Offaly Hurling Championships 2015

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling Championships 2015

Post by SearingDrive »

kingscounty wrote:Great info there Poth and Searing .
You're welcome, I forgot our neighbours Killoughey in the previous post. POTH filled in the blanks about Edenderry, they contested a semi final in their Senior days, I think! Interesting post war effect in Clara, re the emergence of football there, neutrality paid off!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

They were, and they beat Drumcullen in their first year at Senior (2004) and went on to reach the quarter-final that year where they were beaten by Kilcormac.
Mush wrote:Hi lads, wasn't Clara senior after winning intermediate championship in 2003
They did too. Edenderry last reached the semi-final in 1956 (the reward for that win over Birr) where they were beaten by Coolderry.
Searing Drive wrote:You're welcome, I forgot our neighbours Killoughey in the previous post. POTH filled in the blanks about Edenderry, they contested a semi final in their Senior days, I think! Interesting post war effect in Clara, re the emergence of football there, neutrality paid off!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

It's the 1st Sept and to date there hasn't been one championship match to even remotely get excited about. That's a bit of a joke. I feel, as I'm sure others do too that the championship needs a major restructure to stir a bit of excitement and in turn have club teams in top gear all year which might help the new county management to unearth some potential county players. Anyway, I've come up with this proposal and please feel free to comment if it's ridiculous or not:

We have 12 senior teams:
For the 1st Round (played in April before Leinster round robin kicks off)
Draw the 6 top seeded teams against the other 6.

Example: KK v Shinrone
Coolderry v kinnitty
St Rynaghs v Brosna Gaels
Birr v Shamrocks
Belmont v Tullamore
Seir Keiran v Ballinamere

So, after the first round we're going to have to wait til early July until next game. The 6 winners from 1st round are drawn into 2 groups of 3 and the 6 losers are drawn into 2 groups of 3.

Example:
Winner Group 1
Coolderry
St Rynaghs
Seir Keiran

Winner Group 2
KK
Birr
Tullamore

Loser Group 1
Kinnitty
Shinrone
Shamrocks

Loser Group 2
Belmont
Ballinamere
Brosna Gaels

Each team has two more championship games to play. The top team in Winner group 1 and Winner group 2 goes straight into semi final. The second placed team in Winner group 1 and Winner group 2 gets drawn against top team in Loser group 1 and group 2 in the Q/finals and winners meet the two top teams from winner groups.

Example q/f:
St Rynaghs v Belmont
Birr v Shinrone

S/f
Kk v
Coolderry v

Bottom team in loser group 1 and 2 go into relegation playoff.

suckindiesel
Senior

Post by suckindiesel »

lads if you want a senior championship with every game counting, cut out the bullshite games and bite the bullet and go down the laois route. since we did that we have had some excellent championships with many hum-dingers, because every single game has a significance.

the standard of hurling in offaly does not warrant 12 teams...reduce it down to 8, and I guarantee you the offaly senior championship would be compelling viewing....tinkering about with a 12 team format is just a joke, the lame duck teams will remain lame ducks no matter how you tweak it.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I don’t agree there hasn’t been a match to get excited about. If your club is a Senior club then there’s a good chance there’s been one, or maybe two, matches to get excited about.

Kilcormac v Birr drew probably the biggest crowd so far. It probably was the best contest so far too, and the Kilcormac supporters showed their appreciation for their team after the final whistle, which is not insignificant.

Even pre-match, Shinrone v Kinnitty was going to see the losers fail to reach the quarter-finals, and that’s how it turned out.

Kinnitty v Coolderry is never insignificant. Period.

And there are matches which would have been significant much moreso for one team than the other. Belmont v Rynagh’s was one of those, and it led to traffic queues in Banagher and a big crowd. That the match itself was a disappointment doesn’t change the fact that it was Belmont’s All-Ireland.

The three matches where Tullamore, Ballinamere and Belmont faced each other were ‘eliminators’ as the team who lost two of those were not going to go through. Ballinamere v Shamrocks was a knockout match too, though Shamrocks’ change of management fecked their belief.

