super super blues

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
del
County player

super super blues

Post by del »

jaysus lads huge win for the town as soon as tullamore put it up to shamrocks they bottled yes lads they bottled again as for allye lads including you lone shark that predicted a shanrocks win ha ha ha tullamorre have it and shamrocks dont they fell to bits after the goal. anyway come on the super blues lets hear ya argarg and as such ger and no no no no no i do not feal sorry for shamrocks every tullamore man knows why

Shin-Shin
Junior A

Post by Shin-Shin »

:D :D :D WELL DONE TULLAMORE! :D :D :D

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

Congrats to the Town,... but....

.... jaysus ... there's going to be an awful lot of cunts who will be hard to listen to...... :(

You've heard of bad losers, well I know some very bad winners. :roll:

Shin-Shin
Junior A

Post by Shin-Shin »

archangel...language language....there not only lads on this you know!!! :lol:

I'm from Tullamore and i wouldn't be a bad winner, fair enough the town won.....but it was one of the cleanest matches i've seen in a bit! and a very nerve wracking one!! if that goall never came for tullamore it would have been shamrocks game! fair play to them they played out of their skins!

arbarg
County player

Post by arbarg »

What a win, jeez we blew them away in the second half!!
To be honest it was looking grim a couple of mins into the second half, I thought we were gonna be bet out the gate and shamrocks were cruisin.
Then we got a dodgy goal and they just imploded like the last time.
I always felt Tullamore could do it but even I wasnt convinced that shamrocks would let one slip again. ( thank god they did)
moving john kenny down the field was a master stroke as we were completely over run around the mid section all day despite the best efforts of O' Donoghue and Hogan, kenny seemed to steady the ship when it was about to go under.
Jaysus, I think im still locked, some flow of liquor in Digans last nite,
cant wait for this evening!!

Allez Les Bleus

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

Shin-Shin wrote:archangel...language language....there not only lads on this you know!!! :lol:

I'm from Tullamore and i wouldn't be a bad winner, fair enough the town won.....but it was one of the cleanest matches i've seen in a bit! and a very nerve wracking one!! if that goall never came for tullamore it would have been shamrocks game! fair play to them they played out of their skins!
:D Sorry bout the language... :oops: and it wasnt anything to do with players on either team, it's just I know a few lads from town who will sicken yer head now that 'The Town' or 'The Capital' won. And I'm not from Shamrocks either.

Good game from a neutral point of view BTW.

Shin-Shin
Junior A

Post by Shin-Shin »

ah yea....but if the shoe was on the other foot, im sure there would be some shamrock supporters that would wreck your head too if they won!!!!!

ya have that sort in all team...love wrecking the head of the loosing team.....

Square Cab
Intermediate

Post by Square Cab »

Its not too often I get to say this so...........I WAS RIGHT!! It was tight at the end and Tullamores experience and tradition pushed them over the finishing line!! For the neutral it was a very good game. Shamrocks will be kicking themselves again (ala p keelaghan). They totally dominated midfield and looked dangerous going forward......until 'that' goal. Poor Pauric Kelly just cant get a lucky break with those high balls. As for John Kenny, the man should have been taken off because up to the last ten minutes he had a absolute stinker. But then his class and experience really shone through when it was needed most. Phil Reilly, you genius for not taking him off!! Why Shamrocks were such strong favourites ill never know. When you look at the evidence, they always faced an up-hill struggle. Firstly much of this optimism was based on their wonderful semi-final performance. The fact is they beat a Rhode team which has been struggling all year. Take Niall Mac out of the equation and they are very average. Secondly they needed to beat a team with a strong tradition of winning senior titles. Now people can laugh this one off and say it has nothing to do with it but prove it to me. Winning that first one is so difficult.
Anyways fair play to both teams for serving up an entertaining game, well done Tullamore, heads up Shamrocks....

Square Cab
Intermediate

Post by Square Cab »

Its not too often I get to say this so...........I WAS RIGHT!! It was tight at the end and Tullamores experience and tradition pushed them over the finishing line!! For the neutral it was a very good game. Shamrocks will be kicking themselves again (ala p keelaghan). They totally dominated midfield and looked dangerous going forward......until 'that' goal. Poor Pauric Kelly just cant get a lucky break with those high balls. As for John Kenny, the man should have been taken off because up to the last ten minutes he had a absolute stinker. But then his class and experience really shone through when it was needed most. Phil Reilly, you genius for not taking him off!! Why Shamrocks were such strong favourites ill never know. When you look at the evidence, they always faced an up-hill struggle. Firstly much of this optimism was based on their wonderful semi-final performance. The fact is they beat a Rhode team which has been struggling all year. Take Niall Mac out of the equation and they are very average. Secondly they needed to beat a team with a strong tradition of winning senior titles. Now people can laugh this one off and say it has nothing to do with it but prove it to me. Winning that first one is so difficult.
Anyways fair play to both teams for serving up an entertaining game, well done Tullamore, heads up Shamrocks....

