Offaly Minor Management A Complete Joke

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Minor Management A Complete Joke

Post by Lone Shark »

Dingle wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:Dingle, I agree completely that dropping to Christy Ring level in the coming years is plausible. However to look at it another way, what right have we to expect to be top flight? You say it like our current set up is a joke, but right now the only counties that are better than us in hurling have bigger populations and are hurling counties first - we are where we should be, more or less. (Not including Galway or Cork who are big enough to sustain two high level sports) I'm not saying we should concede on these grounds or anything, but let's have realistic expectations here. Secondly, Wexford are no better than us at minor level. They beat us this year after a replay, but the record of both counties in recent years is abysmal. KK and the Dubs are way ahead, granted, but after that we're as good as anyone else.

Since you agree with OF's views, how about you take the extra step he never does - what would you do? OF tends to use grandiose statements about how everything is rotten to the core, and that we should spend fortunes we don't have on big name managers and several full time coaches, while also denigrating the existing coaches we have. With the personnel and budget that currently exists, what would you do? (This is not meant to be facetious, but endless complaints about the status quo without a plausible altenative are nothing but wind in my view)
I dont have much time to reply in detail but I say the following.
Frankly, your attitude stinks of a loser mentality. You make every excuse under the sun for Offaly's hurling woes. Offaly were possibly the most consistent senior intercounty for 2 decades and two generation of players. Thats were the bar was set and thats where we should aspire to. We should demand high standards not excuses. Having a small population base has distinct advantages when Offaly are organised and well run. Having a small population base and being a disorganised shambles is a recipe for disaster and we are now seeing. We should have a top class coaching/developmental structures in place to produce competitve underage sides and potential senior players consistently. We dont.
This all comes to the a culture difference. In Kilkenny/Cork sucess is demanded/craved. In Offaly we simply dont deserve success because we dont want bad enough.

wtr to Wexford. WEXFORD have George O Connor employed fulltime to the promotion of hurling. He has overseen a complete over haul of underage hurling structures. If their supporters website is accurate Wexford underage sides are training 50 odd times a season. Their underage performances have skyrocketed and have won AllIre U16/14 in the past two seasons. Expect, from the coming season on, the minor sides to improve dramatically.

i have repeatedly asked for someone to outline exactly what is being done wrt underage hurling in the county. No answers so far, which leads me to beleieve that its not pretty. Maybe some would outline just what is being done.

You're right - we were competitive for two decades, with two distinct teams. The first was when we had a good bunch of players who got a progressive coach, all at a time when a good level of general fitness from hard outdoor work would have had you 70% ready for intercounty hurling. It was also at an era where Munster hurling was very poor.

The second era was when we had a freak vintage in that Birr CS leaving Cert class of 1999. Obviously training was some aspect of it, but with the best will in the world, no amount of training can create one bunch of about 40 lads that included Johnny Dooley, Johnny Pilkington, Adrian Cahill and of course Sid - with John Troy over in Lusmagh of the same age. Dooley, Sid and Troy are probably the three best hurlers ever to play for Offaly in terms of pure natural talent, and all three would be contenders for being on the best team of the TV era. I'm not saying it was dumb luck, but being realistic, that was why we won All Irelands. Rynagh's chipped in with a few lads to strengthen the team, but those three gave us something special. This is not meant to be an argument against an academy or anything - merely that you could sink tens of thousands into such a plan and still never see the likes of those three again for 100 years - that's just the way it goes.

It's all very well to talk about raising the bar, but you seem to think that not aiming for the stars implies that if we did improve by 50%, I'd be happy with accepting that and not trying to improve things further - of course not. However you do have to run before you can walk. Peter Ridsdale's time at Leeds should be a reasonable warning about what can happy when you try to go too far too fast.

Saying that population is as much an advantage as a disadvantage is nonsense. Of course your pick size is hugely relevant. Wexford is roughly the same population as Laois and Offaly put together. Are you honestly trying to tell me that if Offaly could also have picked Zane Keenan and three or four other Laois lads that we wouldn't have won down in Wexford Park in the drawn game this year? Of course we would. I'm not amalgamating a merger here, but these bigger counties have more players and at a time in Offaly when Rynaghs and Drumcullen are at a very low ebb (the clubs who tended to supply the hardier hurlers down the years) we don't have other clubs to step up and replace them. Put it another way - St. Martin's this year reached a KK county final, having been intermediate a few years ago. They'll no doubt have two or three lads on Brian Cody's panel next year. In Offaly there's no chance of a club coming up from intermediate to do that, because there just isn't enough depth.

