National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

Post by bracknaghboy »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:39 pm https://twitter.com/offaly_gaa/status/1 ... 88131?s=21

This could be interesting.

Is declan kelly no longer taking the u20s?
He's still over both the Offaly U20s and St. Lomans in Westmeath for 2022. Busy man indeed.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

bracknaghboy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:36 am
pigeon house biffo wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:39 pm https://twitter.com/offaly_gaa/status/1 ... 88131?s=21

This could be interesting.

Is declan kelly no longer taking the u20s?
He's still over both the Offaly U20s and St. Lomans in Westmeath for 2022. Busy man indeed.
He’s volunteering very hard!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

frankthetank wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:52 pm
He’s volunteering very hard!
Above and beyond the call of duty Frank :D

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Just a memory. It will be 40 years, or 4 decades since Offaly beat Kerry in the famous All Ireland Final of 1982. Seamus Darby was the Offaly hero that day. Will we ever see Offaly in another final?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

In a tier 1 final going for sam? No.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

we would all say no in the main, yet the u21 team of 1988 did deliver the spine of the 1997-2000 team, we won a Leinster and a league out of nowhere as we thought..we were unfortunate enough in ways during that time, drawing with Kildare, dethroning Meath as All Ireland champions...losing to Mayo on a miserable day after glorious sunny dry evening win over Meath in 97..we won a very good NFL in 1998...things were good...we won last years U20. will that guarantee success, of course not, and probably harder now than 30 years ago when we thought everything then was professional almost, what would ya call it now if thats the case..its very hard to see with the standard now, but we live in hope and who would have honestly said 2 or 3 years ago (at the start of last year even to be honest) that we would win a Leinster U20, let alone an All Ireland, so sport is a funny game like that...its a pity it is gone so professional almost, the good is almost gone out of it now with all the commitment required and almost every team loses players who cannot give the commitment every year..young and older players...its a huge ask now...

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Does anyone else find it difficult to buy the national league tickets on line? I’m registered but still seem to have to input loads of details every time.

Had a football season ticket when the hurlers were in division 2 but now with hurlers back in division 1 and often have to choose because of clash so not buying season tickets this year.
Doon exile....

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Any idea on what the story is with cian johnson?

Any chance of shane tierney getting called back in?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

No idea re Johnson. By all accounts from some in the know in Ferbane, he has a lot to do to get back to where he was. Is very talented, but at Co senior level, talent is only the base level. Character and work ethic will be the criteria under which it is decided if he is good enough to play Co senior or not longer term.

I watched the DCU v UL game live. Bill Carroll had decent first half. Didnt see much of him in second half. Jack Bryant came on with maybe 15 mins to go but barely got hands on ball and got pushed around when he did. He is young and has lots of time left at this level. However, from Offaly perspective, Shane Tierney was a real shining light for DCU. While he did not start, he was in after about 15 or 20 minutes and had 2 points to his name before half time. In the second half he was probably DCU's best forward scoring again from play and having at least one assist and was commended a couple of times by neutral commentators. He was also given the frees which says a lot about how he is viewed by DCU and Paddy Christie. Beyond that, he was central to most of what was good about DCU.

Rarely in Offaly in last 20 years have we had a forward shining at that level. I don't know what went on between John Maughan and him previously but in the best interests of Offaly, Tierney should be brought back into the fold for the senior team. I am not saying he should be starting but he should be allowed the opportunity to fight for his place. He is most definitely good enough based on the Sigerson cup display. He was way more influential than Jack Bryant in the semi final, a lad who is supposed to be the future of Offaly football. Offaly can't afford to be without lads like that and in on this form, we could do with that bit of spark given our abject performances from our forwards in the league so far this year.

Joe Maher was given a second chance after apparently having issues with Co senior management previously. He was given a second opportunity on back of good club displays. Tierney should be afforded similar opportunity.
jimbob

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Fairplayalways wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:22 pm we would all say no in the main, yet the u21 team of 1988 did deliver the spine of the 1997-2000 team, we won a Leinster and a league out of nowhere as we thought...
Some very good points there but the 1988 Under 21 team didn't deliver very many of the 1997-2000 team. As far as I can recall Tom Coffey, Jimmy Stewart and Phil O'Reilly were the only ones to feature at senior level during the latter period.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

ah I know not too many, but I suppose it lays a basis in the leagues etc. leading up ot a break through..I thought more (more than 3 or so) of that team came through to be honest without going googling it...rarely will many I know..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Allianz Football League Division 2 round 3
Derry v Cork, Owenbeg, 1pm - Derry should prevail at home Derry 1-12 Cork 0-10
Galway v Offaly, Pearse Stadium, 2pm - Galway will beat a too conservative Offaly - Galway 3-15 Offaly 0-08 (sounds very harsh I know, and I hope Ime wrong, Offaly need to to start attacking teams as opposed to allowing them come onto them - we have the forwards to be registering more than 7 points per game - most teams chief free taker are racking up those type of tallies on his own))
Meath v Down, Pairc Tailteann, 2pm - a draw very possible with both teams not in top form - Meath 2-08 Down 1-11
Roscommon v Clare, Dr Hyde Park, 2pm - Clare going very well, wont fear Roscommon, Roscommon should win, but I am going for Clare here Roscommon 1-13 Clare 2-11

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Great to see so many offaly lads starting tonight in the siggerson final. These players should be forming the back bone of the side for the next 10 years. To my mind we have one forward j bryant, a half forward c donoghue, a half back r egan and a full back c donnelly who all played at the thick end of the competition this year. I’m sure there are others, look forward to see how these lads hold up when the sod gets firmer in the coming months

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:10 pm Great to see so many offaly lads starting tonight in the siggerson final. These players should be forming the back bone of the side for the next 10 years. To my mind we have one forward j bryant, a half forward c donoghue, a half back r egan and a full back c donnelly who all played at the thick end of the competition this year. I’m sure there are others, look forward to see how these lads hold up when the sod gets firmer in the coming months
Have teams been announced for game this evening?
Doon exile....

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Check the42.ie they have a match report with all the players used

Cathal flynn had a good game for athlone too in the trench cup too