First indication of football panel for 2009

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: First indication of football panel for 2009

Post by Bord na Mona man »

bracknaghboy wrote:Rat you can add Connor Evans to the list of players I mentioned above who should stick with club........The bottom line is that I'd rather see us pick loads of new players and give them a chance. We are wasting our time picking the same old faces and waiting to see if they can show they are up to it. Connor was never able for senior county football and that was obvious for 5 years.
I'd disagree on Evans.
He has put in some powerful displays at full back in recent years.

Full back was a real problem position for nearly a decade. We've had Larry Carroll, John Ryan, Barry Malone, John Kenny, Cathal Daly, Ger Rafferty, Joe Quinn, Scott Brady all operating there and all being either out of position or very uncomfortable in the role.
Evans has been the best players of them.
He was man of the match even when Offaly lost to the Wasties in '04 and probably our best players in a couple of other games too.

Even last year, he rejoined the panel very late having being abroad. Against the Dubs when several of the half fit, half prepared Offaly team were getting pushed around like schoolboys, he was one of the few players prepared to get stuck into the Jackeens.
He was treated badly this year by Roe in my view when he wasn't given a run in any games.

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

Tar Man- Nigel Grennan is now living in the UK- so thats whyhe wasnt considered.

100%
Junior C

Post by 100% »

Offaly team 2009
1 Padraig Kelly- still the best keeper in offaly
2 Brian darby-probably the tightest marker in offaly has to be corner back.
3 sean casey- strong player and knows how to play here
4 ger rafferty-hav no one els for this position still the best corner back in offaly does the job.
5 Karol slattery-obvious first choice wing back still has lots to offer
6 Neville coughlan-seen him play there for shamrocks i think its worth a try
7 niglel grennan-needs to improve from last year i think he will
8 Scot brady-hes one of our fittest players and strongest i think he could work here
9 niall smith-best fielder in the county needs to work on other areas
10 sean ryan-good all round player hopefully he will concentrate on football
11 Jason Kelly-centre forward is his best position he cant play on the wing
12 ciaran macmanus- still has something to offer
13 Ken casey-needs to build up but obvious choice if he can
14 niall macnamee
15 james coughlan-skillfull player good point scorer but needs to get faster
Paul mcconway, james keane, john Reynolds, Thomas deehan, alan mcnamee, and shane Sullivan all regulars last year but they need to prove themselves this year they were just so poor last year.
Other panel players gary comerfort, alan mulhaul, willie mulhaul james raffery Thomas coughlan david egan, Kevin Meehan, and kieran flannery.
Thats me team and panal any comments??

redser
County player

Post by redser »

Edenderry Richie Dalton, Sean Pender, Robbie Glennon
Dalton yes, Pender got it very tough against Nigel Dunne this year who hasnt been called in.
Glennon always had potential. Not what he was 4 or 5 years ago.

Brigids Ken & Seán Casey, David Egan

All deserve a chance

Gracefield Slattery, Niall Smith

Yes possible most consistent performers

Walsh Island Rory Connor, Alan & Willie Mulhall, Gary Comerford

I dont know after watching the intermediate final. All were terrible even though Willie apparently had injury.

Raheen Conor Carroll

Dont know anything of this guy.

Shamrocks Neville & Thomas Coughlan, PJ Ward, Stephen Delaney, Padraic Kelly

Neville, PJ and Kelly i would agree.
Thomas Coughlan and Delaney have a didnt play in most of championship this year. Head problems there. No commitment in Shamrocks in general anyway

Tullamore James Keane, Paul McConway, Mark Conlon, Gearóid O'Grady, John O'Donoghue.

Interestingly i would say none of the above 5 are fit for county.
Conlon is a sticky decent club player but wouldnt say outstanding. He is my pick of the bunch tho.
O' Grady had 1 good day over a year ago. Not county standard simple as that.

Clara Matt Mitchell, Thomas Deehan, John Reynolds, Scott Brady, Joe Quinn, Kevin Meehan

Deehan, Scott Brady and O' Hara would be the only players in Clara meritting a place.

Tubber Joe Higgins, Ciarán McManus

Mac yes. Higgins no, he was dry roasted against Ballycumber

Ballycumber Rory Guinan

Deserves a chance

Rynaghs Ger & James Rafferty

Ger has his critics but can do a job. The brother is very limited.

Erin Rovers Declan Kelly, Dean Bracken, Kevin Lynam

Possibly just Kelly to have a look at.

Ferbane Colin Egan, Gerry Grehan

Wouldnt be the two from Ferbane i would have picked. Keenaghan and maybe Lowry but Keenaghan definately deserves a shot.

Doon James Coughlan

Plenty of skill

Shannonbridge Jason Kelly, Kieran Flannery

Kelly yes, Fllanery no.

Birr Seán Ryan, Stephen Lonergan

Maybe Ryan. Hes done ok from what ive seen.

K/K Conor Mahon, James Gorman.

Disasters, tall men but add little. Mahon if was to pick one or the other

Tar Man
Junior A

Post by Tar Man »

the rat wrote:Tar Man- Nigel Grennan is now living in the UK- so thats whyhe wasnt considered.
Thanks Rat - Hadn't realised he was no longer around. A big loss considering our small playing base.

