Anton Sullivan

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Silken Thomas
All Star

Anton Sullivan

Post by Silken Thomas »

I was just thinking that to the best of my knowledge Sénor Sullivan has played in the Junior B, Junior A and Senior championships in the one year! :?: No mean feat :)

In addition he has played minor and under 21 championship as well. That's 5 of the 7 major football championships.

Seen him myself a couple of times this year. Very stylish and confident player destined to play senior for Rhode for years.
He will fill out too i'm sure but from a county perspective; How tall is he?
To really make it as a good inter county standard player 5 foot 11 inch is necessary.
Obviously there are exceptions like Canavan, Sherlock, Mortimer :) but these are few and far between.
Last edited by Silken Thomas on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Coolestown1562
Senior

Re: Anton Sullivan

Post by Coolestown1562 »

[quote="Silken Thomas"]I was just thinking that to the best of my knowledge Sénor Sullivan has played in the Junior B, Junior A and Senior championships in the one year! :?: No mean feat :)

In addition he has played minor and under 21 championship as well. That's 5 of the 7 major football championships.

Add in two school teams at ST Mary's Edenderry and the Offaly Minors aswell, and he also plays quite alot of basketball. You begin to see why the GAA are adamant to protect young players.

He has it all however. He also has a wonderful ability (probably from his famous uncle Johnny) to gode an opponent and put him off his game. Won the All Ireland B final for Edenderry in 2007 when he was introduced at only 15 years of age.

Wouldnt worry about his size- sure he's as big as Tommo Deehan, Shaper Reynolds, Karl Slattery etc...

Two things might prevent him from making it however- the demon drink or being feted a hero in Rhode at too young an age...It has happened to often in Rhode in the past
Last edited by Coolestown1562 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contae an Riogh

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Wouldnt worry about his size- sure he's as big as Tommo Deehan, Shaper Reynolds, Karl Slattery etc...
True but neither Tommo or Shaper are any good!

RhodeRunner
Intermediate

Post by RhodeRunner »

Two things might prevent him from making it however- the demon drink or being feted a hero in Rhode at too young an age...It has happened to often in Rhode in the past
Please explain? kinda lost me on this one? Happened to who?

Anton was a hero in Rhode when he won his first all Ireland at the age of 9. He's as much determined now as he ever was.. Trust me i know the chap.. He doesn't give up.

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

RhodeRunner wrote:
Please explain? kinda lost me on this one? Happened to who?

Anton was a hero in Rhode when he won his first all Ireland at the age of 9. He's as much determined now as he ever was.. Trust me i know the chap.. He doesn't give up.

Two weeks ago Offaly GAA supporters celebrated the All Ireland u21 win of 1988 and the National league win of 1998 in the Bridge House Tullamore. Ken Kelleghen would be an excellent case in point to the above debate. in 1988 at 17 years of age he was by far the best footballer in the county and had many thought an outstanding career ahead of him. Midfield on the U21 team that beat Cavan, he never went anywhere near achieving his potential.
Contae an Riogh

RhodeRunner
Intermediate

Post by RhodeRunner »

Two weeks ago Offaly GAA supporters celebrated the All Ireland u21 win of 1988 and the National league win of 1998 in the Bridge House Tullamore. Ken Kelleghen would be an excellent case in point to the above debate. in 1988 at 17 years of age he was by far the best footballer in the county and had many thought an outstanding career ahead of him. Midfield on the U21 team that beat Cavan, he never went anywhere near achieving his potential.
I know exactly what your saying about Ken there, But This wasn't because his head was too big or because of the demon drink. Way off the mark there chief.. way off.
My memory of Ken in his playing days.. Trainer: lads do 5 laps of the field there .. ken would do 2.. should i even mention his back problem since he was about 16?

Ken was a senior footballer for Rhode for 17 years.. Thats a fair achievement in my books...

Can i have the next Rhode man there please that you reckon has been hit by the demon drink or being feted a hero in Rhode at too young an age.?

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

RhodeRunner wrote:[quote)
I know exactly what your saying about Ken there, But This wasn't because his head was too big or because of the demon drink. Way off the mark there chief.. way off.
My memory of Ken in his playing days.. Trainer: lads do 5 laps of the field there .. ken would do 2.. should i even mention his back problem since he was about 16?

