NFL Div 3 predictions 2023

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Re: NFL Div 3 predictions 2023

Post by Superhans75 »

By the way it was 1 euro each way flight from Ryan air
It was dearer for a can of coke in Dublin airport vending machine.
People should take a trip to see London play it's free into the game great welcome and good public transport..
Very handy for Heathrow airport.
Mind you I see we're it's 30 euros for Connaught championship games at the early stages !!!!

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Yesterday was a real wake up call.

Hammered on the kick out, the mobvement of the Cavan players was very good.
There are a few switches (which were referenced in earlier posts) that could be made to improve the team (particularly in defence). Our halfback line offers no threat going forward. I thought a few kick outs aimed in Joe Mahers direction could have been an option.

In fariness though, we are in a better position than many expected with the 2 wins from the first 2 games, and a win next weekend will all buit secure our status in the division which will be an achievement.
Liam Kearns has stabilised things and proven to be a decent appointment. An issue we have is that we need another win, but he also needs to get more guys gametime as we need to build a panel. Jack O'Brien getting some time was good yesterday. Cian Farrell has a bit to go. Anton and Dylan hyland very good again yesterday.

Standard of refereeing leaves a lot to be desired, and thats not whining, but there was a spell in the last ten minutes of the first half where we got nothing and similar "tackles" resulted in frees to Cavan. Plus the cynicism around the persistent fouling of Anton in last 10 mins was fairly hard to watch. I don't understand the black card, Anton is pulled down of the ball andis a black, pulled down heading through and is a yellow...was one more deliberate than the other.
But fair play, he kept the head, and few of his colleagues stepped in to defend him.

I would think though that maybe we are doing a bit to much mouthing on the field, and refs appear to get frustrated with it? Hard to know from the terrace, but personally watching the games, it's now impossible to judge if a foul or a tackle.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Anyway, big week psychologically for the management. 2 defeats will take a bit of the wind out of the sails but we have it in our own hands still. Longford are off the mark with the draw yesterday. We need to try to play a little more positively next week and not sit back. Weather will leave the ground in good condition and we should be able to use the pace we have in the team.

Longford Arms for the carvery ye say?!

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

going by scores got to date, we probably will beat Longford, just above 10 point or so is Longfords average score to date, we seem to be hitting just above that, so I wouldnt be expecting a fireworks display of a performance but a dog fight type game where Offaly will prevail by something like 0-15 0-12..if not closer...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:59 pm Anyway, big week psychologically for the management. 2 defeats will take a bit of the wind out of the sails but we have it in our own hands still. Longford are off the mark with the draw yesterday. We need to try to play a little more positively next week and not sit back. Weather will leave the ground in good condition and we should be able to use the pace we have in the team.

Longford Arms for the carvery ye say?!
Yes to the carvery Staying in Div.3 more realistic than promotion, so a win on Sunday will help, but Longford will make it hard for Offaly. Tipperary away next, then a home game v Down in the final league fixture. 4 points out of 6 would be a good return.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Superhans75 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:51 am By the way it was 1 euro each way flight from Ryan air
It was dearer for a can of coke in Dublin airport vending machine.
People should take a trip to see London play it's free into the game great welcome and good public transport..
Very handy for Heathrow airport.
Mind you I see we're it's 30 euros for Connaught championship games at the early stages !!!!
you must be living with a luggage bag in your hand, as I have heard of all these cheap flights on social media, and twice in the last 2 years I travelled to the UK and be it planning it 2 or 3 months ahead or planning a few days before hand, not once did I see any flights for €1 or €10 or €20 etc..listening to colleagues in work at the same thing "oh the flights are only X amount" I have yet to find them using all the usual search engines..well done for finding them by the way:)

Superhans75
All Star
Club: Birr

Post by Superhans75 »

No luggage! day return with booking.com
Through Skyscanner .
Another 2 1euro fights next Wednesday/ Thursday.
Don't pay for seat just book in 4 ours before generally get an aisle or window seat .
Bus fare to Dublin airport is the dearest thing .
As a good tight Offaly person with extra Scottish blood
I'm always on the hunt for a bargain.
Known how do I plug into next door electricity lol 🤔😆😆😆🙄

