Offaly Intermediate Club Hurling Championship 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Pick the 2 finalists

Rynaghs
5%
Drumcullen
23%
Coolderry
18%
Belmont
5%
Seir Kieran
No votes
Carrig and Riverstown
36%
Shinrone
No votes
Edenderry
14%

Total votes: 22

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly Intermediate Club Hurling Championship 2023

Post by SearingDrive »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:49 am Bray lost all ireland semi final in Tullamore last year to eventual champions Monaleen. I was at the game, they went very close to beating them.

An all ireland win would see the following year Wicklow champions compete in Leinster senior club championship, just as happened with Naas. It can only be good for the game in the province.

Bray narrowly beat Portlaoise yesterday but they will have their work cut out to get over Thomastown who hammered Cloughbawn of Wexford.

Kildalkey easily dispatched of Clodiagh Gaels yesterday. They’re on the crest of a wave having won Senior Intermediate and Junior in Meath, although yesterday was their first ever win in Leinster. Was Joey Keenaghan out injured yesterday?

Meanwhile, Carrig had a great win. They have Kildare intermediate champions Leixlip next who narrowly overcame Louth senior champions Naomh Fechin. But it’s nigh-on impossible that anyone other than Walter Walsh’s Tullogher-Rosbercon would win this out. They beat Laois champions Colt-Shanahoe 5-25 to 1-01 yesterday. The Kilkenny champions at both junior and intermediate (Tullaroan, Glenmore etc) often go on and consolidate their position or get promoted again, showing just how tough the task is for any other clubs to go and win a Leinster at these grades.
Clodiagh Gaels were better off not being promoted this year. They would have been devoured in Senior A. They need to develop a side able to compete at Senior level.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Clodiagh Gaels have had a couple of seasons at Senior A and were out of their depth across them all.

I can’t see any development changing that.

For example the team who was relegated from Senior A this year beat CG by 17 points in the 2022 relegation final.

So if the worst team in the 2023 senior championship are 17 points better than you where does that leave you?

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I think that is very harsh they were more than competive senior in 22 and ran some teams under 10 points.

The lack depth yes but I think they wouldn't be far off tullamore Kinnitty and Clareen.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:08 am Clodiagh Gaels have had a couple of seasons at Senior A and were out of their depth across them all.

For example the team who was relegated from Senior A this year beat CG by 17 points in the 2022 relegation final.

So if the worst team in the 2023 senior championship are 17 points better than you where does that leave you?
I don’t think you like Clodiagh Gaels for some reason, only you can provide.
Clodiagh Gaels like all clubs, have every right to strive to better themselves by aiming for the highest standards.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

greenairfield wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:46 am I think that is very harsh they were more than competive senior in 22 and ran some teams under 10 points.

The lack depth yes but I think they wouldn't be far off tullamore Kinnitty and Clareen.
Thanks for that reasoned contribution. We are a small club providing sporting opportunities for our players, and leisure amenities for the wider community.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

SearingDrive wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:28 pm
greenairfield wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:46 am I think that is very harsh they were more than competive senior in 22 and ran some teams under 10 points.

Thanks for that reasoned contribution. We are a small club providing sporting opportunities for our players, and leisure amenities for the wider community.
I completely agree with your points RE the right to play Senior A and that CG aren’t far off the bottom few Senior A teams.

Although I wouldn’t have classed CG as a small club?

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

faithfulfanatic wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:24 pm
SearingDrive wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:28 pm

I completely agree with your points RE the right to play Senior A and that CG aren’t far off the bottom few Senior A teams.

Although I wouldn’t have classed CG as a small club?
The parish of Killeigh if I'm not mistaken is the biggest parish in the county so claiming to be a small club is a bit disingenuous to be honest. Ballyfore and Seir Kieran are small clubs.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Would love to know size of clubs geographical area from highest to lowest in Offaly. Surely kk would be the biggest.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

frankthetank wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:15 pm
SearingDrive wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:25 pm
frankthetank wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:08 am Clodiagh Gaels have had a couple of seasons at Senior A and were out of their depth across them all.

I don’t think you like Clodiagh Gaels for some reason, only you can provide.
Clodiagh Gaels like all clubs, have every right to strive to better themselves by aiming for the highest standards. Small minded people like you are a nuisance, but thankfully you are in the minority.
So having an opinion that CG aren't fit for Senior A hurling makes me small minded??
Who , other than when Tullamore were in senior B are fit for senior A. No one in senior b now, other than clodaigh gaels are equipped to go up senior A.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

greenairfield wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:27 pm Would love to know size of clubs geographical area from highest to lowest in Offaly. Surely kk would be the biggest.

Land doesn’t play GAA, people do.

But yes, KK must be up there area wise along Drumcullen.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The bigger parishes (by area) would tend to be in the eastern third of the county. Like, east of Tullamore consists almost entirely of Daingean, Killeigh, Rhode, Edenderry, Broughans and Gracefield parishes. And Gracefield would be a small enough area.
greenairfield wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:27 pm Would love to know size of clubs geographical area from highest to lowest in Offaly. Surely kk would be the biggest.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

There has been a lot of comment here about the size of Killeigh parish, and it is a big parish geographically. To make an assessment that makes Clodiagh Gaels a big club is not true, they are a dual club based n the Killeigh/ Killurin areas in the western end of the parish, bordering Killoughey and Clonaslee parishes mostly. Traditionally Killeigh was hurling, and the Geashill/ Cloneygowan areas in the eastern side were the main football areas. Ballinagar is another football only club in the Killeigh parish area, and bordering Daingean parish.

There was always a flow of talented players from the hurling areas to the Raheen side to play Senior football, with a fewfootballers trying their hand at hurling, like the late Offaly footballer Larry Coughlan winning the 1967 junior hurling title with Killeigh, who were promoted to Senior the following season.
That was the system then, it’s different now with Intermediate and Senior B hurling teams striving for promotion. Senior A hurling is the highest grade.
Sorry for going on, but it should clear up some misconceptions.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

SearingDrive wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:13 pm There has been a lot of comment here about the size of Killeigh parish, and it is a big parish geographically. To make an assessment that makes Clodiagh Gaels a big club is not true, they are a dual club based n the Killeigh/ Killurin areas in the western end of the parish, bordering Killoughey and Clonaslee parishes mostly. Traditionally Killeigh was hurling, and the Geashill/ Cloneygowan areas in the eastern side were the main football areas. Ballinagar is another football only club in the Killeigh parish area, and bordering Daingean parish.

There was always a flow of talented players from the hurling areas to the Raheen side to play Senior football, with a fewfootballers trying their hand at hurling, like the late Offaly footballer Larry Coughlan winning the 1967 junior hurling title with Killeigh, who were promoted to Senior the following season.
That was the system then, it’s different now with Intermediate and Senior B hurling teams striving for promotion. Senior A hurling is the highest grade.
Sorry for going on, but it should clear up some misconceptions.
But lads from Geashill, Ballinagar and further afield are free to play with CG? And they do don’t they? So saying CG is only part of the parish isn’t quite true as lads from every area of the parish play