Aidan Bracken Building Design Under 21 Hurling Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Sharp Eye
All Star

Re: Aidan Bracken Building Design Under 21 Hurling Champions

Post by Sharp Eye »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I know you don't have a clue but anyway. There's plenty of hurling played on our pitch. Our U14s played Drumcullen there on Friday evening. The Camogie team had a match there yesterday (Saturday) evening. There was the U21 today while tomorrow our U16s play Clareen.

Maybe if other clubs installed drainage systems at the outset, like Lusmagh did, instead of building Byzantine monuments, adults, underage, men and women would be assured of having a pitch to play home league matches, to train on and to host matches.
Sharp Eye wrote:I am sure that it must have been a great help to the pitch not having to have under 21's train on it. I still think it is better to use a pitch for training than to preserve it for matches which involve visiting teams only.
I heard that ye paid a Thousand Euro in order to take part in the Offaly Junior B (or Junior C?)Football Championship. How do ye manage to fit in all the training sessions. Do ye still do all the underage hurling training over in Coolderry.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Well townman, I'd say you are a happy man this evening.
Looks like I may have spoken in haste after your u21 game with shinrone.
Anyway I'm looking forward to next weeks final with ye. Hopefully the CB won't send us all over to ocp
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

yes they have done well to come back from the first round defeat, should be a good final theres never much between
the sides when they meet in any grade of hurling.

didn't get to see the game but hope to make the final i wonder where the final will be it would be nice if it was in ST.Brendans park
i know Rynaghs would have no fear playing it there.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Final is in Birr on Sunday evening at 7pm.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I know you don't have a clue but anyway. There's plenty of hurling played on our pitch. Our U14s played Drumcullen there on Friday evening. The Camogie team had a match there yesterday (Saturday) evening. There was the U21 today while tomorrow our U16s play Clareen.

Maybe if other clubs installed drainage systems at the outset, like Lusmagh did, instead of building Byzantine monuments, adults, underage, men and women would be assured of having a pitch to play home league matches, to train on and to host matches.
Sharp Eye wrote:I am sure that it must have been a great help to the pitch not having to have under 21's train on it. I still think it is better to use a pitch for training than to preserve it for matches which involve visiting teams only.
Credit to Lusmagh, the pitch has been in tremendous shape for if all those games have taken place over a troublesome weekend weatherwise.
What kind of drainage system have you used there, has there been much upheavel in doing so?
Also, just inregards to the matches you held there:
A) What is the underage like
B) Have Lusmagh now got their own Camoige team at Senior, if so, fair play, great to see as they produce some good players.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Thanks for enquiring. The drainage consists of a network of pipes which lead to a soakage pit underneath the carpark. This was installed when the pitch was developed in 1989/90, so there was no ‘upheaval’, as you say. Hence the need for the ‘fall’ in the ground, which is unfortunate but necessary. Damien Martin was the main contractor for the groundworks at that time. Thankfully there’s never been any problems with this drainage at any time since, particularly given the difficulties Birr encountered, having spent a considerable sum on a similar project. I’d safely say all Parishioners are justifiably proud of the pitch.

The wooden dressing rooms were acquired from either Bórd na Móna or ESB at that time, I forget which. They were intended to last five years, we got over 15 years out of them before wear-and-tear concentrated minds on developing a permanent structure which hopefully will stand for generations to come.

Underage is tough, mainly due to numbers given smaller family sizes. Still, participation levels are strong as nearly everyone participates. While there isn’t a Minor team this year, next year’s Minors reached a Féile na nGael semi-final three years ago and there are a number of talented hurlers in that group. There are U16 and U14 teams fielded this year.

The Camógs are joined with Killeigh at Senior level. Again, underage is a numbers issue, but we’ll keep the games alive anyway.

Just on playing numbers. A decade ago Drumcullen and Clareen joined at U21 level but Clareen could contribute just the one player to the team. In recent years that trend has been reversed. A lot of it is down to births, and the boy/girl ratio of those births. Swings and roundabouts.
alltheway wrote:Credit to Lusmagh, the pitch has been in tremendous shape for if all those games have taken place over a troublesome weekend weatherwise.
What kind of drainage system have you used there, has there been much upheavel in doing so?
B) Have Lusmagh now got their own Camoige team at Senior, if so, fair play, great to see as they produce some good players.