Rynagh’s v Clareen is usually doughty but Clareen’s management upheaval would have rendered that tie less significant this year.

Thing is, you can only get knocked out once, and even if there was a straight knockout championship there wouldn’t be any more classic matches. There will be four quarter-finals next weekend – two of them have considerable favourites (Kilcormac and Coolderry), Rynagh’s will be warm favourites to beat Shinrone, while Birr v Clareen is the only one of four quarter-finals which is to tight to call at this stage. Previously, Shinrone v Kinnitty was an 1/8th-final, and in retrospect so was Tullamore v Ballinamere. Shamrocks had too much to do after losing to Ballinamere while Brosna Gaels were victims of a lobsided draw and didn’t even have the buzz of a match against local opposition (Belmont, Shamrocks or Ballinamere).

The other thing is, many hurlers go abroad during the summer on temporary sanctions. In the case of many rural clubs (and a few more urban ones too) their loss, however temporary, would be huge. If a more compact championship format was in place their club would be more likely to be eliminated from the championship before they’d be home.
allstar2010 wrote:It's the 1st Sept and to date there hasn't been one championship match to even remotely get excited about. That's a bit of a joke. I feel, as I'm sure others do too that the championship needs a major restructure to stir a bit of excitement and in turn have club teams in top gear all year which might help the new county management to unearth some potential county players. Anyway, I've come up with this proposal and please feel free to comment if it's ridiculous or not:

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Would I be right in saying there was 60 matches in the group stages? Shinrone v Kinnitty and probably Tullamore v Ballinamere only games that made a difference to the q/final pairings. I suppose my point is that there is 3 teams in each group that know that they'll be in the q/f without really trying and only start doing the hard work from mid July on.

Birr v Kk - only significant because kk were equalling unbeaten record.
Rynaghs v Belmont - hardly got the heart racing, might have done if it was a knock out.

I don't think champ should be reduced to 8, weaker teams deserve to have a go at senior. Whoever wins intermed, both teams seem to be young enough so it's important that these lads can test themselves against the best.

POTH, you make point about lads going abroad, does that mean we shouldn't play any matches over the summer at all. We need a more competitive championship. Less matches more quality.

Shamrocks Brosna Gaels prob knew they were in relegation since may, why did they need 3 or 4 more matches to confirm this?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

30 matches in the group stages.

I'd prefer to see 12 Senior clubs next year too.

As for the students going abroad, no I don't think no matches should be played during the summer. It is one of the things to be considered though, something Kevin Egan has thrashed when considering how some players play three matches weekly while others play once a fortnoght on his Offaly Independent column.

Rynagh's ve Belmont mightn't have thrilled a neutral, but it still meant something to the two clubs involved, particularly Belmont. Nothing like the prospect of leaving a neighbour with a bloody nose (metaphorically, of course!).

Not sure on the 'less matches, more quality' point. There will still be the same number of knockout matches. Galway opened with two knockout rounds for the last two years and the consensus is one of relief that they returned to a full round-robin format this year.

Finally, I know every format is going to have advantages and disadvantages, but three teams in a group leaves one team idle during each round, which is not ideal. So, with matches played fortnightly (necessary owing the dual clubs, and that's not going to change) leaves eight teams going four weeks without a match at some stage. It would also be possible to go six weeks without a match and then face a semi-final cold.
allstar2010 wrote:Would I be right in saying there was 60 matches in the group stages? Shinrone v Kinnitty and probably Tullamore v Ballinamere only games that made a difference to the q/final pairings. I suppose my point is that there is 3 teams in each group that know that they'll be in the q/f without really trying and only start doing the hard work from mid July on.

Birr v Kk - only significant because kk were equalling unbeaten record.
Rynaghs v Belmont - hardly got the heart racing, might have done if it was a knock out.

I don't think champ should be reduced to 8, weaker teams deserve to have a go at senior. Whoever wins intermed, both teams seem to be young enough so it's important that these lads can test themselves against the best.

