Player of the year awards

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bazza
All Star

Player of the year awards

Post by bazza »

qm

Square Cab
Intermediate

Re: Player of the year awards

Post by Square Cab »

Senior Football - Alan Macnamee
Inter Football - Ken Casey
Junior - Anton Sullivan
Minor - Anton Sullivan

Just out of interest who picks these? For me its a joke that Anton received two awards. Yes he had an excellent year but why give him two awards? There was at least two other players on the Rhode jnr team who could have been picked. Out of all the players at both grades, was he really number one and two?? And before anyone says Im begrudging him his achievement, I want to congratulate him on a wonderful year. He's a star in the making and we're going to see lots more of him!

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

I agree regarding young Sullivan. He played on a desparately poor Rhode Minor team that only garnered 1 point from the group stages of the Minor championship and didnt qualify for the knockout stages. Now i know he played well for the county team but then again he wasnt the only one?For the Junior player of the year he has a strong case as he played in the knockout stages and contributed handsomely to Rhode's victory in these games.Was he Minor Player of the Year as well?I dont think so.

For my money the Moloney lad from Tullamore deserved this shout.He played resolutely as Captain of Offaly Minors and he had a stormer of a game in the county final.

In my opinion this just reflects the paucity of knowledge that the journos who pick this award have.In most cases they will go for the well known name i.e county player rather than the player who will have played consistently well in the championship.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

swiftpost
County player

Post by swiftpost »

Gary Hanniffy got hurler of the year - deserved
Derek Middleton - Intermediate
Killurin's Duane won Junior I think
Joe Bergin U21

Not many other options for the senior hurling award apart from Gary's direct opponent in the county final James Rigney.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

IMHO James Rigney was more deserving of the award than Gary Hanniffy. Was exceptionally good in every championship game this year.

Aweflee
Senior

Post by Aweflee »

kinnittyman wrote:IMHO James Rigney was more deserving of the award than Gary Hanniffy. Was exceptionally good in every championship game this year.
Agreed. Can't believe he didn't get it.

redser
County player

Post by redser »

Rigney had a good year but Hanniffy was the correct choice. He excelled in all games picking off good scores. He caused Kinnitty huge headaches in the final.
Rigney also had a torrid time against Colin Kenny for Belmont in the championship. Id say thats why the choice was made.

On another note, Its an awful pity Hanniffy wasnt more aggressive and hard working when he played for Offaly. Hes has such size with high skill level that he couldnt be handled. Rigney i thought really struggled any game he played with county even against Laois i thought he was out of it. He is too short for county level but is a good skillful hurler. Is there any more big strong hurlers in the county that could be given a shot? Players similar to Kevin Martin, Hubie Rigney, Joe Dooley, Duignan. Thats whats needed at county level. Look at Kilkenny, Cork, Tipp, they have 90% of team 6 foot or more.

swiftpost
County player

Post by swiftpost »

While I agree Hanniffywas right winner, he got a bit of a lesson from Kevin Grogan v KK and also missed a bagful of scoreable chances. Rigney had trouble v Colin Egan, possibly becuse of Egan's awkwardness. I would say it was close call though.

I dont mean awkwardness an a bad way, just the way Egan catches the ball!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I have to say that there were very few of these awards made any sense to me. I wouldn't claim to have any real insight into grades like Junior and Intermediate hurling since I saw feck all of it this year, but as for the others....

Alan McNamee - Now I've been on this guy's back a lot in the past, but I can't let it go here - this was nothing short of ridiculous. He had a good twenty minutes in the final, he absolutely got eaten alive the few times he played any decent opponents (Smith, Grennan, Magee) and I can't remember him having a single game where he took more than three or four catches, which is pretty much his primary role for Rhode these days. (It's not like he chips in with a point or two per game any more the way that he used to). I can't understand the thinking behind this at all, there were at least twenty more deserving recipients, and at least ten in the Rhode team. Also, the hypocrisy is ridiculous - the minor footballer of the year wins his award based on displays for the county, the senior footballer of the year was absolutely appalling in the county shirt all year long, and still wins too. If you really wanted to go away from Niall McNamee (and I don't see why you would have - what more do people want in fairness!!) then Kilmurray was the next best. Rock solid all year long, looked after some good opponents and never had less than a 7/10 display.

Ken Casey - Enda Egan would have been my nod, but no real complaints.

Anton Sullivan - Junior - Now I would have seen a lot of junior football this year and a lot of Rhode players can feel hard done by that he won this I think. He was very good in the latter stages, but the likes of Ronan Heavey was very good all year long and also had a very good final and semi final. He'd have been my winner.

Anton Sullivan - Minor - This is a little bit trickier - the question really has to be how this is decided - is it on minor football only, or does it include all football? Because playing a big part in a Leinster club campaign says a lot about this guys talent. That said, Brian Connor and Johnny Moloney each played very well for their county and also played a lot of good adult club football as well. Brian Connor would have been my call, with Anton already long odds on to win it next year.

Catch Buckley - Ref - Couldn't agree more, but I will admit to being slightly amused that on a panel with only three football journos, one of which went off on a huge rant about Catch's supposedly dire display in the Ferbane vs Tullamore game, that he won this. The right call though.

Gary Hanniffy - Without trying to cause a stir, this was as much a result of the bald headed determination to give the nod to a Birr man than anything else. Rigney was the deserved winner of this by an absolute country mile - he was nothing short of outstanding in every game bar the Belmont one - and even then he was damn good, he just found himself up against another good hurler who was on form in Colin Egan. Hanniffy scored well throughout the year, but it was as much due to tallness as anything else. He was fairly anonymous against Ballyhale as well. If you had to give it to a Birr man, then Mick Verney or Dylan Hayden would have been more deserved, or even John Paul O'Meara. Still downright wrong though - Rigney was the best hurler this year by a distance.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Square Cab
Intermediate

Post by Square Cab »

Does anyone actually know who picks these awards? I was told three wise scribes picked them? And if its the three I believe it to be......then enough said!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Five person selection committee, comprised of all the local hacks. Yours truly was not allowed on - read into that what you will.

Alan Walsh, Damien Moran, John O'Callaghan, Mary Dunne and Kevin Corrigan are the five that made the choices.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

Agree with you 100% LS.. Are the awards based on club or county? Does anyone know? To be honest they've made a mockery of the awards now and i'd say young Sullivan will actually feel quite embarassed getting thme 2 awards.. Why didnt they wait and give him the minor award next year if he's good enough? Here are my football picks anyway since i think they got them nearly all wrong:

Senior: Niall McNamee... just no contest.
Intermediate: Sean Casey
Junior: Ronan Heavey or Brian Cassidy
U-21: Stephen Egan
Minor: Johnny Moloney