Biffo Army
Intermediate

Post by Biffo Army »

Fair play to Tullamore, a deserved victory for them! Criticised in the build up for over reliance on O'Grady and Dooley.............what a response to the critics! Cant help but feel pity for the Shamrocks lads, after dethroning Rhode, they really were confident of winning their first Dowling Cup!! Anyway congrats to "The Blues" and lets hope we see O'grady in Offaly jersey this season.
The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

Well done Tullamore. I feel more than a little sorry for Shamrocks all the same. We saw a master class from Daly at centre back and McConway played well. The wing forward (12) tackled like his life depended on it. Neville played well for Shamrocks. Barry came into it when he was needed. Lenny was all over the field.

Highlights - Cunningham's point off the outside of his left foot in the first half. Daly's play - everthing he did should be copied by us all.

Lowlights - Unnecessary late fouling. Inconsistent refereeing especially for tackling from behind. Padraig going for another high ball.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

rocket57
County player

Post by rocket57 »

Well done to the blues it was an overall team performance that got them trough.
I was right the backs were the spring board for win as they were under a lot of preasure in the first half but came out in the second half and moped up everything cut out the supply to PJ and Nigel with all the ball that Nigel got he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights twisting and turning but going nowhere but he is young and inexperienced.
Hard luck to Shamrocks and hope to see them back next year?.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

What an occasion in O’Connor Park yesterday. A crowd of up to nine thousand- the stand full. A real family day out with people of all ages present from babies to grannies what with the Indian Summer’s day, a local derby and the prospect of a new name on the Dowling cup. While the success of the development will be determined by the effect of the financial burden it will place, the new stand and terrace added to the spectacle yesterday.

A superb county final was served up. One of the best in recent times for the quality of the play, the long range scoretaking and the constant buzz of excitement. Tullamore were deserving winners because they played with the greater method throughout the field. Their support of the ball-carrier was in sharp contrast to that of Shamrocks who often left their men isolated and they got caught in possession.

I don’t get to many club football matches and I don’t know Shamrocks’ form. While it would have been great to see them capture the title for the first time, in truth they weren’t good enough. While we all love to see long kicking, Shamrocks probable overdid the kicking with some poor service to their forwards.

Shamrocks had a poor start to the game and went behind at 3 points to 1. Then they came storming into the game where Cunningham was dominant in the second quarter. They kicked some superb long range points to lead 8 – 3.

Tullamore settled after the break and got their big break with thegoal. This seemed to knock Shamrocks and while they had a decent share of possession they were unable to create clearcut scoring chances. They really wanted support to come up in support through the middle but it never came. Even while the match was level Tullamore looked to me to be the team most likely to put a scoring run together. Shamrocks lost their composure in those last ten minutes as Tullamore, largely through O’Grady, hammered home their advantage with good scores.

It was remarkable what a young team Tullamore had and it will be interesting to see if they can build on yesterday’s win and challenge Rhode over the next few years.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Well done to Tullamore.
3 county titles in the 00s is great going for a team that wouldn't get the sort of accolades that Rhode would.

Also it has been remarked by a few people after yesterday that the upgraded O'Connor Park is much more appealing for families and makes the match day experience more enjoyable.
Impossible to measure, but I think there will be some benefit from this in future years.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Congrads to the Blues and well deserved in a terrific final. Cathal Daly gave a exibition at centre back and his reading of the game was a joy to behold,Gearoid o'Grady's 1.6 from play was the highlight but a few Blues supporters were telling me in Spollens pub afterwards that he will be playing for Buccaneers for the winter and won't be available for County selection for the league at least[ maybe some of the townies on this site might confirm this if its true.]
I'm looking forward to seeing how our new champions get on in the Leinster championship with a sticky first round opener in Dr Cullen Park. Finally I have a feeling Shane Cunningham could possibly be an answer to our Offaly midfield problem, he's big and strong and his fielding especially in the first half yesterday was superb, definitely worth a try in the O'Byrne cup to see how he would get on.