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

more luck to ya if ya can drop all as the saying goes and go at such short notice...couldnt live like that now myself but each to their own..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Allianz FL Division 3 round 5
Fermanagh v Tipperary, Brewster Park, 1pm - a tough game for Tipperary away, Fermangagh had a tough win against what appears to be an unlucky Antrim side to date who are scoring well, but losing by the odd point with the exception of Offaly game. Fermanagh will hardly do Tipp any favours. Tipp drew with Longford last day out - Prediction Fermangh 2-15 Tipperary 0-13

Cavan v Down, Kingspan Breffni, 2pm - BBC iPlayer - this is a big clash at the top of the table - Down had an importante win last day against promotion rivals Westmeath, Cavan scored a fine 0-21 against us. Down can get goals, which they might need if they are to stop Cavan, will they get enough though, I dont think they will, Cavan should win this by a few points BUT I am predicting a draw given the nature of the clash in the division - Cavan 0-18 Down 2-12

Westmeath v Antrim, TEG Cusack Park, 2pm - another interesting game here as I said Antrim have been playing well but not getting the results. Westmeath will wonder where they are in the division, beating Offaly then losing to Down, but lost to Cavan day one too. At home one would think Westmeath will be a tad favourite here, I think Antrim if the day is nice and dry and firm pitch might score well enough again here, and if they get goals which the can, I think they might sneak a win here, they are not as bad as their position on the table. Antrim 2-10 Westmeath 1-11

Longford v Offaly, Glennon Brothers Pearse Park, 2pm - going by scores got to date, we probably will beat Longford, just above 10 point or so is Longfords average score to date, we seem to be hitting just above that, so I wouldnt be expecting a fireworks display of a performance but a dog fight type game where Offaly will prevail by something like 0-15 0-12..if not closer...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Allianz FL3 2023 P W D L Dif Pts
Cavan 4 4 0 0 33 8
Fermanagh 4 3 0 1 8 6
Down 4 3 0 1 5 6
Westmeath 4 2 0 2 20 4
Offaly 4 2 0 2 -6 4
Antrim 4 1 0 3 0 2
Tipperary 4 0 1 3 -23 1
Longford 4 0 1 3 -37 1

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Fair call there

But think Cavan will beat Down, Westmeath will surely beat Antrim

Fermanagh appear a banker and harsh as it sounds, our season hinges on beating or drawing with Longford (unless we lose whereby it hinges on Tipp game!!)

If anyone going to travel to follow Offaly, then Longford Sunday is the one that a crowd will be needed.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

ah lethimoutwithit wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:31 pm Fair call there

But think Cavan will beat Down, Westmeath will surely beat Antrim

Fermanagh appear a banker and harsh as it sounds, our season hinges on beating or drawing with Longford (unless we lose whereby it hinges on Tipp game!!)

If anyone going to travel to follow Offaly, then Longford Sunday is the one that a crowd will be needed.
Could be a difficult day in Longford. They always play well against us. I expect a draw.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

If I had to pick a team to take on Longford here is what I'd go with based on who is currently on the panel

1. Ian Duffy
2. Jack O'Brien
3. Declan Hogan
4. Ciaran Donnelly
5. Rory Egan
6. David Dempsey
7. Cian Donohue
8. Peter Cunningham
9. Joe Maher
10. Conor McNamee
11. Ruairi McNamee
12. Anton Sullivan
13. Bernard Allen
14. Nigel Dunne
15. Dylan Hyland

Something needs to change at midfield. There is no lack of effort but the lack of ball winning is strangling this team as games go into the last quarter. Cunningham could win some ball there and Maher is teak tough and wouldn't be pushed around and also can also field ball.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

bracknaghboy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:42 pm If I had to pick a team to take on Longford here is what I'd go with based on who is currently on the panel

1. Ian Duffy
2. Jack O'Brien
3. Declan Hogan
4. Ciaran Donnelly
5. Rory Egan
6. David Dempsey
7. Cian Donohue
8. Peter Cunningham
9. Joe Maher
10. Conor McNamee
11. Ruairi McNamee
12. Anton Sullivan
13. Bernard Allen
14. Nigel Dunne
15. Dylan Hyland

Something needs to change at midfield. There is no lack of effort but the lack of ball winning is strangling this team as games go into the last quarter. Cunningham could win some ball there and Maher is teak tough and wouldn't be pushed around and also can also field ball.
Ah here, have you been to any Offaly games this year? Because if so it’s impossible to understand how you’ve made a team like this.