POTH, you make point about lads going abroad, does that mean we shouldn't play any matches over the summer at all. We need a more competitive championship. Less matches more quality.

Shamrocks Brosna Gaels prob knew they were in relegation since may, why did they need 3 or 4 more matches to confirm this?

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

30 matches, yes, jeez where was I going with 60. :)

For me, there is too many meaningless matches played at league pace. I only went to one of my clubs matches so far because I knew they'd reach q/f handy enough and I knew there would be nothing to read into the group matches of where they're at. Plus the fact it was a struggle to reach most matches with work and location!!

Do you think 4 coming out of group of 6 is fine. Should they go back to 3 groups of 4? I don't know but I'd like to see some change.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

allstar2010 wrote:30 matches, yes, jeez where was I going with 60. :)

For me, there is too many meaningless matches played at league pace. I only went to one of my clubs matches so far because I knew they'd reach q/f handy enough and I knew there would be nothing to read into the group matches of where they're at. Plus the fact it was a struggle to reach most matches with work and location!!

Do you think 4 coming out of group of 6 is fine. Should they go back to 3 groups of 4? I don't know but I'd like to see some change.
There are 2 groups of 6 teams, 4 qualify for the q/finals, and 4 play off for relegation, if I am correct. My modest proposal would have 3 teams qualifying from each group, the top 2 automatic semi finalists, one from each group. The remaining four teams play in the quarter finals. Only the bottom 2 teams contest a relegation match.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Saturday 12-09-2015

Relegation Semi Final: (Venue: Kinnitty)
Kinnitty V Shamrock
Time: 5.00 PM (E.T. Available)

Quarter Final (Venue: O Connor Park, Tullamore)

Coolderry Vs Tullamore
Time: 4 00 PM (E.T. Available) ,

ST RYNAGH'S HURLING CLUB V SHINRONE
Time: 5 30 PM (E.T. Available) ,

Sunday 13-0-2015

Relegation Semi Final: ( (E.T. Available) , Venue: Clara)
BALLINAMERE V BROSNA GALES
Time: 12 00 PM

Quarter Final (Venue: St, Brendans Park, Birr)

BELMONT GAA V KILCORMAC-KILLOUGHEY
Time: 12 00 PM (E.T. Available)

SEIR KIERAN V BIRR
Time: 1 30 PM (E.T. Available) ,
Referee: TBC

Intermadiate Hurling Final (Venue: O Connor Park, Tullamore)

CLODIAGH GAELS V LUSMAGH GAA
Time: 5 15 PM
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Come on the Gaels!!

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

[quote="Toxicity234"]Saturday 12-09-2015

Relegation Semi Final: (Venue: Killurin)
Kinnitty V Shamrock
Time: 2 00 PM (E.T. Available)

Quarter Final (Venue: O Connor Park, Tullamore)

Coolderry Vs Tullamore
Time: 4 00 PM (E.T. Available) ,

ST RYNAGH'S HURLING CLUB V SHINRONE
Time: 5 30 PM (E.T. Available) ,

Sunday 13-0-2015

Relegation Semi Final: ( (E.T. Available) , Venue: Clara)
BALLINAMERE V BROSNA GALES
Time: 12 00 PM

Quarter Final (Venue: St, Brendans Park, Birr)

BELMONT GAA V KILCORMAC-KILLOUGHEY
Time: 12 00 PM (E.T. Available)

SEIR KIERAN V BIRR
Time: 1 30 PM (E.T. Available) ,
Referee: TBC

Intermadiate Hurling Final (Venue: O Connor Park, Tullamore)

CLODIAGH GAELS V LUSMAGH GAA
Time: 5 15 pm
The JHC. Final is listed for OCP at 3.45 pm Why the late throw in?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

That would be part of the double header, with the IHC final throwing in at 5.15pm.

The Lusmagh lads will be checking out Sunday's Banagher Horse Fair earlier in the day. Suitably refuelled and refreshed, thoughts will later turn to the hurling, and hence the later throw-in time.
SearingDrive wrote:The JHC. Final is listed for OCP at 3.45 pm Why the late throw in?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:That would be part of the double header, with the IHC final throwing in at 5.15pm.

