Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joey1001
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurlers 2024

Post by joey1001 »

dubbiff wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:28 am
faithfulfanatic wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:11 am The 2 of ye are ruining the thread for everyone else.

Ye have both said what ye want to say, ye are clearly never going to agree on the answer so either move on or take it to private chat.

As with everything, balance is required and some of the u20s will have to play both competitions, that’s what all the hard training since October/November is for.
And that’s what the young lads will be eager to do aswell.
I hope Offaly win every single competition they enter.
Thank you fffanatic. Well said

I'm sorry but when someone here is disrespecting and slating players and management at every opportunity they should be called out.. we're all supposed to be supporters at the end of the day!

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:40 am
Anonymous1 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:18 am
joey1001 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:45 am Lads anyone else on here placing winning at u20 level above winning at senior level? I'm genuinely baffled by Anonymous1 and there was one other who said they'd take a leinster u20 ahead of a Mcdonagh win. If so what is the logic behind it?
What’s your logic behind taking a Joe Mcdonagh group win over an All Ireland U20?
It's senior its the highest grade and its most important for the county to progress there and all those u20s aspire to play for the seniors, I've been there myself! How many lads on this u20 panel will cement a place on the senior team over the next few years? If you told any of those players that they can have an u20 medal but will never have the chance to play with the senior team, how many of them would take it? Your issue is clearly that its a "second" competition? That to me makes it even more important to win.. seniors compete at the highest level in the league also! And again i ask you, would you rather success every year at under 20 with no progress at senior? Yes or no? When you answer that then tell me which is more important a Mcdonagh win or an under 20 win. All players on u20 are adults and eligible to play senior, only a few are good enough, yet this team winning is more important and "prestigious" than the senior team winning ? Its the highest level , its where all the u20 players want to be and its that simple..
Most of the U20 panel won’t make it onto the Senior team, that’s just how it works so of course their priority is to win potentially the only All Ireland competition they’ll ever compete in.

How does winning an U20 medal hurt their chances of making the Senior team in future??? :lol:

Winning an U20 All Ireland and being crowned the undisputed no.1 hurling team in the country for that given year will always come above being crowned the 11th best Senior team in the country.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:52 am
Anonymous1 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:17 am
joey1001 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:38 am

Are you actually taking the piss? You're placing an under 20 ahead of senior? So the u20 are better than the senior and could win the Mcdonagh? You'd be happy for us to win at u20 level every year and never progress at senior? And you're right it does tell you all you need to know. Senior is the highest grade hence why ony a few under 20 players on the team but that's the ambition of all the u20 players and I doubt you've spoken to any players, you don't like offaly players except I suppose u20 hurlers
You really should stop digging an even bigger hole for yourself… How many seniors have an U20 All Ireland medal? Why is that?

And I speak to players regularly unlike you or you’d know which is more prestigious. A second tier competition or a first tier…
I doubt too many players would speak to you if they saw how you treat players/management on here! And none of the seniors have an All Ireland u20 medal, nor do the current squad, nor will they either unfortunately. I bet you put the under 20 football ahead of the tailteann Cup aswell? Bear in mind if this u20 team were to win an All Ireland , several of these players would end their career in 20 odd years with an All Ireland u20 winning medal without ever having been good enough to compete in the Mcdonagh cup not mind to win it.
You’re a walking hypocrite.

In one sentence you accuse me of treating the players/management badly and in the next you say that the U20s won’t be winning any medals :lol:

Of course the U20 All Ireland football title goes above a Tailteann Cup that didn’t even exist 3 years ago. Again, being crowned best in the country or 17th? I know what any reasonable person would choose.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

joey1001 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:29 am
faithfulfanatic wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:11 am The 2 of ye are ruining the thread for everyone else.

Ye have both said what ye want to say, ye are clearly never going to agree on the answer so either move on or take it to private chat.

As with everything, balance is required and some of the u20s will have to play both competitions, that’s what all the hard training since October/November is for.
I hope so too and I apologise but this guy is just a nuisance and someone has to call him out.. he's knocked every team since last November apart from this u20 team , people have disagreed and when the team loses he came back to say "I told you so". Great to praise when things are going well, first to slate when they're not.. I won't be engaging any further with him from here out, I've done enough to show him for what he is. Anyway agreed yes let's hope we win them all. Hon offaly!
You obviously don’t hope we win them all because you continuously say the U20s won’t win anything…

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Totally agree, the quality of this forum has deteriorated significantly since he joined. No room for any constructive criticism anymore, everything has to be unlimited positivity or you’re shot down… You’d wonder why someone would be so supportive of the current management teams…

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

:cry:
joey1001 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:34 am
dubbiff wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:28 am

Thank you fffanatic. Well said

I'm sorry but when someone here is disrespecting and slating players and management at every opportunity they should be called out.. we're all supposed to be supporters at the end of the day!
Don’t be so harsh on yourself… Find it in your heart to support these U20s, they’re the best team we’ve had in any code in years.

joey1001
All Star

Post by joey1001 »

I support all teams equally and do not choose based on level of prestige or how well the team is going

I hope all teams win

I have absolutely no affiliation with any team at any level within offaly football or hurling and i know an odd player in most teams but not personally

Saying a team won't won something is not criticising or slating them, I have not been writing off any offaly team since last October.

