Offaly v Wexford Deferred

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Treasurer
All Star

Offaly v Wexford Deferred

Post by Treasurer »

Ah lads, this is getting ridiculous. Football gone back to the 2nd of July as a double header with Leinster hurling final. Wexford will have a massive crowd there.

And if our minor hurlers win their semi final does this mean they've lost their place there or will they play three games?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Shag this for a game of darts anyway. I had the flights booked for that one already - this is getting to be a pain in the head now.

Also the football qualifiers were due to be played that weekend - this means the losers will be horsed into a qualifier six days later against a team that's just won a game. They won't give 13 days, because round three is due that week. Anyway what's the point - there's no way they'll delay Cavan vs Kildare that long?

Also our minor hurlers, if they get by Carlow, get fecked off to play the Leinster final in Portlaoise or somewhere - that's not fair on our guys and would be savage unfair to Carlow, it'd mean the world to them.

Seriously - is anyone looking after our interests when these decisions are being taken?

All because of bitter bitter Syl and his people. I hope their sponsors kick them to the kerb over wasting money on this bullshit.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

Has this been confirmed? It ridiculous! Messing the players (and supporters) around like that!

Granted that we wouldn't have got much neutral support from the Dubs anyway for this game, the opportunity for a double header was next weekend with both Offaly and Wexford semi's on toghther. Looks like we're going to have to win everything the hard way.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I thought Kildare claimed they wouldn't hold up the championship over this issue! :x

Treasurer
All Star

Today's Times...

Post by Treasurer »

Leinster Council forced to stage a triple-bill

Seán Moran

The Leinster Council have announced they have again had to postpone the provincial football semi-final between Offaly and Wexford in response to the uncertainty concerning the Kildare-Offaly dispute, which is to be heard by the Disputes Resolution Authority (DRA) this week.

The fixture, which was due to be played this weekend, had been put back to form a double bill with the Dublin-Laois semi-final on June 25th, but it has been deferred a further week and the semi-final, regardless of whether it's Kildare or Offaly who progress, will be played as part of a triple-bill at Croke Park on the day of the Leinster hurling finals.

This is a rare departure for the province. It's 15 years since the Leinster Council were forced to stage a football match on the same bill as the hurling finals.

In 1991, Meath and Wicklow replayed on the same afternoon as the Dublin-Kilkenny provincial hurling final. The championship was running well behind schedule due to the four-match Dublin-Meath preliminary-round saga.

This decision means Dublin and Laois will be a stand-alone fixture on Sunday week. This is good news for armchair followers who would otherwise have been denied television coverage of the match, as had the double bill gone ahead it was scheduled to clash with the Munster hurling final.

In those circumstances, RTÉ would have broadcast either Wexford-Offaly or - more probably - the Armagh-Fermanagh replay as the early match. Instead, Laois and Dublin will throw in at 2pm and be televised in tandem with the Cork-Tipperary match from Thurles.

"We feel we must revert to a single semi-final," said Leinster secretary Michael Delaney. "There isn't enough time remaining to wait any longer before proceeding with match arrangements. We have to get tickets out and they're on the system waiting to be printed. The DRA won't be meeting until later this week and nobody knows what the outcome of that will be."

Earlier, it was confirmed the All-Ireland first-round qualifier between Cavan and whoever is deemed to have lost between Kildare and Offaly has been postponed pending clarification on the controversial six replacements made by Offaly during the Leinster quarter-final of two weeks ago.

It is equally unclear what the scope of the DRA decision will be: whether, if it finds in favour of Kildare, will it order a rematch or even forfeiture?

Should a rematch be required, it will be played this coming Sunday in Portlaoise.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

This is complete bollocks. It's stuff like this that gives Dessie Farrell a mandate. What is the position of the Offaly County Board on this.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Treasurer
All Star

More of the same...

Post by Treasurer »

The Indo...