You’re swapping out Lee Pearson for Jack O’Brien. On what basis? O’Brien was subbed on for a couple of minutes on Sunday as Hogan had a bit of a knock but hasn’t featured in any other game, Pearson has hardly put a foot wrong. Not sure what that’s going to achieve.

Cunningham has probably been our best defensive player so far this year and you want to jettison him out of 6 for Dempsey who I don’t believe has ever played 6 before for Offaly in a crucial game against Longford? No thanks

Joe Maher in at 9? Seriously? He’s never played midfield in his life and like Dempsey, you want to chuck him straight in ahead of a crucial clash against Longford? He’s been given a good few chances this year in his preferred half forward line and has made virtually no impact. Two points from play across 6 games is a dismal return imo

Conor Mcnamee moved to wing forward? I’m honestly flabbergasted, not only does he almost never score, he doesn’t even attempt to shoot and he hasn’t got a great deal of pace, what is he seriously going to offer at wing forward? It’s midfield or nowhere for him

Last but not least, you want Nigel in at 14? He’s had 5 games this year for Offaly, all in the full forward line and like Maher, has produced a grand total of 0-02 from play. An even more disappointing return than Maher, these two have had enough bites of the cherry by now and they just can’t produce the goods. The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

We had 4 wins from 4 before losing to the two strongest teams in the division. We don’t need to rip everything up and throw the baby out with the bath water.

1-7 has been the bedrock of the team thus far, for the most part they’ve held opposing teams to scores that’ve made the games winnable, I really don’t think it’s advisable to start poking around with this unit.

The midfield has more than held their own so far but have been overpowered physically in the past two games. Again, I’m not sure a change here is particularly advisable given we don’t seem to have any other natural midfielders on the panel and moving a starter from another position upsets the apple cart too much at this delicate stage of the season.

Up front as I’ve said all along has been our major issue outside of Anton and Hyland. Panda and Ruairi should both still start because we know what both can do, the other two spots are up for grabs but putting Nigel/Joe back in is not the answer from what I’ve seen. I’d be much more inclined to persist with Bill Carroll and Cian Farrell, particularly the latter until he’s fully fit.

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Hahhahahahahaha hilarious post 🤣
Midfield is the issue quite obviously, I enjoyed this post though!!
Maher has been good all year without being outstanding .Joe is a real baller, strong in the air , good passer . I’d start him at 11
Cunnigham to midfield is a must. Cian Donoghue at 6 and keep it as it was from 2-7 apart from that. Peter will offer us more from there,
Dunne hasn’t played 5 games ya mad yoke hahaha, I’d say around the equivalent of 3 based on minutes on the field. I’m actually more convinced after last weekend that he HAS to start , offers so much more than scoring.I’d actually argue he has not played in ff line once?? Playing at wing as far as I could see from the games I was at and I only missed Antrim game.

I’m flabbergasted that you think midfield is not an issue,

My team for what it’s worth and to be fair we all have our own view on the team and players and it’s a good bit of craic and nice to debate etc

1. Ian Duffy
2. Ciaran Donnelly
3. Declan Hogan
4. David Dempsey
5. Rory Egan
Cian Donoghue
7. Lee Pearson
8. Peter Cunnigham
9. Conor Mcnamee/Jack Mcevoy
10.Dylan Hyland
11. Joe Maher
12. Anton Sullivan
13. Cian Johnson
14. Nigel Dunne
15. Cian Farrell

I’m actually not sure if Johnson is in there but I’d like that team . Only my opinion 💪💪💪💪