This whole thing reminds me of a debate I've had with Ireland soccer supporters over the past few months on a couple of occasions. People give out about Staunton, talk about how bad things are, and how we should be doing better. pointing out how we are a small island and one of the lowest populations in the UEFA federation tends to meet with the same answer - "But look at Scotland and what they've achieved" - i.e. comparing ourselves to the biggest overachiever in the game at the moment. It's the same when you compare us to Kilkenny - when saying things aren't good enough, you compare us to a much bigger population, and a county which all but bans Gaelic Football in an effort to maximise their hurling. I come from a statistical background, so I can't help but look at the maths of it. Taking the counties with the sixteen lowest populations in Ireland - Leitrim, Sligo, Roscommon, Clare, Kilkenny, Waterford, Fermanagh, Derry, Westmeath, Longford, Carlow, Laois, Offaly, Louth, Cavan and Monaghan.

We are fourth, and a lot closer to third than fifth. All the counties above us are hurling first counties with at least 20,000 more people. There is a difference between a "loser mentality" and being realistic, and aiming to secure our Liam McCarthy status and build from there is the latter, not the former.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

With regard to the academy idea, I'd have small suggestions on how things could be done differently:

(1) Possibly have it in a three or four different venues across the county, with the coaches moving around and different stuff being focussed on each week. It doesn't make sense for kids fom Ballyskenach or Edenderry to be trekking across to Tullamore every week. Also would there really be changing facilities for 200 anywhere in Offaly?

(2) Small concern though it is, I'd like to see educational tutors on site as well, so players can take a one hour break during the session, and maybe have an hour after while they're eating and get some catch up work on their schoolwork as well. Parents are already very concerned about lads of this age missing loads of school time as it is, this would be a good way to help them get behind it.

(3) I do think the funding required would be extensive. I'm not saying for a minute that it couldn't be done, however it would take a lot of planning and administration.

(4) Clubs would probably get behind it as long as all players could attend. Here the grading thing could be useful - though possibly it might be no harm to allow kids to assess themselves, so nobody feels like their hero is telling them that they're useless.

Overall though, it does seem like an excellent idea. Kudos.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

ggggggggggggggggg
Last edited by Offalys Future on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

OF,

I'm glad to see you've moved this thread away from your original issues & some of your stuff is very constructive. How feasible it would to actually work it on the ground is another thing but credit where it's due, the challenge was put to you to back up your comments & you did.

I would ask though that you retract your original comments re Johnny Pilkington, they were definitely ott to say the least.

On the academy idea, here's my own ideas on it. The idea would be to cater for 13 & 14 year olds with the U-14 selection team overseeing the whole thing with a view to picking a team for the Tony Forristal tournament. It would probably only be possible to have 4 venues max catering for 30 youngsters for each code.

Taking hurling for example, 30 hurlers in each venue for 10 weeks previous to the TF tournament...venues only picked due to facilities..k/k picked as they have use of 2 grounds so club affairs shouldn't be affected anywhere.
** Banagher (catering for Rynaghs, Lusmagh, Belmont, Drumcullen, Kinnitty & Brosna Gaels - coached by Martin Hanamy, John Troy, Ger Coughlan)
** Coolderry (catering for Birr, Coolderry, Shinrone, Ballyskenagh, Clareen, CRC Gaels, Killavilla - coached by Brian Whelahan, Billy Dooley, Pat O'Connor)
** Kilcormac (catering for K/K, Shamrocks, Ballinamere/Durrow, Na Fianna - coached by John Leahy, ???)
** Tullamore (catering for Tuallamore, Clara & all other clubs North of this - coached by Kevin Martin, ???).
After a few weeks, the teams could play each other in challenge games followed by games against other counties involved in similar coaching programmes. For example, the Banagher & Coolderry teams could go to Laois on a Wednesday evening & the Kilcormac & Tullamore teams to Westmeath and visa versa the following week. This would give 120 hurlers the chance to show what they are made of over a 10 week/5 game period & any potential for improvement will be comfortably spotted & monitored & nurtured by the keener eyed of coaches in this time.

In my opinion, it’s not possible to stay pumping money into teams indefinitely but the hope would be that after possibly 2 years of this coaching for each player, the cream will have risen to the top & that their development will be monitored with particular interest with regard to forming county panels up through the grades, as I'll outline below.

In terms of the coaches, I would offer them 2 free entries to all club & inter county games at all grades for the year & also ensure them that they would be looked at first when time comes to appoint coaches to our inter-county teams at minor or U-21 level. I'm not saying the names I have given are the man for the jobs but the are an example of the kind of guy we should look at to get involved.

In terms of cost of these academies, I would imagine the balance sheet to read something like this:
Meals – 15 seesions x 4 teams x 35 x €10 = €21,000
Travel – 2 away games x 4 teams x €500 = €4,000
Gear – 140 (incl. players & coaches) sets of togs, socks, polo shirts, tracksuits x €80 = €11,200
Jerseys – 4 sets x 30 x €40 = €4,800 (I would have a squad number assigned to each player based on an alphabetical order & their name on the jersey which they would keep at the end of the year)
There’s a total cost in the region of €40,000 which I’m sure the likes Banagher Concrete, Cavanaghs Foundry, Molloy Precast & Carroll Cuisine would be happy to divide up between them to see 30 youngsters going around the towns & villages of their region with their company names on jerseys & tops.

