Offaly Vs Wexford in the Leinster U21HC

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

Offaly Vs Wexford in the Leinster U21HC

Post by Toxicity234 »

The Offaly team to play Wexford in the Leinster U21HC quarter-final has been named.

Aidan Hanrahan's team has no starters who featured in the senior game between the two counties at the weekend.

Throw in at Tullamore on Wednesday is at 7.30pm.

Offaly (U21HC v Wexford) -

1 Conor Cleary - Shinrone
2 David Magner - Ballinamere
3 Sean Coughlan - Seir Kieran
4 Brian Mulrooney - Seir Kieran
5 David King - Coolderry
6 Aidan Treacy - St Rynagh’s
7 Tom Spain - Brosna Gaels
8 Sean Kenny - St Rynagh’s
9 Shane Kinsella - Kinnitty
10 Tom Carroll - Seir Kieran
11 Adrian Hynes - Seir Kieran
12 Kevin Connolly - Coolderry Capt
13 Sean Cleary - Shinrone
14 Fergus Hannon - Ballyskenagh
15 Stephen Quirke - St Rynagh’s

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=170557

I don't think i going to make it from Dublin for 7.30.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Hurlinfan
Junior C

Re: Offaly Vs Wexford in the Leinster U21HC

Post by Hurlinfan »

What do you think are chances are tomorrow lads?

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

I think it a good team we have.
If we going to have any problems it going to be our half forward line. 3 good hurlers but not the best workers i ever seen.
For the Wexford lads we know. They good players.
Kevin Connolly Pace if we can use it (and looking at the weather it going to be hard to) could force the Wexford back into give away free's.

i can't beleive that no Birr man on the team, But i sure there a few on the subs.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

looks a strong side with a few players that have played senior in the Walsh Cup and league.
would Coolderrys Eoin Ryan be good enough for a start i don't think he is in the subs either is he hurt.

most of this side were on the minor side that were beaten by wexford in extra-time in the championship in tullamore a few years ago.

OffalySorry
Junior B

Post by OffalySorry »

Eoin Ryan is not on the panel and neither are any of the Birr players!

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

OffalySorry wrote:Eoin Ryan is not on the panel and neither are any of the Birr players!
None of the Birr Players. I heard Ryan wasn't but why are the Birr Player not playing??

I see the Wexford team has being named:
Wexford senior star Jack Guiney is named at full-forward on the Under 21 team that will face Offaly in the Leinster quarter-final at Tullamore on Wednesday evening.

Guiney scored 1-3 for the Model County in last Saturday's senior defeat by Offaly and he is joined on the Under 21 side by fellow senior panellists Willie Devereux, Matthew O'Hanlon, Mark Fanning, Diarmuid O'Keeffe and Gary Moore.

The winners of the Tullamore encounter will advance to a semi-final meeting with Kilkenny.

Wexford (U21 HC v Offaly): M. Fanning; W. Devereux, M. O'Hanlon, A. Nolan; M. Moloney, C. Goff, A. Cash; A. Nolan, D. O'Keeffe; L. Chin, M. O'Regan, G. Moore; J. Hobbs, J. Guiney, B. Carton.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Thomas Bolger is out of the country, Brendan Murphy is out hurt the rest must not be good enough for the offaly panel. :?

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

L Chin at full forward for Wexford, another of the great Wexford hurling dynasty!

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Eoin Ryan's exclusion is perplexing and cannot be purely for hurling reasons.

In addition to Brendan Murphy's injury the absence of a significant Birr contingent may be explained by the fact that perhaps Eoin Hayes, Sean T O'Connor etc are doing their Leaving Cert?

Regardless, the very best of luck to all tomorrow night.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i think Sean T.O'Connor is a bit young was minor this year.

Clint
Junior C
Club: none

Post by Clint »

Apart from Bolger,I didn't think any other Birr player impressed in the recent U-21 county final.Sean T O Connor is a good prospect but not up to this standard yet.
On the other hand,I was very impressed with Damien Egan in the same game and while he may not score alot(although he hit three points that night) he is a hard grafter and can't be far off.

I too am baffled by Eoin Ryan not making the team.Is he injured?

Looking at the Wexford lineout,this is going to be a tough ask for the Offaly boys.

keenonsport
Junior A

Post by keenonsport »

I have to say, the team doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. I think we will definitely struggle at midfield. I've watched Kinsella a number of times over the last couple of years and haven't been overly impressed. Kenny didn't play the county final but was named among the subs so I'm just going to presume he was injured. Looking at the team-sheet I just start to think of lads that have not been picked. Now I don't know individual circumstances but I'm presuming some lads have not made themselves available for selection. However, I see that Pat Camon, Michael Cleary and Jason Sampson have all been named among the substitutes and I would personally have them starting. Others that come to mind include McManus and Egan from Belmont who both had a great year for Rynaghs in the U-21. Then you have Simon Lyons and Joseph O'Connor who also impressed during the year, particularly O'Connor. St. Brendan's reached the U-21 final but I notice they don't have a single representative on the panel. I understand Thomas Bolger is in the States but I know Murphy has been playing league for Birr recently. Also, Hayes and Nolan looked good during the year and in the final. I can only presume that Eoin Ryan hasn't made himself available as he was arguably the best forward in the county at adult level last year and would probably be the first name on the team-sheet in my opinion.
Slightly negative there I know but on a more positive note the forward line does look capable of getting scores. particularly in the full-forward line but this will be dependent on getting on top further out the field and getting a decent supply of ball into them. I think I'm right in saying we brought Wexford to extra time in OCP three years ago so there wont be much between the teams. Offaly's use of the bench could be vital. Best of luck to the team anyway I hope we have more to celebrate come tomorrow night be a great boost for the county.

Clint
Junior C
Club: none

Post by Clint »

Kenny did play the co final,if its the U-21 final you mean.Simon Lyons & Joe O Connor are both doing the Leaving.

My Left Foot
Senior

Post by My Left Foot »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:L Chin at full forward for Wexford, another of the great Wexford hurling dynasty!
:lol: :lol:

I'm too old to know the u/21 players at this stage but a Coughlan from Seir Kieran at full back brings me right back to the 80's. surely a relation of Eugene ?
Best of luck to them tonight.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:L Chin at full forward for Wexford, another of the great Wexford hurling dynasty!
Lets not take-away from his footballing abilities.