Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by G91 »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:56 am Avoided commenting in the immediate aftermath of Sunday's crushing defeat.
Having got a chance to rewatch the game on Clubber last night (brilliant service), I said I'd comment.

Ultimately, Offaly's inaccuracy combined with Laois' subs and their running from deep won them the game.

Mark Troy did well in the goals. Offaly worked a few great puckouts, with Eimhin Kelly or Brian Duignan creating space for the rapid Dan Bourke to latch on to bouncing ball. Although a couple of puckouts did go astray and there was little option at times in the first half when Offaly retreated our half forward line into midfield for puckouts, looking to play it short before giving in long ball to the inside line. This worked at times, but more often than not, the balls in weren't good enough. Cillian Kiely pucked away far too much ball (high balls to Screeney) and had a mountain of wides.
Adam Screeney was unmarkable, scoring 4 from play in 50 minutes and winning a couple of frees. Left one free short from all of 30 yards, before nailing one from 90.

Cathal King had an excellent game at corner back in my opinion and popped up with a point.
Conneely, Burke, the 2 Sampsons and Kiely were often caught out waiting for a short pass to bounce up into their hand or onto the hurl. The pitch was very sandy and played havoc. Although the ball wasn't lost every time, it created rucks and stopped us from letting in quick, accurate ball.
Killian Sampson scored 2 excellent points from long range.
Jason Sampson had his worst game in a good while.

Unfortunate to see Ravenhill and Cahill depart. David King brought much needed physicality and composure at a time when Offaly needed it in a first-half rut.
I was surprised Offaly waited until the 66th minute to introduce Jack Clancy. We very rarely ran at Laois and when we did Eimhin Kelly created 2 goal chances which should have been taken. I was also surprised to see him give way for Fox after 55 minutes. He had just won a scorable free and his running was causing havoc. Offaly scored 3 points from this point to the end of the game.
Leon Fox took a great score on the sideline, but squandered 2 massive opportunities near the end.

Nally was doing well in the halfback line but went out of the game completely when pushed up to the half forward line.
Dan Bourke had a fantastic game.
Charlie Mitchell was non-existent for a long time and I don't know how he lasted 70 minutes.
Oisin Kelly brought a focal point for the final couple of minutes and it was clear Laois were wary of him. With time almost up he was fed in a perfect ball which was fumbled and lost before Laois scored their goal at the other end.

The Laois crowd were very quiet until the first goal went in.
This brought it back to 3 but you could feel the change in momentum throughout the ground.
With goalies no longer able to slow down the ensuing puckout by faking an injury/removing the helmet as they will have to go off for 30 seconds, there needs to be another plan in place.
Whether this is making a sub and drawing time out doing so, or a corner forward taking the helmet off and spending 30 seconds on the sideline or even just someone starting a bit of pushing and shoving to delay the game. A contingency must be in place to halt a decisive change in momentum, as it was.

We must pick ourselves off and go again.
Massive game against Westmeath next Saturday.
I think their u20s face Dublin Sunday, so it will be interesting to see how much they play. A few of their key players are u20, no more than ourselves.
If Cahill and Ravenhill are ruled out, I'd expect Screeney and King to come in.
But all these contingency plans should have been in place at this stage, duigan was out on his feet with 10mins or so left left it far too late to make changes

The winning goal was soft beaten too easy in the back line there was enough players too deal with it and there was few times that happened

Was no instructions given to players when we isolated screeny by hitting high balls

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Agree completely G91

G91
County player

Post by G91 »

Starting with the team that finished against loais to play westmeath with the exception of fox and kelly ?

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Wasn't at the game, but listening to it that swing where we should have goaled and they came straight down to score and leave 3 in it was killer.
Kiely hitting wides was crazy and hitting high balls in on Screeney can't have been part of the message from Johnny Kelly or any modern manager. there comes a time when players have to take responsibility.
Tricky path after Sat if we get a win. Huge pressure but the best of luck to the team and management.