Offaly may face Sunday replay as Leinster postpone semi-final

KILDARE and Offaly have been put on notice that if the Disputes Resolution Authority rule in favour of a re-fixture of the controversial Leinster football quarter-final next Thursday night the game will go ahead in Portlaoise next Sunday.

The Leinster Council also decided last night to put the Wexford v Kildare/Offaly football semi-final back by a week to Sunday, July 2 when it will be played as part of the doubleheader with the Kilkenny v Wexford Leinster hurling final. That leaves the Dublin v Laois football semi-final as a stand-alone fixture on Sunday week. It will have a 2.0 throw-in which is good news for TV fans as it can now be shown 'live'.

It was due to be played as the second fixture after the Wexford v Offaly/Kildare semi-final and as TV coverage had already been arranged for the Munster hurling final at 4.0, the Dublin-Laois game would not have been shown 'live'.

Wexford are the big winners from the new arrangements as both their hurlers and footballers will be playing in Croke Park on July 2.

As the row over Offaly's use of subs in the quarter-final clash heads into its third week, the Disputes Resolution Authority will meet on Thursday night to consider Kildare's request that the decision of the Central Appeals Committee, awarding the game to Offaly, be overturned.

Kildare are seeking a re-fixture and are also asking for a clarification on the 'blood' sub rule which is at the heart of the dispute.

Kildare lodged their case with the DRA on Friday. The CAC will be invited to respond, leaving the DRA clear to consider the matter in full on Thursday. However, it's by no means certain that the DRA will make a decision that night. Since this is an extremely complicated case, it may require a second session.

The GAA moved yesterday to ease the pressure on the fixtures' schedule by putting the Kildare/Offaly v Cavan All-Ireland qualifier tie back to Saturday week.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Kildare are seeking a re-fixture and are also asking for a clarification on the 'blood' sub rule which is at the heart of the dispute.
It took Kildare long enough to come out and say what they want.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Hopefully our minor hurlers will be there for us to support in the first game.

Hocker
All Star

Kildare.....

Post by Hocker »

Fucking shower of cunts!

The Biff
All Star

Lily Shites

Post by The Biff »

Feck the Kildare Co. Board anyway from a height.

I dont like the fact that a venue and start-time have been "pencilled" in already for a possible re-fixture. We can only hope to God that the DRA throw Kildare out quicker than lager turns to pi$$.

I really feel like bringing this up with my "local" GAA Club in Kildare. Messing like this would almost make me reconsider the help that I give at the moment, except that I wont see my own son lose out thus.

p.s. If any Wexford or Cavan Football fans are reading this, can we apologise for this unforeseen delay which is due to circumstances beyond our control. You know who to blame. :twisted:

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I have just booked that weekend flying home, at the cost of another €200. (I was offered €12 refund on the 25th weekend - if anyone wants to use it now, they can borrow my passport for the trip!!) Hopefully the hurling game will go on on Saturday as scheduled as well.

If not someone's going to get wrath. Wrath, I tell you.

Last edited by Lone Shark on Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hocker
All Star

Re: lone shark...

Post by Hocker »

I have just booked that weekend flying home, at the cost of another €200.
Good thing you earn alot of £ then!! :D
You'll get alot of plaudits at the end of the campaign & possibly Official supporter of the year if u keep going the way you're going, think back to a couple of years back when mad mac was flying to and from Finland & Germany for Offaly training & matches and all the thanks he got for that!! :roll:

Bord na Mona man
All Star

You'll get alot of plaudits at the end of the campaign & possibly Official supporter of the year
Whatever happened to Offaly's celebrity fan Ray Larkin?
He used to be a master of getting himself on television, with the hat that had a parrot drinking guinness perched on top.
Has he abandoned ship now that we're not as successful, or is he still on the go?

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Is he the lad with the grey hair and mustache? Wears a cowboy hat with Loads of Wooly bands and badges and stuff? About 55 I'd say?

If so, he's still on the go. I was walking down the street in Kilkenny and he leaned out the passenger side window of a taxi and said 'Shockin' bad Offaly team', as the taxi 'sped' away. :)