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Thanks for enquiring. The drainage consists of a network of pipes which lead to a soakage pit underneath the carpark. This was installed when the pitch was developed in 1989/90, so there was no ‘upheaval’, as you say. Hence the need for the ‘fall’ in the ground, which is unfortunate but necessary. Damien Martin was the main contractor for the groundworks at that time. Thankfully there’s never been any problems with this drainage at any time since, particularly given the difficulties Birr encountered, having spent a considerable sum on a similar project. I’d safely say all Parishioners are justifiably proud of the pitch.

The wooden dressing rooms were acquired from either Bórd na Móna or ESB at that time, I forget which. They were intended to last five years, we got over 15 years out of them before wear-and-tear concentrated minds on developing a permanent structure which hopefully will stand for generations to come.

Underage is tough, mainly due to numbers given smaller family sizes. Still, participation levels are strong as nearly everyone participates. While there isn’t a Minor team this year, next year’s Minors reached a Féile na nGael semi-final three years ago and there are a number of talented hurlers in that group. There are U16 and U14 teams fielded this year.

The Camógs are joined with Killeigh at Senior level. Again, underage is a numbers issue, but we’ll keep the games alive anyway.

Just on playing numbers. A decade ago Drumcullen and Clareen joined at U21 level but Clareen could contribute just the one player to the team. In recent years that trend has been reversed. A lot of it is down to births, and the boy/girl ratio of those births. Swings and roundabouts.
alltheway wrote:Credit to Lusmagh, the pitch has been in tremendous shape for if all those games have taken place over a troublesome weekend weatherwise.
It's good to hear, because Lusmagh, like a number of rural clubs around at adult level seem to have been hard hit by injuries and emigration and it can fairly decimate a team. So it's quiet important that lads row in and give intermediate a right go as one, it bonds a small, tight-knit group who are looking to regain the all important status of being a senior club. Secondly, it gives parishioners a hope and sense of belonging when a team has a real credible chance of success, and also, for clubs like, Lusmagh, like Drumcullen, Brosna Gaels etc, where titles at adult level have been sparse, it gives whatever youngsters that are there a chance to see their team successful on final day, and that gives a sense of purpose, drive and ambition to them. It's important that if a team can be fielded at underage that they are afforded all the time, resources and dedication that they require to give them a reasonable chance of growing into a team come adult level. And in the case of Lusmagh, the likes of Gary Kelly etc, would be a big addition in developing those kids as a young man, who appears to have a real drive and dedication to a cause like that, is admirable, but also down the line, effective.

The overall goal in rural clubs must be, instead of lamenting about numbers, swings and roundabouts indeed, must be putting all the developmental work into what is there, in the hope that 6, 7 or 8 of a group of youngsters will feed into a team at adult level and succeed. Putting success before all else, and envying the likes of St. Rynaghs, Kilcormac/Killoughey or Birr, for their numbers etc, is a wasted opportunity to really achieve what clubs should be striving for, development, interest, enjoyment and the proper coaching of skills.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

It is a great credit to Lusmagh that they have the facilities to host major games. However, I think if they had their minor players and Under 21 players involved in the club championships, it would be better for the club. Clubs who are not actively involved at minor and under 21 level find it difficult to compete at adult level.

footoftheblooms
Junior B

Post by footoftheblooms »

Sharp Eye it seems evident that there is some kind of dislike towards Lusmagh, but before you start writing up here you should get your facts straight. I was in Lusmagh on Sunday to see the u21and i must compliment them on the grounds and the number of stewards. While there on Sunday i met a good friend of mine(a Lusmagh man) and it came up in conversation about Lusmagh having no participation at minor and u21 level. And he explained to me that Lusmagh had requested to hurl with Coolderry as in the past few years only to be turned down by the county board as the application was a few days late. He told me that at u21 level they had 6 players and at minor 5 players, it seems to be an awful injustice that them 11 players be denied hurling at there own grade, when the like of the rynagh's team that has reached the final had the pick of Banagher, Cloghan, Ferbane, Belmont, Shannonbridge, and a player from Eyrecourt (correct me if i'm wrong), and that the county board couldn't overlook that minor obsticle and allow the two clubs join up . And i would like to wish Lusmagh all the best this year in the intermediate .