We could then possibly have 2 U-16 teams with 2 of the teams (maybe Banagher/Coolderry & Kilcormac/Tullamore but not a straight North/South divide with Tullamore as the cut off point) joining up to form 2 panels of 25 to compete in the Leinster League & Nenagh Co-op tournaments or whatever other tournaments are available aswell as a number of challenge games throughout the year. Preferably, the two teams would compete separately in the lead up to the Nenagh tournament & would then combine the best of the two to pit themselves in Division 1 of that tournament against the Corks & Kilkennys & see where they’re at. There would also be an U-15 team competing in a Leinster league which would accommodate 25 players outside of these 2 panels.

The whole lot would be aimed at getting the 120 U-14s down to 75 U-15&16s down to 30 Minors, who would have spent 5 to 6 years in the coaching system. At least then, you can step back & say yes, we have done our best to put this minor in with as good a chance as possible of winning a title. The process would be continuous with a new batch coming behind each year to slot onto panels.

It would also pay to have 1 man whose brief was to watch for players outside of these squads who were making progress & who deserved a chance to be looked at. I’m not sure who that man would be but it definitely merits consideration.

Anyway, that’s my take on the whole thing. Feel free to punch holes in it.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

ggggggggggggggg
Last edited by Offalys Future on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I don't mean to take this discussion off on another tangent, but the link-ups with hotels etc. is something that I'm amazed hasn't happened yet. In O'Connor Park, (and Birr for that matter) most games are videod for future opposition etc anyway. I was wondering why not buy a couple of second hand cameras from RTE or wherever and then install two in each ground permanently. Every game is taped, and it is announced at half time that there will be a repeat showing in the "Insert Hotel name here" in two hours time. All the after match people go back that way to discuss everything that went on before, and the Hotel gets savage business.

But anyway, I digress.

OF, your whole plan does seem to revolve around a solid corps of well trained fully qualified coaching staff - and I'm just wary in terms of short of saying pretty please, how do we get these people to choose to give of their own time voluntarily. Several of them will do anyway because they're just of that nature, but you are asking a lot of people, and it's where I could see it falling down. John Leahy is a driven man who has worked tirelessly for Offaly underage, but it's probably unrealistic to expect many others to match that drive.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

gggggggggggggggg
Last edited by Offalys Future on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

you need to expose the better club players to higher standards of coaching and opponents from Under 13 up to minor

Start off with very large U13 (end of year), U14 and U15 squads (end of year). The odd numbered squads bring players through for following year

narrow down the U16s squad but don't disregard all players. still run trials or blitzes with all players from previous year

U17 development squad at end of year to bring through minors. give them proper programs to follow over the winter months re: skills and strength

all the above with good coaching, a few targetted challenge games and blitzes per year against good opposition to keep players interested and improving

Add in an improvement in School Hurling to give them even more games and some coaching.

Always start off with simple ideas, then expand them out
only the best...

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

manfromdelmonte wrote: Always start off with simple ideas, then expand them out
Should always start with the best plan and people in operation and then expand them out!

manfromdelmonte
All Star

agree fully

but always put simple and achievable plans in place to start off - to ensure the people involved are able to carry them out!

each year then add in something extra to improve the plan!

Plan, evaluate, modify
only the best...

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

manfromdelmonte wrote:agree fully

but always put simple and achievable plans in place to start off - to ensure the people involved are able to carry them out!

each year then add in something extra to improve the plan!

Plan, evaluate, modify
You make sure at the start the right people are already in place and they are well capable of the task at hand.
i.e. fully qualified professionals with the help of fully qualified and experienced GAA coaches

manfromdelmonte
All Star

sometimes its better to have a part time person brought in to run a particular part of an elite set up, or put the plans in place. or even volunteers

the person who is full time is often not eager to take on extra work.
only the best...

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

ggggggggggggg

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Offalys Future wrote:You will be all glad to know that Johnny Pilkington has taken over as manager of Castletown Seniors.
Yes that's Johnny Pilkington the trainer of the Offaly Minors and the person that is in charge of developing the best young hurlers in the county.
He must have it all sorted that he feels he be able to commit to Castletown also. Fair play to him.

Also he told Castletown that he is selector with the Offaly minors and not trainer to get the job.
Good man Johnny.

Heres to a very un-successful 2008.
A complete Joke.
AF,

Are you saying that Johnny represented himself as (just a) selector rather than the manager of the Offaly Minors so as to assure Castletown that he would have ample time for them?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

ggggggggggggggg
Last edited by Offalys Future on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.