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

Was at the Dublin County Final Replay last night and observed closely Conor Evans who was playing full back for Oliver Plunketts. They seemed to have the game in the bag when Bernard Brogan put them three points in the clear with ten minutes to go, but Crokes fought back and astute pre match switches won it from them. chief among these was placing Johnny McGee on the edge of the square where with his size '38 togs he troubled Evans all evening. Granted the second goal was controversial (it didnt cross the line from what I saw), Evans was at fault for all three crokes goals. I was hoping to see him win his second Dublin county medal but alas it wasnt to be. Some previous posts have alluded to him being recalled for the Faithful, not on last nights performance however.
An interested spectator last night in parnell park was Tom Coffey. Rhode perhaps with one eye on a Leinster Final.
Contae an Riogh

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

According to the Indo report Conor Evans found Magee to be a handful but apparently this was all the more crucial because he was so dominating last time out (in the replay).

I'd like to see him back in the squad. In 2005 and 2006 he was the lynch-pin for the defence. He always seemed to get better as the championship approached and in the big games he was always a rallying-point. Against Laois in Croke Park he gave a tour-de-force. Great character guy, very intelligent footballer, always giving 100% and scrapping for the ball even if he was 2nd favourite to get it.

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

[quote="Tar Man"]Have to agree with Lone Shark about Aidan Keenaghan. In my biased opinion he was one of the best footballers in the county championship. He proved it against both county finalists in Ferbane's games against them.

I would also like to add David Lowry of Ferbane to the mix. quote]

Stop the lights. David Lowry! Are you actual serious? Keenaghan clearly but Lowry? talk about living off a name. If your talking about the west why not Niall Price?:?:
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Tar Man
Junior A

Post by Tar Man »

David Lowry is as good as whats on the training panel at present. He also has the strength and physique, granted that he hasn't always used it, although he had a very good year with Ferbane. His Long range Free Taking is also very accurate.

I'm not saying that he is the messiah but he is as good if not better than what we already have and so should be given a chance on the training panel. The rest would be up to him after that.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

That Frank Weir could be considered the answer to our problems is just a little bit crazy. I watched him play Senior football in 1994. In the 15 Championship campaigns that have been played since, Frank may have been the answer at some stage, but he wasn't. He must be nearing 33/34 - he certainly isn't the answer now.

I'm not trying to be hard on Frank Weir. I saw him comprehensively out-play Jimmy Stewart, when Stewart was an Offaly regular and Weir was only a young-fella - nobody can argue that he's gifted. But the very fact that he cropped up several times on a recent 'underachiever/wasted talent' thread says it all.

I think the only real surprise for me is that Alan Lynam hasn't been called in. Perhaps he's considered a little light or small, but he's got pace to burn and is well able to take a score - he had a very good championship.

After that, I don't have a list of names of guys that could be considered hard-done-by not to be called in. A lot of the best club players in the County are already in that list.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I've seen Weir play more than anybody else on this site and he has been the best forward in Offaly from 1992 to 2006. Niall Mc has taken that role now and I've no doubt he'll have it for many years to come. Weir remains the 2nd best forward we have. There is currently no other player who can kick points with both feet from 50 yards out like Weir still can. Theres nobody stronger under a high ball at the moment. Ideally we need Weir in full forward and Niall Mc in the corner, what a combination that would be. True Weir tuned down Offaly before and he showed us his genius in the NFL in 1998 before pulling out. All I'm saying is he is one of the best in the county and Richie needs to have a chat with him. If Frank says no then thats fair enough but Connor simply has to ask the best players we have regardless of what has gone in the past. I dont care if he's 33 he'd be far better than the rubbish that have being trying to support McNamee for the last few years. Weir would not get pushed about. If a stranger walked in to watch the Bracknagh games this year against Croughan and Raheen the first thing they would have asked is "Who is this guy and why isn't he on the Offaly panel?"

OY13
Intermediate

Post by OY13 »

This is crazy, Frank Weir is not good enough for county football anymore, fair enough bracknaghboy you may have seen him play with bracknagh this year or last but he is only playing intermediate football and marking less capable players than himself. I totally agree however that weir has been one of the most talented forwards in the county over the last ten years but it is ridiculous to think that he should still be on the team. He is simply too old and hasnt had the experience of playing county football over the last few years to be up to the pace of it, it is a completley different game than it was when he last played for the county. If richie starts approaching players like weir offaly football is going backwards instead of forward.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

We can't say that Weir would not be good enough for county football in 2009!
A player of Weir's vision and intelligence would use his guile at this level. I support the calls for Weir's inclusion.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Weir is not good enough, bring back Roy MALONE
Be careful out their

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Weir was a good player in the late nineties who had great potential but he couldnt commit due to farming reasons if i remember correctly?

Malone has been playing well this year for Rhode but at county level he probably only has 15 mins impact in him off the bench.Doubt he would want to do all the hard slog for just 15 mins (maybe) in the big show.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything