Offaly v Kilkenny

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Offaly v Kilkenny

Post by bracknaghboy »

kinnittyman wrote:20 point win for Clare tonight in Killaloe. Clare 3-23 Offaly 0-12.

This is not looking promising lads. I wasn't at it by the way in case anyone is looking for a report.
It will be interesting to see how both teams lined out. As I've said in a previous thread I think the outlook in 4 weeks time is bleak, possibly very bleak, possibly even 2005 bleak. If Kilkenny get even close to the ferocity shown in Thurles last weekend then we are in for it big time. I honestly think the messing around with the sweeper has made things worse this year. The team are unsure of themselves and this playing extra men behind the ball with the wind is just daft.
Can anyone offer us any genuine hope?

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

taking from the boards.ie Clare Gaa
clare beat offaly by 3-23 to 0-12 points in a challenge match in killaloe for the opening of a new stand at the smith o briens grounds tonight

much the same as last week in quilty whole sale changes at half time and all through the 2nd half

the main talking points tonight were colin ryan went off injured at half time with a wrist injury , tony kelly took over the frees for the second half and by all accounts he has been practicing the "nash" 21 meter free as he landed one for himself in the second half
Look like no Shefflin for the Offaly game
BREAKING

Henry Shefflin confirmed to have a Stress Fracture Injury.
http://gaabanter.ie/henry-shefflin-conf ... ure-weeks/
“Common sense is not so common.”

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

King Henry has suffered a stress fracture to his foot so it looks like he is unavailable but i dont think it really matters anymore. Henry had an awful game at the weekend and it didnt affect kilkenny so they are well prepared for life after the King

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Just there before me Tox!!

spacetrap
Junior C

Post by spacetrap »

the Offaly team that played against Clare in the recent challenge is as follows.

James Dempsey,Niall Wynn, Rory Hannify, Sean Og Lyons, Barry Harding, Ger Healion, Cathal Parlon, Derek Morkham(2),Kevin Connelly,Joe Bergin(1), Danie Currams, Peter Geraghty(2), Shane Dooley(2), Brian Carroll(4), Tommy Geraghty. Subs Sean ryan,Eoin Ryan, Conor Doughan, James Rigney(1).

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Waterford beat us by 27 points tonight in a challenge according to Twitter.

The players confidence must be on the floor. They don't go out to ship beatings like this and you'd have to feel for them.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I can't wait for Sid's review at the end of the year...it's almost impossible to find 1 positive from his time in charge!! I'm sure the hurlers are just looking forward to getting the year over at this stage without getting too many more 20 pt beatings along the way!!
I think the players need to have a good long hard look at themselves this year too because they've shown that their not up to county standard, like they might be good club hurlers in Offaly but their not county material!! Like seriously, how many of them would make a Kilkenny, tipp, Clare or Galway team...I'd say most would struggle to make the panel of these counties B teams never mind starting 15!!
As a county with either get serious about competing & put the proper structures in place to build a foundation to be successful or we accept that we are at the level that we should be at & find ourselves competing against Laois, Carlow & Antrim every year rather than trying to claims to still be a top hurling county!!

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

James Dempsey,Niall Wynn, Rory Hannify, Sean Og Lyons, Barry Harding, Ger Healion, Cathal Parlon, Derek Morkham(2),Kevin Connelly,Joe Bergin(1), Danie Currams, Peter Geraghty(2), Shane Dooley(2), Brian Carroll(4), Tommy Geraghty. Subs Sean ryan,Eoin Ryan, Conor Doughan, James Rigney(1).

That was the team that play Clare.

Waterford 2-17- Offaly 0-06 half time
6-23 to 0-14 ft

Offaly: J Dempsey; N Wynne, G Healion, D Mooney; M Egan, D Morkan, C Parlon; K Connolly, S Ryan; Ciaran Slevin, S Dooley, P Geraghty; B Carroll, J Bergin, E Ryan. Subs: Conor Slevin, C McDonald, S Óg Lyons, C Doughan, C Coughlan, T Geraghty, E Nolan, B Harding.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=215985

hammering after hammering, Getting worse and worse. Whelehan and his management team are a disaster. Whelehan OUT NOW.
Waterford 6-24 Offaly 0-15

Waterford romped to a facile victory over a poor Offaly outfit in this senior hurling challenge at the St Molleran’s ground in Carrickbeg today. Not only did they score 30 times but they also hit 22 wides, compared with Offaly’s fifteen scores and eight wides (all of the latter struck in the second half).

Waterford lined out with Liam Lawlor at fullback (in front of Stephen O’Keeffe) with Noel Connors and Barry Coughlan in the corners. Kevin Moran was at centre back with Jamie Nagle and Tadhg Bourke on the wings. Brick Walsh and Eddie Barrett were at midfield. Pauric Mahony was on the forty with Gavin O’Brien and Austin Gleeson on either side while Shane Walsh was at full with Brian O’Sullivan and surprise selection (to me, anyway) Colin Dunford of Colligan in the corners.

It was a fine day but a strong blustery wind was blowing towards the town goal and assisted Waterford in the first half. There were no indications in the early stages of how the game was to eventually turn out. Offaly started confidently enough, working the ball out of defence against the wind with some slick short-passing moves. However, once Brick took over in midfield with the assistance of the hard-working Eddie Barrett and with Jamie Nagle and Tadhg Bourke doing well at wing back, Waterford assumed almost total territorial dominance. They had some early difficulties with the wind but once they got their eye in the scores began to flow, with Offaly’s few replies mainly coming from frees.

The first goal was a typical Brian O’Sullivan effort, picking up a good low ball into the corner and then skinning his marker to finish emphatically. Colin Dunford notched the second, also finishing well after being set up by Shane Walsh, who had an excellent first half. Half time score Waterford 2-16 Offaly 0-6.

Waterford started the second half with the same fifteen, and kept up the pressure with Colin Dunford notching a good second goal. Waterford then rang the changes with a whole slew of substitutions (I counted 13 in all but there may have been more). These included, unexpectedly, Jake Dillon but he did not last long before himself being substituted (I was told afterwards this was only precautionary).

Although Offaly had wind assistance it took them 15 minutes before getting their first score of the second half while Waterford piled on the pressure, including two goals from Seamus Prendergast (who replaced Shane Walsh) and one from Killian Fitzgerald (I think, although someone else thought it was Ryan Donnelly – he was wearing no. 22).

Despite all the substitutions, Waterford probably played better in the second half as, playing against the strong wind they had to be more constructive and precise in their play. They put together a lot of good movements and regularly tore the Offaly rearguard apart, but ten second half wides shooting into the wind kept the margin of victory down.

Such was the poor calibre of the opposition and the open nature of the play that this game will have been of little use as championship preparation. However, the game did show that, even with several players injured, Waterford still have a strong panel, with their domination of this game continuing even after most of the starting fifteen had been substituted.

For Waterford, Liam Lawlor, in his first game back, had his problems against big Joe Bergin. Barry Coughlan played the whole game and did well. Paudie Prendergast replaced Noel Connors at corner back in the second half. It was good to see him finally being given some game time and, as usual, he gave a polished performance. Ian O’Regan also replaced Stephen O’Keeffe in the second half.

Tadhg Bourke was very impressive in his first outing in the half back line (following up on what I believe was an excellent performance at centre back with UCC in the Cork senior championship on Saturday – a game in which DJ Foran, Shane Roche and Mark O’Brien also played). In the second half he and Kevin Moran were replaced by Richie Foley and Shane Fives.
Brick and Eddie Barrett were replaced by Shane O’Sullivan and Shane McNulty who has strengthened up a lot and gave some excellent ball into the forwards. Barrett came on again to replace Jake Dillon.

Gavin O’Brien had a good first half on the wing, notching four points, but Austin Gleeson didn’t seem to have much impact. They (and Pauric Mahony, who played well) were replaced by Jake Dillon, Tomás Connors and (I think) Killian Fitzgerald. Colin Dunford appears to have put on a bit of extra muscle but has retained his lightning speed and was going past Offaly defenders as if they weren’t there. He finished with 2-2. He was replaced by Stephen Roche, with Seamus Prendergast (who looked very sharp) coming on for Shane Walsh and Brian O’Halloran replacing Brian O’Sullivan. It was good to have O’Halloran back and he played to good effect. I was told later on that Donie Breathnach was supposed to have played but I didn’t notice this.

Missing on the day (apart from long-term injuries Stephen Daniels and Philip O’Mahony) were Darragh Fives, Stephen Molumphy, Jamie Barron, Ray Barry and Maurice Shanahan. The general view after the game was that Fives, Molumphy and Barry all have a good chance of being ready for the Cork game but that the immediate outlook for Barron and Shanahan was not as positive.

Waterford play Tipperary behind closed doors in Thurles next Tuesday. This is likely to be a more serious test and it is likely that the starting line-up here will be more along championship lines.

Waterford scorers: Colin Dunford (2-2); Seamus Prendergast (2-1); Pauric Mahony (0-6, five frees); Brian O’Sullivan and Killian Fitzgerald (?) (1-1 each); Gavin O’Brien (0-4); Jamie Nagle, Eddie Barrett and Shane Walsh (0-2 each); Tadhg Bourke, Austin Gleeson and Jake Dillon (0-1 each).
Match report taking from the Waterford site again
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Mon May 12, 2014 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Toxicity234 wrote:
hammering after hammering, Getting worse and worse. Whelehan and his management team are a disaster. Whelehan OUT NOW.
I fully agree. Nothing against Brian Whelan he doesn't have any management skills. Great players do not always make good managers.

Offaly county board need to invest in an outside man, but who would want this poison chalice at the moment.

Danny Owens might just be the best choice at the moment.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Offaly invariably lose these post league challenge matches. 9 times out of 10, or maybe even 19 times out of 20.

However it's concerning that we've conceded 9 goals and scored 0 in the two recent games.
Also, we're hitting half the amount of scores of our opponents. When you think of the open manner these games are typically played at.
Donal Og Cusack was on the radio talking about Kilkenny having to modify their game to be more possession conscious in light of Clare's breakthrough and style of play. Jesus, what would he make of Offaly - the high kings of turnover hurling this last few years!

The only consolation is that Offaly have traditionally been a one-off performance team. The need for momentum has never been a feature of Offaly hurling teams. One dire performance can be followed by a good one. It'll need to be a manic performance in Nowlan Park.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

hate saying this but i told ye whelahan was the wrong appointment .
he had failed at club level in galway and laois .he had no form as a manager .
they camros lads always said he was a useless manager and if he had a good team he would destroy them ,look what happened to camross when they got rid of whelahan they won the laois county final .
should that alone not have stopped the offaly county board from appointing him ?
yes b whelahan was a great player one of the best we ever had not the best ,m hannamy was out greatest hurlers in my opinion.
should that excuse him when he does not preform as manager ?????
it seem to me that ALL THE LOCAL SPORTS REPORTERS ARE IN AWE OF HIM as are former players . where is dathie or michael duigan now? they were well able to dig at ollie baker .
whelahan lost the players and supporters after the laois game he NEEDS TO GO OR BE PUSHED now before he does even more harm .
this year is a gone kilkenny will hammers us as will whoever we meet in the back door . our only real win for 2015 will be kerry .
imagine if d owens and j dunne had got the job instead of whelahan troy and coughlan and the results were as bad . the sports reporters and former players would be relentless in their critism .
what sickens me is to see guys come onto the panel in may when good guys that did all the winter training were not give any real chance,
whelahan will go but like david moyes it a matter of when .
then we need to find someone who can do the job and someone that we can afford . no point talking bullshite about d o cusack or d o grady or j allen or e brennan they know even less about offaly hurling that b whelahan and care less .what we need is someone that knows the players and can nurse this wreck to better health .
we need to stop the rot wexford have done it with l dunne .but we are is in free fall.
the player deserve better ,
i read an article on the independent during where whelahan was blaming injuries lack of resouces poor training facilities for such a poor league . i was shocked because it reminded me of babs keating every thing was wrong and he was washing him hands of any blame by getting all his excuses in early , he also said in that article that he didnt know things were as bad untill he became manager .
IS THAT NOT BECAUSE THING HAVE GOT MUCH WORSE BECAUSE HE IS SUCH A POOR MANAGER

whelahan most go but so should p boland he over saw this mess

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Dubs to face Offaly in SH challenge
12 May 2014

Dublin and Offaly will continue their preparations for the Leinster SHC when they meet in a challenge match in south Co. Dublin next Sunday.

The game will mark the official opening of Ballyboden St. Enda's new hurling skills wall. The opening, which will be performed by GAA president Liam O'Neill, will take place at 3pm and will be followed by an U21 ladies football challenge between Dublin and Louth, and the SH challenge between Dublin and Offaly at 7pm.

Offaly endured a torrid weekend on the challenge match circuit, first losing to All-Ireland champions Clare by 21 points in Killaloe on Friday evening and then to Waterford by 27 points yesterday at the St. Molleran's grounds. But Sunday's game provides them with an opportunity to get their act together before they face Kilkenny in the Leinster SHC on June 7.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Looks like the team have bailed out also, collapse against Antrim in the play off was the start.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

I think you're right, the players seem to have bailed out. It's sad to see. 20pt defeat on fri and then 27pt defeat on Sunday, what a disgrace. This management team is a farce, team is in no shape whatsoever. I think young Wynne at corner back is the only player in the same position for the last few matches. We're less than 4weeks away from 1st round and I don't think anyone would be able to pick what the starting 15 will lineout like.

You'd have to wonder at the players attitude as well. 2 outrageous hammerings after a torrid league champaign, surely they need to look at themselves. Are they just holding out for the gear?? Is there any leaders at all in this group?? Doesn't look like it... If there was I'm sure they'd be getting together this week and saying enough is enough!! But oh no they'll be just happy enough to tip away, swap jersies with the Kilkenny boys and show them off at the next club training.

No pride. No passion. No hope.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

the results and displays seem to be getting worse as the year unfolds, first things first Sid looks to be running out of time and this year could be his last, Sid was asked by the county board to do the minor job yet end up with the senior gig Madness why no one else would go near offaly at theses times.

fair play to sid he wouldn't have it said he turn his back at the chance to train offaly when they are at their lowest in years. now the players in my opinion have to take some blame in this they are the ones that cross the white line as they say on match day, its not Whelehan's Bakers, Dooley's fault if the players don't have the pride or fight in the county jersey which they seem to not have this 6 years.

people say Danny Owens should have got the job, do you think we be much better don't think so lets remember k/k have had 8 players in with the squad so its not as if Sid is over looking the county winners the last 2 years. we have to look at our underage since 2003 last time we had a good minor side got to leinster final again kilkenny thats 11 years ago, even laois have beaten us the last 3 years in a row and its not that laois have great minor teams they have won nothing after just we are so poor.

someone said to be last week offaly hurling at nothing the same auld names are their every year no young players coming through or getting a chance, i said to him the first round of the championship in offaly was last week the best display from a hurler was Brian Carroll 3-10 so if your were a manger or your backroom team were watching for players Carrolls display sticks out, was their a young hurler that put his hand up last weekend don't think so thats alot of our problems the older hurlers are still better than the younger ones coming up. Rory Hanniffy his best days we agree are behind him yet theirs no hurler in offaly as skillfull or better than him at his best, Dooley the same he gets a lot of bad press over his fitness maybe some of it is true, but if he plays till he is 40 he will be on the team most days because theirs no one better than him or on the way up at the moment.

so lads Cody could be over us at the moment and we would still be in the same position, this has been coming down the line for a good few years now so its no shock to most whos been watching offaly hurling senior and underage this 11 years. not been big headed but i think the decline of Birr over the last few years hasn't help or Rynaghs no win since 1993 and Clareens great side of the 90's thats no disrepect to Coolderry or K/K who have fine hurling teams and have won leinsters titles but its not helping that at least 3 or 4 clubs trhat backbone offaly hurling have falling off the map.

i have seen and heard that offaly never look at north offaly, that they never get a chance thats fair enough they might have a point, but if we say the likes of Rhode,Gracefield,Killiegh,Raheen, dont field minor sides how do lads that take the minor job know whos who in north offaly, the Farrells of edenderry Sean OG and killian were on the 94,98 squads they must have had a good underage back then as finbarr Cullen also hurler in the 89 minor win over clare, lets remember Cullen played fullback in 1989 which was some doing as there was alot of good underrage hurlers in offaly back then. yes we are going to take a fair baten in nowlan park in june as Kilkenny are going to right a few wrongs in 2014 and most think the rot set in with the display again us in tullamore last year so they will be out to make sure theres no 4 goal haul this year. yes Sid could be gone after 2014 but don't be silly to think that things will be better in 2015 with most of the squad of 2014 still there with a new manger.