The Lusmagh lads will be checking out Sunday's Banagher Horse Fair earlier in the day. Suitably refuelled and refreshed, thoughts will later turn to the hurling, and hence the later throw-in time.
SearingDrive wrote:The JHC. Final is listed for OCP at 3.45 pm Why the late throw in?
I hope the games finish in daylight with the late throw ins. Games should start at 2pm and 3.30pm, despite the equine attractions in Banagher!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Intermediate Hurling Final, O'Connor Park, Sunday 13th Septe

Rarely can two clubs meet in a County Final, in any county, in any grade, who have never really encountered each other before, but that’s how it is for Lusmagh and Clodiagh Gaels. Because last year’s IHC meeting of Lusmagh and Killurin was probably the only time these sides met on a hurling field – and that’s of no relevance at all.

Clodiagh Gaels, in fairness to them, have been a revelation this year, and the coming together has demonstrated what good organisation can bring to a club. Everything else follows (in no particular order), the results, the spirit, the coming together of the community. Let’s face it. When did the western side of Killeigh parish last have an opportunity to put out the flags before? And no parish should be so starved of final appearances.

I’ll be honest, I haven’t seen them hurl, but from media reports of their matches I gather the following –
- They bring with them a sizeable and vocal support;
- They play with a sweeper (very 2015, that);
- They were twice on the verge of defeat against Drumcullen and recovered well

A young team, Clodiagh Gaels, with Peter Walsh, Clint Horan, David Buckley and Liam Langton all winning an U16 ‘A’ two years ago. Something Lusmagh have never done, and the same year the Reds lost a Minor ‘B’ Final they should have won. Meanwhile Daryl Kilroe, Tom Brady, Jimmy Keenaghan, Michael Monaghan, Dwayne Dunne, Chris Keenaghan and Ned Casey were on the Killurin team that won the 2008 Junior Final. From the Killeigh side of the Clodiagh River, only goalkeeper Ger McDonald, Kevin Egan, Killian O’Brien, Nigel Cunningham and Pádraic Horan survive from a Junior semi-final reached four years ago.

Dwayne Dunne has been in sparking form. So much so that one local paper preview noted that Lusmagh would need to prevent the Gaels’ top scorer hitting ten points! How about that, Alan Kelly?

I have seen most of Lusmagh’s matches this year. They have blown hot and cold, but have been no less enjoyable to watch for that. Poor against Drumcullen though, that was probably the performance and the result that focussed minds. Stylish, in the best Offaly and Lusmagh traditions. And benefited from the Cúchulainn Gaels project that brought them to within an ace of an U21 title in July.

Probably the most remarkable thing about this Lusmagh team is that it has had to be completely rebuilt since the Reds last won the Intermediate championship three years ago. Emigration and retirements meant the Reds are denied the services of no less than 11 starters from that 2012 winning team. That’s a massive turnover for the best of intercounty sides, never mind a parish of 500 souls.

The semi-final against Kilcormac-Killoughey was a huge test of Lusmagh’s character, all the moreso when tipping point seemed imminent when behind 0-1 to 1-5. The nature of the performance has left me thinking we have generally been unkind to this young team – that chances are most of them would have forced their way onto the Intermediate team in any event. That said, it would be great to be able to call on the services of Rory Quinlan, David Kelly and Eoin Kelly, each of whom are abroad and will be anxiously watching the phone on Sunday (or Monday morning) for news of the Final.

O’Connor Park is no great (dis)advantage to either finalist. Despite it being ‘town’ for Gaels, they would rarely have hurled there. And the vastness of the venue is something both teams will have to deal with.

There has been a certain parallel in recent form. Both beat Ballyskenagh-Killavilla by scoring 20+ points but conceded goals. Both beat Crinkill comfortable while scoring handsomely. Clodiagh Gaels beat Drumcullen though, and Lusmagh didn't.

It will be a great game.