Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joey1001
County player

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by joey1001 »

Anonymous1 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:27 pm
joey1001 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:18 pm
Anonymous1 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:09 pm

“It’s hard to see anything only an Offaly win”

Good one Joey, the voice of reason strikes again.

Add that one to the list.

You've done nothing only been negative since the draw was made in the football and you've slated and criticised all teams and predicted their down fall.. when the footballers proved you wrong last week, no sign of you but 5 minutes after the hurlers lose here you are.. it's pathetic and it shows you for what you are and all other posters can now see that 👍
I’m not sure if you’ve noticed but you’re on the Senior Hurling thread and we’re discussing your laughable prediction. Anything to say?

Coming on here to say I told you so after you team lost like that, you've really shown your truly colours.

Faithfully
Junior A

Post by Faithfully »

SearingDrive wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:05 pm
Faithfully wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:49 pm Thought we lost our composure big time in the second half. Snap shots, poor options and it seemed apparent that Laois were going to beat us from 10 minutes out from the end. Hopefully Ravenhill isn't out for the rest of the U20/JMcD campaigns.

It's not fatal at least, Westmeath losing at home to Kerry means that 4 wins from 4 should almost certainly see us in the final. Not that that's going to be an easy task.
The losers from Offaly v Westmeath next weekend are out of Joe Mc Donagh competition.
Like I said, 4 wins from 4 and we control our own destiny, so no excuses.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

There was a massive 6 point swing in about 30 seconds. Offaly failed to convert a goal chance to go 9 ahead and Leix swept up the other end to goal and get it back to 3.

Leix would never have pulled it back from 9 down.
But that's where Offaly weren't clinical and paid for it.

After that Offaly didn't show much composure. The quality of ball into the forwards dropped, The gaps started to appear in the middle, Leix started to get their running game going and with less pressure, their passes started to stick.

Having scored 21 points in the first 50 minutes, Offaly only scored 3 in the remaining 25.
Unfortunately this was a continuation of the league performances.
The Offaly bench didn't have as much impact as Leix's. Though the early injuries forced Offaly's hand.

However, what's done is done. Offaly still have control of their destiny at least.

If Offaly get their heads right in 6 days they'll beat Westmeath. Offaly need to immediately mentally reset now. Not spend three days mulling over the loss though. It's a big test of character, but the players should be well able to respond.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

private joker wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:08 pm Chairman in Ennis. Poor form.
What difference does it make where he was. He wasn’t going to be playing anyway.

G91
County player
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

This result is sickening the hole thing is just so frustrating

Does johny Kelly learn or work on things is a thing I'm really beginning to think not

Last year carlow played there full strength squad before the final that was an opportunity to asses to make a game plan did it happen no every god dam ball up in the clouds to a foward line who don't win high balls and nothing changed wild poor shots on goal decision making and the ability to win our own ball

Today vs loais everyone except johny Kelly could see what was about to happen and that we were lacking a big physical threat in foward line to really see out the game

It was clear where the issues were

Did anything change

Yes at 72 mins gone little to late to bring on oisin Kelly , jack clancy was warming up since 20 mins in and didn't get on until near full time

Seem to lack a game plan to see out a game wutch was clearly an issue during the league and again something similar out of the joe mcdonagh final when something clearly isn't working why is done time and time again

Just to add screeney was fouled on the back before the gaol to win it and there was 73 mins gone when the puck out for that gaol came aswel

And throwing a ball right in front of the referee that's just stupid

FaithfulFuture
Junior B
Club: S

Post by FaithfulFuture »

A proper championship contest today it has to be said. Neither of these teams should be playing in a 2nd tier championship if they are to be given the chance to improve.

I think the intensity of the first 50 minutes told for both teams, what differed was that Laois' bench added fresh scoring options in Picky Maher and whereas we were forced to introduce our scoring forwards early and the late subs were more around midfield with Fox and Clancy introduced.

Would have liked to see Oisin Kelly in earlier, the game was in the melting pot with 5 minutes to go and Johnny Kelly was arguing with the 4th official rather than focusing on the job at hand.

I thought at the back, Troy was composed between the sticks and hit some good puckouts.
Conneely was his usual assured self and Cathal king was fantastic for his championship debut.
Kiely will have to sort out his accuracy, for the entire league and now today his shooting has been costly. It was also disappointing how Laois ran through the middle of us a few times.
Killian Sampson was good at wing back.
Dan bourke had a great championship debut but his striking needs work, he picks up some fabulous positions but needs to be able to take more scores from 50 yards out.
Charlie Mitchell will be disappointed with his innings, he has oodles of ability but it just didn't happen today.
Ravenhill didnt look 100% from the start and probably should not have been playing. I wonder where today's injury leaves the rest of his season both u20 & senior.....
Duignan needs to be more dominant, he's probably our most physical player and needs to make himself a nuisance .
Nally put in a good performance.
Eimhin Kelly had some goal chances but never really looked comfortable in the position, I'm not sure would he more suited around midfield?
Screeney again showed that he has some magical touches.

Lads will have to do some soul searching and quickly move forward to next week. Game was in the melting pot, did anyone really stand up to get the win??

Overall disappointing and a slightly disappointing Offaly crowd at the game.
Might need to make one or two changes due to injury for Westmeath.
No option now but to win every single math and that ain't going to be easy with both Westmeath and Kerry waiting in the wings

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

allstar2010 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:58 pm
What difference does it make where he was. He wasn’t going to be playing anyway.
Makes no difference on the playing field but I can guarantee you every chairman of every county was at their counties championship match this weekend.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Private joker and so what if he wasn't. Take your personal gripe elsewhere

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

private joker wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:24 pm
allstar2010 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:58 pm
Makes no difference on the playing field but I can guarantee you every chairman of every county was at their counties championship match this weekend.

