First indication of football panel for 2009

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: First indication of football panel for 2009

Post by bracknaghboy »

I would also bring back Malone. Now theres a full forward line to get excited about.

13. Niall McNamee 14. Frank Weir 15. Roy Malone

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

bracknaghboy wrote:I would also bring back Malone. Now theres a full forward line to get excited about.

13. Niall McNamee 14. Frank Weir 15. Roy Malone

Sure bring back Shane Manley aswell while yer at it...he had a good league campaign once upon a time too
Contae an Riogh

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Seriously though, we have been beating ourselves up for years by trying to shoehorn in young lads just becauase they were out of under21. Look at the graceless disposal of James Grennan for another example. We have not had a lad since as good as he would be even now.

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

turk wrote:Seriously though, we have been beating ourselves up for years by trying to shoehorn in young lads just becauase they were out of under21. Look at the graceless disposal of James Grennan for another example. We have not had a lad since as good as he would be even now.

For arguements sake...anyone out there know how many championship games did James Grennan play in? Am i right in saying that he was catipulted in the panel for the all ireland semi in 1997 against Mayo? He had a serious shoulder injury which ruled him out for a season (around 2002)
Would he have played 12 championship matches?
Contae an Riogh

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Coolestown1562 wrote:
turk wrote:Seriously though, we have been beating ourselves up for years by trying to shoehorn in young lads just becauase they were out of under21. Look at the graceless disposal of James Grennan for another example. We have not had a lad since as good as he would be even now.

For arguements sake...anyone out there know how many championship games did James Grennan play in? Am i right in saying that he was catipulted in the panel for the all ireland semi in 1997 against Mayo? He had a serious shoulder injury which ruled him out for a season (around 2002)

according to the super searcher at http://www.uibhfhaili.com/offalygaa/res ... otball.php

it's 21!!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

turk wrote:
Coolestown1562 wrote:

according to the super searcher at http://www.uibhfhaili.com/offalygaa/res ... otball.php

it's 21!!
There are a few results missing from the early/mid 90s.
I think Grennan played a few games before 1997. He was in England for a while.
Tommy Lyons claims to have "discovered" him in 1997 though.

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

Great database... Wouldn't say its 100% however. Just looked at two players, D Farrell and Cillian Farrell and their stats aren't correct.
Contae an Riogh

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Yeah Cillian definitely played against Meath in 2000 when we beat the All Ireland Champs in Croker.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

turk wrote:
Coolestown1562 wrote:

it's 21!!
According to that thing Phil O'Reilly had some career spanning 1958 to 1999 :D

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Of the Rhode team playing in this years Leinster Club who would the posters have on the Offaly Panel?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

True Red wrote:Of the Rhode team playing in this years Leinster Club who would the posters have on the Offaly Panel?

Niall McNamee
Contae an Riogh

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Players worth their place at present - Naill, Alan, Shane , Paschal, Niall Darby.
Worth a look at in challenges/O'Byrne Cup - Brian Darby, Pauric Sullivan, Eoghan Byrne + Anton Sullivan (maybe too early yet, but will be some talent)
Be careful out their

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

naasmanxrhode wrote:Players worth their place at present - Naill, Alan, Shane , Paschal, Niall Darby.
Worth a look at in challenges/O'Byrne Cup - Brian Darby, Pauric Sullivan, Eoghan Byrne + Anton Sullivan (maybe too early yet, but will be some talent)
Niall McNamee- Starter
Alan McNamee- Starter/ Panellist
Shane Sullivan- Panellist
Paschal- Retired- Would start in my team. The last I heard he was training the Ballinibrakey Junior A team in Meath.
Niall Darby- Starter/ Panellist
Brian Darby- No.
Pauric Sullivan- No. Seriously where could he be played?
Eoghan Byrne- Worth a look.
Anton Sullivan- Jeysus are ya trying to get him killed :!: :) Too soon.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

naasmanxrhode wrote:Players worth their place at present - Naill, Alan, Shane , Paschal, Niall Darby.
Lets make one thing clear before the rest of this post. Rhode are an Irish country mile ahead of all other clubs in the county. Fact.
Reason: It's all down to team bond, leadership, committment, will to win.
Fact: it is not because they have seven or eight lads capable of palying INTER COUNTY football. They have one- and another two would make the bottom ten county teams in ireland i.e. tipperary, sligo, leitrim, waterford

Pascal is retired.
Alan and Shane are really not up to this level- they would make the bottom ten teams
Niall Darby- there is a whole thread on the Sean Ryan debate, size etc. Darby is even smaller than Ryan and T Phelan
Anton- will be worth a shot maybe in 2011- word is he was told he is starting sunday by the way
As for the others not near good enough
Contae an Riogh

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Coolestown1562 wrote:
Lets make one thing clear before the rest of this post. Rhode are an Irish country mile ahead of all other clubs in the county. Fact.
Reason: It's all down to team bond, leadership, committment, will to win.
Fact: it is not because they have seven or eight lads capable of palying INTER COUNTY football. They have one- and another two would make the bottom ten county teams in ireland i.e. tipperary, sligo, leitrim, waterford

Pascal is retired.
Alan and Shane are really not up to this level- they would make the bottom ten teams
Niall Darby- there is a whole thread on the Sean Ryan debate, size etc. Darby is even smaller than Ryan and T Phelan
Anton- will be worth a shot maybe in 2011- word is he was told he is starting sunday by the way
As for the others not near good enough
Largely speaking I'd echo this view. Paschal is extremely talented and but for the heartbreaking yellow and red cards would be an automatic starter, but he's chosen to retire so that ends that. Of the others, I'd say that Niall McNamee is obviously the first name on the teamsheet, but after that you'd be hard pressed.

In fairness to Shane Sullivan, he had an excellent game against Colm Parkinson last week, and Parkinson would be a genuine intercounty forward, while he was also very good against Westmeath before the red card. Bearing in mind that he's an option at 3,5,6 or 7, I'd have him in my panel at least and right now he could be as good a full back as there is in the county.

Niall Darby could be an option yet, but he's one of about ten lads that I'd be thinking of in terms of 2010 and beyond rather than next year. He needs a lot more strength and power before he's a realistic option I think.

Alan McNamee will have to play well for a full match before I'd consider him for county football again. He had twenty good minutes against Tullamore, and the same again against Portlaoise - two clubs who would each consider midfield to be their weakest section. Until I see him go toe to toe with a county standard midfielder and play well for sixty minutes at least once, then in my view he's not playing well enough to be considered.

Let's not forget here - I don't think anyone could argue that Rhode are six or seven points better than any other club in the county, but that's pretty much all Niall Mac. He had one off day this year - against Shannonbridge - and they nearly lost. They had big wins over Ferbane and Gracefield, both entirely down to Niall running the show. Take Niall out and Rhode were feck all better than either of those clubs, and neither of them are heavily represented on the county panel.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.