Hatton for Croker !

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lea-Bally-man
Junior A

Hatton for Croker !

Post by Lea-Bally-man »

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Re: Hatton for Croker !

Post by Archangel »

He can feck right orf, if he thinks we are going to let thousands of Brit boxing lager louts into Croker to piss all over the place.
Not on my watch anyway! :evil:
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Is it pissing anyone else off the amount of friendly games Ireland are playing in Croke Park in the soccer especially???

I thought this arangement was for competitive games that it would be wrong to lose the home advantage and make an Irish team play away.

To be honest I'm pretty fucking pissed off about this. This wasn't what we were sold when we agreed to it.
The night is darkest before the dawn

royalblue
County player

Post by royalblue »

Ricky is a legend at has the height of praise for Irish boxers and is always encouraging them. He said he would love to fight in Croke Park for his Irish fans and he has thousands of followers here if croke park is opened to other sports why not boxing, County Player are you afraid Hatton might box their before you play their

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

If it was to be fixed for the off season then that'd fine... few more bob for the coffers... but if they start messing around in the height of summer like they're doing this year with concerts then they can go feck off!!

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

royalblue wrote:County Player are you afraid Hatton might box their before you play their

????

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

I can't see why people have a problem with this. As long as it doesn't mean moving GAA matches to more unsuitable venues, I think it is good to see a largely unutilised stadium being used to generate revenue. Apart from when the Dubs play, it's only full 3 or 4 times a year at best..
If and when Landsdowne Rd is built the GAA will badly miss the money they raking from the IRFU/FAI so they are right to look at other options. I'm sure they are looking at the possibilities for the likes of Heineken Cup and Champions League finals down the road too.

royalblue
County player

Post by royalblue »

DD wrote:I can't see why people have a problem with this. As long as it doesn't mean moving GAA matches to more unsuitable venues, I think it is good to see a largely unutilised stadium being used to generate revenue. Apart from when the Dubs play, it's only full 3 or 4 times a year at best..
If and when Landsdowne Rd is built the GAA will badly miss the money they raking from the IRFU/FAI so they are right to look at other options. I'm sure they are looking at the possibilities for the likes of Heineken Cup and Champions League finals down the road too.
DD you are right Peter Mckenna in croke park has to bring in other events to ensure Croke Park is run at a profit this will only benefit the development of the game also The GAA would never let other events effect the running of its own games for example Ireland have to play a friendly in Fulham as this is the same time as the Dubs play Louth

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

royalblue wrote: He said he would love to fight in Croke Park for his Irish fans and he has thousands of followers here
Of course he'd love to fight in front of 150,000 people, think of the pay check. Christ, I fight in the queens back yard if a pay check like that was coming down the line and I'd tell all how great a woman she is!

I agree with TMFF, too many of these soccer games going on. Take the Wicklow footballers, if Kildare had won last week do you think a Kildare/Laois game would be outside Croke park? I like many similar people in Wicklow put many years into playing, raising money, building, promoting our national game for nothing - free labor. The only thing people like that want to see is their county get to play in the stadium that was built by grass roots people down through the years. I've no problem with soccer or rubgy being played there but not at the expense of our own players not getting a shot to play there. Let them play in the off season, but March to Septemer is GAA season. If someone like Hatton wants to fight there, let it be in the off season. I'd say the same about all the concerts cause that will damage the pitch.

DD
All Star

Post by DD »

Muck Savage wrote:

if Kildare had won last week do you think a Kildare/Laois game would be outside Croke park?
It was pencilled in for O'Connor Park... and rightly so too, grounds like Tullamore & Portlaoise should be used for these types of fixture.

royalblue
County player

Post by royalblue »

From attending Leinster Council meetings at Croke Park for Offaly Croke Park needs a crowd of 35000 to breakeven Wicklow v Laois and Meath v Wexford would only bring in a crowd of about 20000

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

DD wrote: It was pencilled in for O'Connor Park... and rightly so too, grounds like Tullamore & Portlaoise should be used for these types of fixture.
Agreed. I think these type of games are better off being played in the likes of Tullamore.

However, one of the things that keeps all GAA players going is the chance to play in Croke Park. If you're saying they can't play there because of Celine Dion but the soccer lads can well then that's just wrong.

If they make a profit on the soccer being played there well then why can't they make a loss to let some GAA players who wouldn't normally get a shot to play there.

DD
All Star

Post by DD »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:

However, one of the things that keeps all GAA players going is the chance to play in Croke Park. If you're saying they can't play there because of Celine Dion but the soccer lads can well then that's just wrong.
Where/when did I say this?

In truth, this weeks soccer fixture or a Summer concert will only effect a small number of Leinster counties, the same ones that get to play there nearly every year in any case, it's a tad dramatic to play it up anymore than that..
You arguement about making a loss just to let lads play there is a joke, sure where would that stop if you started it?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I think there is too much focus on making profits and increasing turnover in the GAA at the moment.
In the long run I think it will damage the association. There is too much money sloshing about and we are being careless in talking too much about cash sums raised instead of funds used.
DD wrote: You arguement about making a loss just to let lads play there is a joke, sure where would that stop if you started it?
If you believe the criteria to playing in Croke Park is the gate receipts your team will bring, then I think it is dangerous too.
Croke Park was originally built to host GAA matches and not just to make a profit.

Personally I'd rather Mr Hatton boxed elsewhere. Just like at this stage I'd be looking forward to the soccer and rugby team making their new home in Lansdowne Road. Croke Park is turning into a circus arena. I'd rather it was cathedral for one of the last remaining pillars of native Irish culture and not just an arena of 70,000 seats to be auctioned to the highest bidder.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

royalblue wrote:Ricky is a legend at has the height of praise for Irish boxers and is always encouraging them. He said he would love to fight in Croke Park for his Irish fans and he has thousands of followers here if croke park is opened to other sports why not boxing, County Player are you afraid Hatton might box their before you play their
That's hardly compelling reason to let some English chav box in Croke Park?
Praising Irish boxers and having Irish fans.

He'll box there if the price is right and the Croke Park stadium company will let him in for the right price also.