Hurling Computer Game On The Way!!!

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Irish Guardian
Junior C

Hurling Computer Game On The Way!!!

Post by Irish Guardian »

Hello everybody, a long-time reader, first time poster here. Before pursuing a postgrad in journalism, I studied marketing in college and noticed that one of this site’s surfers added threads that were not just very sensational but that adhered to the principles of retro marketing, a school of thought devised by an eccentric professor by the name of Stephen Browne. So I investigated my hunch and was pretty astounded with the examination’s results.
To get to the point, some of you may have noticed that a username of “Tailteann Games” was posting threads on not only this forum saying that Cork hurlers got food-poisoned and that Eoin Quigley was been linked with Celtic. Within these threads, the line “Bainisteoir – Hurling…Coming Soon” was evident at the very end. So what is Bainsteoir Hurling only a soon-to-be launched Hurling computer game where you take on the role of a county team manager!!! And who are “Tailteann Games” but its designers!! From what I have gathered, each of these posts is in fact a plotline from the computer game, which in true retro marketing style has been “drip-fed” to us, the unsuspecting public in “teaser” fashion!! The magazines/newspapers and journalists that “wrote” the “articles” within the posts are also publications and reporters whom the game-player interacts with in the game!!! The game apparently has the backing of the players, which means that all of the country’s top hurlers are included! I’m over the moon to hear about this as I loved Championship Manager and often wondered would a hurling equivalent ever be created. Exciting times for GAA fans indeed!!

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Heres two articles from the Hoganstand, see what you make of it.

Hurling computer game on the way
The new Bainisteoir-Hurling PC game, set to the big seller this Christmas, is currently available to pre-order on http://www.gaastore.com.

The new game developed in conjunction with the GPA includes all the top hurling players and is set to take the PC market by storm.

It is now currently available to pre-order on http://www.gaastore.com and is the first championship manager style GAA game available.

Players won’t benefit from computer game
The GPA has revealed that players won’t receive any money from the new hurling computer game which the players’ body is endorsing.

Hurling Bainisteoir, which is manufactured by Nenagh-based company Tailteann Games, is to be launched in time for the Christmas market. The GPA are currently in talks with the manufacturers and it now seems certain that they will allow them to use the names of top hurling stars.

But because players sign a collective image rights agreement when they join the GPA, they will not receive any direct payments for the use of their names.

“Nothing is finalised yet, we are talking with them (Tailteann Games) at the moment and we hope to have something shortly,” explained GPA Commercial Director Donal O’Neill.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I wonder in this new game if you'll be able to devise your own training sessions & watch them training!!! What about been able to talk a lad out of retirement? This game has endless possibilities, I only hope to god that they made a better fist of it than the Gaelic football 1 which was dirt!!!

I also hope they have a realistic gap in class between teams, like where Kilkenny would hammer Antrim or Laois, not like in the football game where London would beat kerry & every team was as good as the next!!!

Fingers crossed its class, but I've a feeling it'll be a major disappointment!!
The Untouchable

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Re: Hurling Computer Game On The Way!!!

Post by Archangel »

Irish Guardian wrote:Hello everybody, a long-time reader, first time poster here.
Bollox! :evil:

The same post appears on another forum, verbatim. If I was arsed to check other popular GAA forums, I'd say the same post was there too.

:roll:

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Its hard to know how this game will take off. They have their own website and they have a few screenshots on it. To me it looks a bit dated, as if its a game from several years ago from some championship manager.

Also, you can spend weeks going thru a whole season on on championship manager, how long would the GAA manager season last?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

The annoying thing about these "long time readers" is that if they actually stayed around the site a bit and answered a few questions aboutthe game, they might actually generate some interest. Of course that's too much like work, so into the night with them, smugly laughing to themselves abotu the subtle "marketing" job they're doing, and how the poor bog schmucks will never cotton on that Irish Guardian and Tailteann Games are all one and the same.

If you want to sell the game, tell people a bit about it - otherwise cut out the hit and run tactics. :evil:

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I hope they have a way of you giving the players a team talk both before the match & at half time!! What about the possiblity of dropping a player or drafting in a young player?

Like if they base it purely on the Championship manager style then it'll be hard to see it been much good because the reality is that the GAA hurling season might only be 3 or 4 games....where as the soccer championship is 38 games!!

Lets hope too the commentary & the sound effects is alot better than the Gaelic football 1 was!!!
The Untouchable

Tom
County player

Post by Tom »

Rynaghs Biffo wrote:Its hard to know how this game will take off. They have their own website and they have a few screenshots on it. To me it looks a bit dated, as if its a game from several years ago from some championship manager.
In fairness, the championship manager series is brilliant. Now called football manager by the way. The game now called championship manager, is actually by a different company who owned the rights to the name...

Anyway, thats besides the point, the Championship/football manager series is so good because it's so in depth. this is a tried and tested formula and each new game out sells the last. First of all, this a first attempt so to try and compare it to the championship manager series is ridiculous. Secondly, it will have to be a vastly different type of game, as there just isn't the depth in GAA as there is in proffesional soccer. There are no transfers, contract negotiations, scouting players from other clubs... there is so much in the champ man series that couldn't possibly translate to a hurling manager game.

This isn't saying that it won't be a success. if they go about it in the right way, and don't try t imitate the championship manager games, then it has the possibility to be a success.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I think making up silly non-stories to generate interest is a bit of a gimmick and doesn't give the impression of a credible company.
Stephen Browne should stick to hurling and forget about the retro marketing.

Doon Massive
All Star

Post by Doon Massive »

You know whats going to happen now..........
These Tailteann Games lads will print off this thread and stick it up on the wall of the office.

"Lads, have ye seen what they're saying about us? Now go out there and design the best game of ye're f**kin lives!"

arbarg
County player

Post by arbarg »

I hope its better than the football game. that was as much fun as a bag of chips outta supermacs in Tullamore. Dirt.

del
County player

Post by del »

jaysus the chips outta supermacs taste fine to me at half two on a saturday night

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

I'm more of a Roma Grill man myself!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

What was the chipper down by the cop shop, where the Ferbane bound Harriers bus used to pick people up? Obviously if you were "otherwise occupied" you didn't get time to go in ......

..... I ate way too many chips as a teenager. :(

del
County player

Post by del »

chipland was the chipper down by the cop shop its called something else now