U20 hurlers 23

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Re: U20 hurlers 23

Post by Superhans75 »

Wonder will they be unavailable for receiving there
Grant payments ?
Skinny jeans all round lo 👀😆
Birr losing was a shock but you could see it coming.
Minors have been poor for along time so what do you expect.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Clara missing conor doyle and donal Shirley. Be a good idea for bronsa gaels to go fully to Clara. Make a very good senior team likewise carrig and crinkle.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

are these fixtures not made out well in advance giving Belmont adequate notice to change the date?

Where was the grad on
Could the lads not have played the match and gone into the grad later.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Jaysus lads, could a bit of common sense not prevail here. Both teams had agreed to move it 24 hours. It was a genuine case and neither team had an issue. Lads give up enough of their time for GAA. Personally I think its ridiculous the county board would not facilitate it. i actually feel sorry for both clubs as they worked well together in the circumstances.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

timber wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:56 pm Jaysus lads, could a bit of common sense not prevail here. Both teams had agreed to move it 24 hours. It was a genuine case and neither team had an issue. Lads give up enough of their time for GAA. Personally I think its ridiculous the county board would not facilitate it. i actually feel sorry for both clubs as they worked well together in the circumstances.
Madness. that the change didn't happen. what difference would 24 hours make.
We trying to keep young lads playing the game and we can't move a game by 24 hours.

Apart from that, KK are have a descent team at this level. :lol:
Good win Na Fianna and 1-26 is a good score
SBK Coolderry was that a draw. 2-20 to 3-17
“Common sense is not so common.”

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

In fairness to all players, when both teams agreed to move it by one day to facilitate the grad, and if this is true, I think its absolutely ridiculous that the co board couldn't agree to that.

On a few other games, amazing that Clara Brosna Gaels could beat Ballinamere without young Shirley and Doyle. That said,not sure if fully true, but heard some of the Ballinamere Co U20s were stopped playing U20 championship to save themselves for senior championship at weekend. Bizarre decision if true.

Also saw on twitter that Shamrocks conceded their game to Tullamore in U20 championship. It is shocking that a club the size of Shamrocks cant get 15 U20 players to play a local derby against Tullamore of all clubs. You'd have to question what is going on in Shamrocks when they can't put out an U20 team with the numbers they have, in addition to be in line for relegation in Senior A football, Senior B hurling and Junior A hurling all in the one year.

It does seem as if the traditional strongholds of Coolderry, Clareen and Kinnity etc might struggle in years to come, given results etc in championship. KK have a monopoly on underage hurling now in Offaly. There was a time when they were separate clubs. With the nos they have now in comparison to other South Offaly clubs, should that be looked at again? They have 5 or 6 primary schools feeding into KK. I think that if Kilcormac and Killoughey were to enter separate teams in U20 championship this year, the two teams would probably be the best 2 teams in the competition. Is it 5 or 6 minor championships in a row that they have won now? Looking at the level of competition from what people would perceive as the stronger clubs, it is amazing to think that it is now 13 years since St Rynaghs have won a minor hurling championship and nearly 20 years since Birr have won it.
jimbob

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Maybe kk splitting in two at u20 might be a runner. Like the situation in birr, carrig and crinkle. Mad to think they were allowed to join to together as St brendans. Now you have two separate teams playing meaning less subs and more players getting to play.

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

I suppose we are trying to reinvent the wheel
What will hurling look like in South Offaly in 5 or 10 years
Time ?
Probably only end up with 3 clubs max .
It's discussion no wants to have but needs to be addressed.
Demographics are changing and so are people's choices.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Mad to think they were allowee to join together?

Private joker they joined together I'm guessing over 40 years ago because both carrig and crinkle didn't have enough to make a team. For the next 30 odd or so years the team would be made up of 90% of Birr players with the odd crinkle or Carrig player.

Its only the last 10 years where there has been more of an even split.

Anyway it's one age group u20 i have no idea what your raving about.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

The minute CRC was formed, the St brendans team should have been stopped. Imagine having almost 40 players on one panel. You now have a correct situation where CRC have standalone teams all the way up to u20 and if heads were knocked together it would include senior too.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Yes bring in parish rule like the rest of the county and it would make perfect sense.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

private joker wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:18 am Regardless of the reasons, both clubs agreed to play the following day. Surely playing is better than conceding?
Clara bet B/D 3 17 to 1-16.
So they agreed that 13 out of the 15 should play a championship match the evenin after a heavy nights drinking? FFS....no wonder the GAA is seen as rogue with regard to drink, crazy.

Fixtures are tight alround and particularly at this stage of the season so play the match at 7 and bus the lads on to the venue as soon as. From what I heard last year, they wont be missing out much on the food offerings at these venues, pure shit and a rip off of these kids to be honest.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Both clubs agreed to move.

faithfulfanatic
All Star
Club: Coolderry

Post by faithfulfanatic »

Superhans75 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:55 pm I suppose we are trying to reinvent the wheel
What will hurling look like in South Offaly in 5 or 10 years
Time ?
Probably only end up with 3 clubs max .
It's discussion no wants to have but needs to be addressed.
Demographics are changing and so are people's choices.
3 clubs max in South Offaly 😂😂😂

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

5/10 years we will be still the same. We need new agreements with club that make sense lusmagh playing with kinnitty and coolderry playing with CRC makes no sense whole thing needs to be looked at. Clubs when joining up should go to the parish next to them not through it!