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

footoftheblooms wrote:Sharp Eye it seems evident that there is some kind of dislike towards Lusmagh, but before you start writing up here you should get your facts straight. I was in Lusmagh on Sunday to see the u21and i must compliment them on the grounds and the number of stewards. While there on Sunday i met a good friend of mine(a Lusmagh man) and it came up in conversation about Lusmagh having no participation at minor and u21 level. And he explained to me that Lusmagh had requested to hurl with Coolderry as in the past few years only to be turned down by the county board as the application was a few days late. He told me that at u21 level they had 6 players and at minor 5 players, it seems to be an awful injustice that them 11 players be denied hurling at there own grade, when the like of the rynagh's team that has reached the final had the pick of Banagher, Cloghan, Ferbane, Belmont, Shannonbridge, and a player from Eyrecourt (correct me if i'm wrong), and that the county board couldn't overlook that minor obsticle and allow the two clubs join up . And i would like to wish Lusmagh all the best this year in the intermediate .
From what you say, Lusmagh find it difficult to field minor & under 21 teams. If St Rynaghs are willing to include players from Belmont & Ferbane then surely it would make sense for the Lusmagh underage players to hurl for their near neighbours. Offaly and Lusmagh need Lusmagh's underage players competing in our underage championships.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Birr must now be hot favourities to win on Sunday as they have the advantage of a Home Venue and following their defeat of Seir Kieran who had a number of County Senior Panellists on board. While all county finals should be played at neutral venues it is great to have a County-Final back in Offaly's Capital-St Brendans Park, Athmosphere & Crowd Guaranteed.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Sharp Eye wrote:While all county finals should be played at neutral venues it is great to have a County-Final back in Offaly's Capital-St Brendans Park, Athmosphere & Crowd Guaranteed.
Do you know if there are still tickets available?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

While Birr have a decent chance of winning this, the venue wouldn’t be a factor in that. The venue makes a difference in other sports due to a) the away team spending perhaps a day travelling, possibly between time zones, b) the away team play a much more defensive gameplan and c) the away team have relatively few supporters given the distance to travel.

Banagher is eight miles from Birr, so it’s not like they’re travelling to Galatasaray, so the choice of venue won’t be an issue. Choice of referee will. Ciaran Groome. Ya know yerself!

As for the match itself, Conor Clancy is a good goalkeeper, his wobbles against Wexford Minors being a rare blip. They are a good team the whole way up the field, and it’s hard to find a weak link. Anyone else would have Niall Wynne hurling further out the field yet he’s lining out at corner-forward. He, Stephen Quirke and Joey O’Connor can be match-winners. Pat Camon hasn’t been lining out lately (came on as sub against Shinrone), though Kieran McManus and Damien Egan are big additions. On the other side, they do tend to drift out of games for around ten minutes in each half.

Birr themselves are a good team too and they beat a Clareen team who had a good number of Club Senior hurlers, as well as a couple of County Senior panellists. The spine of the team is good, Hayes, Murphy, Brummell, Bolger. There’s alot of pace in the side too. The left side of their attack (Emmet Nolan, Seán O’Connor) did some damage in the second half of the semi-final, though I do feel much of that was down to Clareen right half-back Conor Walsh’s departure with a shoulder injury. Walsh was hurling well up to the time of that injury.

This St Rynagh’s generation have had the edge over Birr all the way up. If Rynagh’s half-forwards can resist the temptation to push forward and crowd their corner-forward pair, Quirke and Wynne should see Rynagh’s claim the title. Rynagh’s get the vote.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Sharp Eye wrote:Birr must now be hot favourities to win on Sunday as they have the advantage of a Home Venue and following their defeat of Seir Kieran who had a number of County Senior Panellists on board. While all county finals should be played at neutral venues it is great to have a County-Final back in Offaly's Capital-St Brendans Park, Athmosphere & Crowd Guaranteed.
I take it then, as I am a betting man by trade, you'd be happy to lay me even money Rynaghs to a decent sized bet? I'll even let you have the draw.

I'm genuinely serious, and will be happy to meet you at the game in front of a neutral witness to hold the cash - though I know you probably aren't and that you didn't believe a word of what you just wrote.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Lone Shark wrote:
Sharp Eye wrote:Birr must now be hot favourities to win on Sunday as they have the advantage of a Home Venue and following their defeat of Seir Kieran who had a number of County Senior Panellists on board. While all county finals should be played at neutral venues it is great to have a County-Final back in Offaly's Capital-St Brendans Park, Athmosphere & Crowd Guaranteed.
I take it then, as I am a betting man by trade, you'd be happy to lay me even money Rynaghs to a decent sized bet? I'll even let you have the draw.

I'm genuinely serious, and will be happy to meet you at the game in front of a neutral witness to hold the cash - though I know you probably aren't and that you didn't believe a word of what you just wrote.
I would love to have a bet with you, but I am currently out of the country. I believe that the game in Birr's backyard must be worth 6/7 points to Birr and I do not believe that their first round performance against Shinrone was in any way a true performance.