What a load of horse manure.
Not a single player ever have two hoots about wether or not the chairman was at the game.

A mixture of composure and tiredness got is in the end. Having to sprong subs very early meant we were robbed of that option coming down the stretch when fresh legs began to count.
Options on shooting too was often poor. Lads need to stop driving missiles in from 100 yards out.
Next Saturday will be a real dog fight now with Westmeath so hopefully there wont be any more injuries out of today
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The man has to work, the same as the rest of us. If he was a shift worker in a factory and had to work today, would there be an issue?
County Board officers put in huge hours weekly. And for no financial reward, they don't draw a salary, aren't paid travel expenses.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

G91
County player

Post by G91 »

Looked back at the last goal that was dreadful

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

We have to regroup and get our heads right for the Westmeath game
Our lack of goals is going to be a big issue
Especially as we seem to be conceeding
Soft ones .
Enjoy the nice weather

Wing Back
County player
Club: Coolderry

Post by Wing Back »

Abroad as usual with work, but listened to the whole match on Midlands radio 3 while keeping an eye on the Limerick Clare game.

Was bitterly disappointed after the match. But after sleeping on it, I am a little more clear minded I think.

Offaly seemed to be like Clare.....In control for the majority of the game, but somehow ended up on the losing side. We are quite fragile still and show scars of when teams get a little momentum, we shy back somewhat and stop doing what we were doing well up to that point.

While bitterly disappointed, I'm hoping the players can see they hurled quite well, and had that goal gone in to put us 9 up, it would most probably have been a different story. But we are where we are......Forget about that match now. We 100% can't lose to Westmeath if we want to salvage this campaign......Westmeath will have the same mentality after their loss and we really have to show character.

Have to agree with some commentators. I would have preferred that Oisin Kelly was brought on sooner. Losing Dan Ravenhill is a big loss to the Seniors, but especially the U20s. I hope his injury is not to serious and he will be back soon.
'Babs keating 'resigned' as coach because of illness and fatigue. The players were sick and tired of him'

G91
County player

Post by G91 »

Well hopefully johny Kelly will do a bit of homework this time,

Screeney is a massive asset but if you don't give him the ball where he can win it you take him from the game

Mitchell will have to find that spark,

Have to be able to win our own puck outs even more if you call for it make the run and it's pinpointed perfectly to you no excuse for dropping it and loosing possession

I don't understand why ravenhill was started either he's Been carrying an injury since under 20 vs galway he couldn't have been fit to start fir what its worth he was able to walk unaided ice pack on the hamstring

Cahill didn't look great not able to walk ice pack on the ankle

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Avoided commenting in the immediate aftermath of Sunday's crushing defeat.
Having got a chance to rewatch the game on Clubber last night (brilliant service), I said I'd comment.

Ultimately, Offaly's inaccuracy combined with Laois' subs and their running from deep won them the game.

Mark Troy did well in the goals. Offaly worked a few great puckouts, with Eimhin Kelly or Brian Duignan creating space for the rapid Dan Bourke to latch on to bouncing ball. Although a couple of puckouts did go astray and there was little option at times in the first half when Offaly retreated our half forward line into midfield for puckouts, looking to play it short before giving in long ball to the inside line. This worked at times, but more often than not, the balls in weren't good enough. Cillian Kiely pucked away far too much ball (high balls to Screeney) and had a mountain of wides.
Adam Screeney was unmarkable, scoring 4 from play in 50 minutes and winning a couple of frees. Left one free short from all of 30 yards, before nailing one from 90.

Cathal King had an excellent game at corner back in my opinion and popped up with a point.
Conneely, Burke, the 2 Sampsons and Kiely were often caught out waiting for a short pass to bounce up into their hand or onto the hurl. The pitch was very sandy and played havoc. Although the ball wasn't lost every time, it created rucks and stopped us from letting in quick, accurate ball.
Killian Sampson scored 2 excellent points from long range.
Jason Sampson had his worst game in a good while.

Unfortunate to see Ravenhill and Cahill depart. David King brought much needed physicality and composure at a time when Offaly needed it in a first-half rut.
I was surprised Offaly waited until the 66th minute to introduce Jack Clancy. We very rarely ran at Laois and when we did Eimhin Kelly created 2 goal chances which should have been taken. I was also surprised to see him give way for Fox after 55 minutes. He had just won a scorable free and his running was causing havoc. Offaly scored 3 points from this point to the end of the game.
Leon Fox took a great score on the sideline, but squandered 2 massive opportunities near the end.

Nally was doing well in the halfback line but went out of the game completely when pushed up to the half forward line.
Dan Bourke had a fantastic game.
Charlie Mitchell was non-existent for a long time and I don't know how he lasted 70 minutes.
Oisin Kelly brought a focal point for the final couple of minutes and it was clear Laois were wary of him. With time almost up he was fed in a perfect ball which was fumbled and lost before Laois scored their goal at the other end.

The Laois crowd were very quiet until the first goal went in.
This brought it back to 3 but you could feel the change in momentum throughout the ground.
With goalies no longer able to slow down the ensuing puckout by faking an injury/removing the helmet as they will have to go off for 30 seconds, there needs to be another plan in place.
Whether this is making a sub and drawing time out doing so, or a corner forward taking the helmet off and spending 30 seconds on the sideline or even just someone starting a bit of pushing and shoving to delay the game. A contingency must be in place to halt a decisive change in momentum, as it was.

We must pick ourselves off and go again.
Massive game against Westmeath next Saturday.
I think their u20s face Dublin Sunday, so it will be interesting to see how much they play. A few of their key players are u20, no more than ourselves.
If Cahill and Ravenhill are ruled out, I'd expect Screeney and King to come in.