Are You Not Contradicting Yourself There Chief?

Ken was a senior footballer for Rhode for 17 years.. Thats a fair achievement in my books...

Most of this was during the 27 year drought that Rhode went through when they failed to win a Dowling cup and in 1995 avoided relegation to Ballycumber (who subsequently got that quashed- but dont get me started on that one)

Can i have the next Rhode man there please that you reckon has been hit by the demon drink or being feted a hero in Rhode at too young an age.?
What about Shane Kelleghan.. 1989 Offaly minor superstar that got to the All Ireland where they were beaten by a Tohill inspired Derry 3-9 to 1-6
Contae an Riogh

RhodeRunner
Intermediate

Post by RhodeRunner »

Spoke to Shane about an hour after the game.. He moved to england in 91 or 92 . Played some football with Neasden Gaels in london - (who were intermediate at the time and went on to win the london senior championship a few years later) Shane has an All England Under21 medal for London. Moved to Bedford/Luton where he has/had family and signed up for a club there..Met the love of his life and now married with 2 kids. Only stopped playing a few years ago.

You wont find one Coolestown1562 - your statement was just way off the mark.. :-)

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

RhodeRunner wrote:Spoke to Shane about an hour after the game.. He moved to england in 91 or 92 . Played some football with Neasden Gaels in london - (who were intermediate at the time and went on to win the london senior championship a few years later) Shane has an All England Under21 medal for London. Moved to Bedford/Luton where he has/had family and signed up for a club there..Met the love of his life and now married with 2 kids. Only stopped playing a few years ago.

You wont find one Coolestown1562 - your statement was just way off the mark.. :-)

Rhode runner, at the risk of sounding petty and getting drawn into a debate that nobody wins....just ask yourself if you consider playing with Neasdan Gaels (Shane) and playing 17 years for rhode seniors (Ken) a success for two lads who undoubted class at the same age that young sullivan is now?? All im saying is that they fell by the wayside. Nice to hear what Shane actually did, as I never knew the chap personaly. In Ken's case (in my opinion) I would say that ego got the better of him.
Richie Hartnett and Declan Murphy were others, though probably not of the same ability (although it wasnt ego on either of there parts)
Contae an Riogh

RhodeRunner
Intermediate

Post by RhodeRunner »

Ken is far from egotistical.. you are so wrong! I know the man well as i'm sure a lot of people here reading this would also agree.. While i do agree that these 2 players should be somewhere in the Offaly greats but it wasnt down to "the demon drink or being feted a hero in Rhode at too young an age...It has happened to often in Rhode in the past" it was down to emigration - injury and just the way life pans out.

Delcan unfortunately broke his neck in 1990 (Not sure about the year) so that finished his career

As for Richie - Yeah he was good but not a county player.

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

I didint realise that regarding Declan. He was a great minor- on Rhode team that got to two minor finals in a row 87&88, beat kilcormac and were beaten controversialy by Clara the following year (if the memory is correct).

Fair enough so.

Best of luck Rhode Runner over the coming weeks :wink:
Contae an Riogh

birr are magic
Junior B

Post by birr are magic »

the only boys that could drink and win allirelands . are the birr boys . wont name names
anton sullivan is only a chap. leave him alone if its in him it will come out . i think his uncle is
offaly 82 star johnny mooney . if he is half as good . he be a good one .

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

birr are magic wrote:the only boys that could drink and win allirelands . are the birr boys . wont name names
anton sullivan is only a chap. leave him alone if its in him it will come out . i think his uncle is
offaly 82 star johnny mooney . if he is half as good . he be a good one .
well said lad . hes only 17 lets give him time to develope first . i reckon hes a star in the making but he shouldnt be rushed .
great history hoping for a better future

RhodeRunner
Intermediate

Post by RhodeRunner »

Cheers Coolestown1562.. yeah they were 2 good years.. remember them well.. remember 87 better than 88 of course.. I'm not sure if you seen this before but it might bring back some memories http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjyO-bnc-bg
delcan murphy is the one actually kissing the cup at the start of the interview . :) happy days..