As for ye jokers coming on here to slag off a man here for predicting an Offaly win, ye are no supporters. Sickening defeat and ye head straight to the keyboard!! Gobshites.
Best ignored.

G91
County player

Post by G91 »

Simple as this if your target is Liam McCarthy then to get there you should prove it

I know sometimes you need a bit of luck but overall to be hurling a top level you show your better than those who are a level below, and for offaly that's to he better than loais westmeath down kerry meath

Lost against loais shouldn't have and offaly were a better team but if you dont put games to bed you always risk losing

4 teams left time to show your good enough

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:05 pm Wasn't at the game, but listening to it that swing where we should have goaled and they came straight down to score and leave 3 in it was killer.
Kiely hitting wides was crazy and hitting high balls in on Screeney can't have been part of the message from Johnny Kelly or any modern manager. there comes a time when players have to take responsibility.
Tricky path after Sat if we get a win. Huge pressure but the best of luck to the team and management.

As for ye jokers coming on here to slag off a man here for predicting an Offaly win, ye are no supporters. Sickening defeat and ye head straight to the keyboard!! Gobshites.
Best ignored.
Thanks for having my back 👍. That 6 point swing was huge and we could have won the game comfortably otherwise.. I'm predicting a comfortable win tomorrow again and we'll account for Laois in the final when the time comes. Bring young lads through and we'll cement our place in Leinster again where we belong. Hon offaly !!

JohnnyBoy24
Junior C

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

We are the better hurlers but that sending off is a massive blow

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Well joey

JohnnyBoy24
Junior C

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

Great win - definitely made things a little difficult at times but always had that bit extra to pull us away a bit further

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:43 pm Well joey
Well??? What's with this well joey im gettin?
A 6 point win precisely as predicted, that should keep me top of the predictions table even though i know nothin apparently.. We were a good 10 points the better team aside from some silly decision making, early sending off of important player and no screeney either. We were comfortably better than laois the last day aswell that 6 point turnaround with us missing the goal and they get one from it. Back to firm favourites now to win it after today and great position to be in.

G91
County player

Post by G91 »

Offaly were the better ream today and last week

Last week conceded 2 soft goals and were shooting wherever the ball landed

Today still looked a bit vulnerable when westmeath went on a run from about 21 yards managed to disposes and counter very well and got ourselves into a good position for a score plenty of options of the ball and got some very good scores from distance

A good win should carry that momentum

Need to make sure when we have a free to go 2 scores up its put between the posts ,

Oisin Kelly was a big presence in that foward line could have got a goal ,

Charlie Mitchell did all you could ask of him.

Any word on David nally or Jack screeny on the severity of injury

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:15 pm
A 6 point win precisely as predicted, that should keep me top of the predictions table even though i know nothin apparently.. We were a good 10 points the better team aside from some silly decision making, early sending off of important player and no screeney either. We were comfortably better than laois the last day aswell that 6 point turnaround with us missing the goal and they get one from it. Back to firm favourites now to win it after today and great position to be in.
Laois remain the bookies favourites.

Offaly need to account for Kerry first.

joey1001
County player

Post by joey1001 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:15 pm
joey1001 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:15 pm
Laois remain the bookies favourites.

Offaly need to account for Kerry first.
Take a look at how many games the "almighty " bookies have got wrong this year.. anyone with a brain that has watched the mcdonagh matches so far has offaly as favourites

JohnnyBoy24
Junior C

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

Laois put up a cricket score on meath today , expect us to do the same with little fuss. Would be a good chance to get hurling into likes of Oisin Kelly etc

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

JohnnyBoy24 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:26 pm Laois put up a cricket score on meath today , expect us to do the same with little fuss. Would be a good chance to get hurling into likes of Oisin Kelly etc
Meath's poor showing is a good omen for Offaly. The Kerry game is 3 weeks away and Offaly need that time to allow injured players recover.