109 players called up for fooballers 2007/08 season

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
The Magpie
All Star

Re: 109 players called up for fooballers 2007/08 season

Post by The Magpie »

From a quick pass through the list above, I couldn't pick any more than 26 players that are anywhere approaching county standard - and that's by the poor standard that we've been setting.

Some of the names here are astonishing - they'd do well to make a good club team.

The logic (if there is any) is puzzling. Is it a statement to the guys that have grown too comfortable around the panel? If it is, give it some weight by actually picking (and only picking) the real contenders.

Also, I don't want to appear to be picking on Ferbane either, but the strength of their representation above only serves to thinken the plot here.

Ask yourselves this question: How many of the players listed above would be fit to mark Jayo, or either of the Brogans...Which of the forwards might actually trouble David Henry? Don't try telling me that I'm setting the bar too high here - these are the guys that we have to face up to.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

To be fair 3 of those Ferbane lads (Gerry Grehan, David Kenny and Alan Egan) were on that Weery team that should have beaten Rhode. Considering that Egan and Kenny didn't play senior football this year suggests they were picked on the strenth of that.
The night is darkest before the dawn

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

LS- It's a fair point that Keenaghan wasn't there but let's be honest if they can't put in a performance without him then they're in trouble, I'd still be incline to blame Clarke.
On the 6 Doon inclusions, what was your second thought? Sounded like you were going to follow on with a knock back that Rigney wasn't trying to get lads from his own club in. I agree 100% on Kelly, as far as I know he was away from April so didn't kick a ball in the c'ship. Is he U21? Another strange one is Gary Comerford, right the lad was a good footballer but tell me how after spending 5-6 years away, come back, get suspended (wrongly) for 12 months, miss all the C'ship games and majority league games as far as I know, have the suspension lifted about a month ago, get called in? When did any of them see him play? fair enough he may be good enough

Now here's a thought on some of the inclusions, I'l defend the management. The Selectors for sure were not picked 'till at least the Semi-final stage in the Championship So maybe they have really only gotten to see those games and the U21 Championship. I would say that is why there are so many of the Birr/Ferbane lads on here, you'd expect Tullamore/Rhode/Clara/Shamrocks with a large number but again maybe not the ones on here. My guess is they got to see most of these lads only once or twice so with such a big net they decided to get all in and have a gander at them all.

How they are going to figure out who can make it and who can't that, I have no idea but I'd guess that 30 of them at least won't go in. The likes of Jimmy Grennan, Cathal Daly etc. who have said that their finished don't need to be going in for a trial. I went down the list and between retired footballers and hurlers that list will get small very quick.

My guess is the lads we mentioned already and think should be brought in but not on the list will get the call once lads start dropping off because of other committments or not interested.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I'd expect about 30-35 of those named to decline the invitation. 2 or 3 weeks or hard winter training will see another 15-20 leave.

Most managers when they start with a clean slate start with 45 or 50 players and quickly weed them out. The same as Tommy Lyons did 11 years ago.

On paper it will look like everyone was given a chance. Contrast this to last year, where Roe was barely in the door when Colm Quinn was off the panel.

My guess is that Roe definitely wants to send out a message to panelists last year who he thinks are operating in a comfort zone. It was either do this or do a John McIntyre cull. At least this way, it gives any laggards a chance to buck up their act.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

I think Roe and his new selectors are in the position of damned if they do or damned if they dont. Ok they have named 109 lads that they want in for trials. Realistically how many of that number will show up for these trials? 60 maybe?

After last years debacle of a season they have to be seen to shake it up a bit and granted there are a few anomylies in the list but sure what harm? Maybe these unknown quantities could shine in the current climate and even if Offaly gets one "unknown" player to burst his way onto the starting 15 well then it will be deemed a success.

Dont be surprised however to see a few high profile casulties from last year's panel making an exit stage left.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Maybe they're all hoping for a slice of Dessie Farrell's new Player Grants :mrgreen:
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

The Biff wrote:Maybe they're all hoping for a slice of Dessie Farrell's new Player Grants :mrgreen:
If the players strike goes ahead, Offaly should have no bother fielding a team with a panel that size!

Oskar
Intermediate

Post by Oskar »

If all counties had a panel of that size, there wouldn't be any point in the players going on strike because all they'd get from Dessie & Co would be €2 and a packet of Taytos :twisted:

Sydthebeat
All Star

Post by Sydthebeat »

from gracefield point of view...

its unlikely the two fitzs will be available, ones in college in edinburgh.
....Ciaran Kiely is travelling the world....

rocket57
County player

Post by rocket57 »

ye but only haf turned up is this the attitude if so where are we going not looking good for the comming season heard the training is savage maybe they are training for the marathon next year

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

To be honest, I don't really see a problem with casting a large net. My main issue would be if these lads, or the percentage that turn up, are all thrown into a few trial games or something and expected to shine. That's not fair.

With such a large number, the best thing to do would be to have 2 or 3 games, over the course of a month in a few different areas of the county. Send 30 or 40 lads to Ferbane, Tullamore and Edenderry, and have 2 or 3 games at each venue. Send a couple of selectors to each game, and come up with a list of fellas from each venue that look the most promising. Then that list of 30-40 is invited to Gracefield or Tullamore or wherever as the initial panel for the upcoming season.

Then, all lads that narrowly fail to make the grade initially would be monitored during the leagues etc.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

According to the local papers about half of those called up showed.
Panelists from this year who opted out for next year were Kevin Meehan, Joe Quinn and James Coughlan.
A pity about Meehan as I would have thought he was about to inherit the goalkeeping position.
Joe Quinn could have been useful in a couple of central positions and I suspect James Coughlan might be back, as he has left the panel a couple of times before and come back.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

This really is just all rotten from start to finish. Leaving out the hurlers/older lads etc., that still means that at least one in four of those called up turned down the invite. That's hardly the enthusiasm that we want for our county footballers.

I can't blame Meehan for dropping out in that he has never got a fair go from what I could tell, while Coughlan probably realises that he's a long way down the pecking order in terms of corner forwards now. Joe Quinn is a loss though - I'm not saying I'd definitely pick him, but he's a bit fit lad with a lot going for him, and it's worrying that he wants out.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.