If it appears that I have been biased towards the offaly senior footballers I think you'll find that in no uncertain terms our league form has been franked by several teams we played and my analysis was in fact correct

These are my opinions and they are respectful of player's and management at all levels.

I think we'll have a crack at a few competitions but will only win them if we are at our very very best.

If we do lose I won't be back here to say I told you so or brag about predicting the down fall of one of our teams!

Our senior hurlers have the best chance of winning, followed by our senior footballers and u20 hurlers, do not jump on me please, the senior u20s will have to play 5 matches in the next 2 and a half weeks to win a leinster and keep the senior team going aswell, that is a monumental work load and against some strong u20 opponents it is very difficult to see us win it out but if any team can these lads can, they are a credit to the county and everyone who knows them. The big worry is that we end up winning nothing in hurling and are stuck in Mcdonagh for another year, my point was simply that could happen if we don't make some sacrifices at under 20 level where our chance of winning and the importance of winning is less. For me we have to go all out for Mcdonagh success and all these under 20s next year and for many years can compete at the highest level.

I apologise to all users and won't be engaging with a certain poster from here on out, im an offaly supporter and am sticking up for our teams and players, no player or manager at any level past or present owe us anything. #respectplayersandmanagement #honoffaly

JohnnyBoy24
Junior B

Post by JohnnyBoy24 »

Fair play Joey. It would be great to win the u20 Leinster again but the McDonagh has to be the bigger picture. I think we need to get back into the Leinster senior hurling championship to give that u20 group the best chance over the next ten years to make Offaly hurling great again. No slight whatsoever on the lads 25 - 30 years old there now , they have taken us from beaten Christy ring semi finalists to Joe mc contenders in a short time and got us back into division 1.
Another few years in McDonagh and I just don't see us keeping many of those lads together for next decade.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Kerry's new star Luke Crowley set to miss next Sunday's crucial game against Offaly as the All Ireland u20 football final is also on Sunday.
No confirmation either way, but you'd imagine football comes before anything else in the Kingdom.

Crowley is from Glenflesk and son of 3-time All Ireland winner Johnny. He hurls with Rathmore on the Cork border who won last year's Kerry Junior hurling, thanks to Crowley scoring 14 points from 15.

Of the panel Kerry named to face Laois 2 weeks ago, there was one player from Lixnaw, one from Ballyduff, two from Kilmoyley and two from Crotta O'Neills, all Kerry hurling powerhouses.
Meanwhile, there were two players from Kilmallock and two from Mungret St Pauls, who all qualify under the parentage rule afforded to Kerry that was meant for Lory Meagher and Nicky Rackard counties and which Michael Duignan and Kerry senior manager Stephen Molumphy of Waterford clashed over in 2022.
Louis Dee of Mungret will line out in goals and hurled underage for Limerick. He actually transferred to Liam Mellows of Galway last year, which really makes a laugh of the parentage rule allowing him to hurl with Kerry.
Niall Mulcahy of Mungret lines out at centre forward.
Killian Hayes of Kilmallock was wing forward and David Woulfe was a sub, however I'd expect Woulfe who also played for Limerick underage, to start in Crowley's absence.
Former Limerick hurler Paudie O'Brien is the Kerry defensive coach and comes from Kilmallock, so I'd imagine he played a role in getting Woulfe and Hayes on board.

G91
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by G91 »

What a joke , hard to believe this is allowable if it was offaly you can be certain it wouldn't be the case

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Wasn't there a lad from castleknock playing for the u20s footballers a year or two ago?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Quite. I recall one of the Portumna lads was stopped from hurling with Offaly around 2019 / 2020. Can't remember who it was, but this might jog someone's memory.
G91 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:08 pm What a joke , hard to believe this is allowable if it was offaly you can be certain it wouldn't be the case
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:55 pm Quite. I recall one of the Portumna lads was stopped from hurling with Offaly around 2019 / 2020. Can't remember who it was, but this might jog someone's memory
Dolphin

Faithfully
Intermediate

Post by Faithfully »

private joker wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:41 pm Wasn't there a lad from castleknock playing for the u20s footballers a year or two ago?
Eoin Sawyer. He didn't play a minute, mind you. It was the All Ireland winning team.

Shane Horan, the Kilmacud man with Ballycumber roots put in a few good years for the seniors.

John Coughlan from St Sylvesters played under Tom Cribben in 2010-11.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-hurling ... rling/amp/

Article on Martin Dolphin from 2019.

States that counties in Liam Mc, Joe Mc or Christy Ring could no longer avail of this.
So I don’t know how Kerry are allowed.
The joys of being part of Munster GAA I assume?
The same Munster Council that ensured Ken Hogan’s sons could hurl with Lorrha and Tipp instead of Carrig and Offaly.