn't a problem for Offaly, but there are several key positions that are.

Lets hope Richie Connor doesn't wait until Offaly have lost 2 or 3 more games before making this call.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

Great report by BnaM and Lone Shark honesty reflecting what went on before our eyes. I felt so sad leaving the ground i could hardly breathe. To see a proud county like Offaly with a huge well of talent that have competed so admirably in minor and U21 in recent years under Tom Coffey, Phil O'Reilly, Declan Mc Govern, ably assisted by Tony Mc Tague, Tom Spain, Joe Bracken, to name just a few of those involved, been represented by THAT team selection begs the question WHO was responsible for appointing this management. Somebody MUST be made accountable and they should offer their resignation because for too long now those in power have hid behind selection committees, who were appointed to act as a smoke screen to the public for PR purposes, to then deliver a pre determined name for rubber stamping at the next Co Board meeting.Enough is enough!!
How must Kevin Kilmurray feel today, a man with a superb selectorial, coaching and back up staff, who was in a second year of a most successful building programme, was told before a co board meeting to ratify his third year in charge, that it was likely that the vote would go against him and it might be better if he stood down!
We need to get real here-the Co Board has NO intrest in having a successful Football or Hurling team untill they have O'Connor Park paid for. Thats why the present 'politically correct' managerial appointments were made to ensure they towed the line in accordence to 'Board' policy and thats why the minor management is now under their charge. Brace yourselves for a year of poor results in minor and then be spun that old favorite of gutless bureaucrats "sure there is no talent in the county at the moment" what a laugh-the county has as much talent as anywhere in Ireland and all they want is a man at the top who has the VISION COURAGE PASSION and LEADERSHIP to BELIEVE in them. Why cant the matra of "YES WE CAN" apply to us- surly to God if a Black man can be president of the USA we can win a Leinster ???
Wow, wow ,wow!! I challenge anyone to sum it up as well as that and so much to the point!
This should be printed in all national newspapers!!
"Sorry for being right so often"

Bord na Mona man
All Star

MF35 wrote:Heard last night that a good few lads left the panel after the game - only a rumour but any truth in it?
Sounds like it, expect chaos in the next couple of days!

D Corner Flag
Senior

Post by D Corner Flag »

I have heard it too, but I heard the whole panel stepped down today, seemingly a massive split between managment and players.

Theres alot that we dont know, not sure if its the right thing or not to do, but something has to happin.... Yesterday was awfull but whats worse everyone knew what was coming, I think the players saw it coming to..

Wild stories going round, better buy a paper in the morning!!! :twisted: :twisted:

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Any news on this lads? I'd be surprised if the whole panel stepped down, but not shocked. Where are my boots?
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

There appears to be movement going on in the background all right. In fairness, this should at least force a resolution one way or another. For example, one version of events I've heard is that several players were told that they were off the panel, but were asked to keep attending training and matches in order to keep numbers up, but of course they would get no mileage or anything for doing so. Now that could of course be rumours and I don't mean to give it oxygen if it is, but if that's been going on then the players are bang to rights. If there is a training panel of a certain size, then that panel should be adequately looked after for their efforts - no exceptions, or no two tier panel system.

The point I'm going for is that those in power know the truth of what's going on here. There are those in the corridors of power who know exactly what's been happening and whether or not players are being mistreated. They can either come out and back the management and say that Richie and his men are acting within their remit and to the board's satisfaction, or they can say that things aren't working and to cauterize the wound by putting in place a new regime with no such messing going on - thus putting the focus back on the players to prove that they are better than what we saw in the last three outings. Needless to say it probably won't work out as simply as that and I'd be worried that we're facing into a protracted conflict, drawn out because of a misguided need for diplomacy and consensus, when in actual fact somebody somewhere, needs to be told that they are out of line.

This needs to be handled immediately, one way or another. It's not November - we don't have time for another Cork hurlers situation here. The Birr vs Crinkle issue was one thing - this is very, very different and I'd be wary of people applying a softly softly approach simply because they don't know how to do anything else.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

There seems to be something definitely up.
Lots of rumours flying around about players leaving the panel and not going to play under Richie Connor any more.
I can't see it ending amicably, that's for sure!

Hocker
All Star

Post by Hocker »

I heard Richie Connor told Jason Kelly last Monday that he was starting centre forward for the Roscommon game, and then after training on Wednesday night he text him to say his head wasn't right for Senior Football and that he was being fucked off the panel.
What a joke... Another joke was the PJ Ward situation!!
On the whole, As a county of footballers we're an even bigger joke! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Will we need him as manager when he's in prison anyway????
Get Stephen Darby or someone else who commands respect in and get this year on the road...

MF35
Intermediate

Post by MF35 »

Regarding PJ Ward starting at the weekend - a player on the panel told me that he attended only one training session leading up to the game and was an automatic starter last weekend - the kind of going on yead see at Junior C level - no offence to anyone here intended!!