Mattie Forde

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Mattie Forde

Post by Bord na Mona man »

If Wexford had managed to steal a win yesterday, with Forde having supplied the scores, I would have been absolutely livid. Hopefully he'll get a lengthy ban for his cowardly act. I am surprised that the incident wasn't censored from the big screen. The ref couldn't look at the screen and then make a decison.

Despite what some people will suggest, this wasn't out of character for Forde. I've watched him closely the last few years and he does like to leave in something late if he gets a chance.

Tom
County player

Post by Tom »

he's lost the respect of every sportsman in the country. Wexford people were embarrassed after it. i had several wexford people apologise to me after the match. thats how bad they felt. i hope he gets at least six months. just shows that when you mark even the top players well, they can get frustrated. it was one of the worst things i've seen in inter county football.

The Biff
All Star

Forde

Post by The Biff »

It would not surprise me if he got away without any sanction for this. The precedent for the GAA to use Video Evidence to suspend a player is as likely to be used to vindicate him, because it has not been used in all possible cases.

Of course there is the possibility of the "perfect" GAA sanction where first he gets a big suspension (to make it look like the GAA is getting tough on all evil-doers) but then he gets it quashed on Appeal on some flimsy technicality.

Terrible assault though. His "star" has now been dulled for some time to come, regardless of any suspension.

Why was this one of the few or only bad "foul" to be replayed on the stadium's big screens during the game? Who decides what to show thus? Maybe it was the missing Stadium Announcer who is no longer let count the blood-subs and now has a new job in the TV Control room.

oscar
Junior B

Post by oscar »

Sadly, I think you're right. What Forde did was disgraceful - Shane Sullivan's lucky he didn't have his neck broken or worse.

The GAA's record when it comes to dealing with matters like this is deplorable. There are way too many nasty assaults like this taking place and the perpetrators going unpunished because of the association's antiquated disciplinary procedures.

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

I have absolutely no respect for that man! ive often seen him play in wexford for club and county and he is more than likely the best corner forward in the country. But when he goes and does something like forcing your studded football boot on someones neck/head and possible breaking their neck and potentially paralysing someone, he changes his tag from star to coward!!

Even talking to my wexford friends, they're astonished and dont know what to say!