Hurling Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joe bloggs
All Star

Re: Hurling Championship

Post by joe bloggs »

Full time birr 1-12 drumcullen 0-13.
The sash could easily have got a draw as their last score came from a 21 that was knocked over on the rebound
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

job done two played two won can't asked for anymore :)

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Brosna Gaels 1-10 Kinnitty 0-10

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Brosna Gaels’ finest hour? Possibly, and on this evening’s evidence (and result) they’ll be in with a good shout of a quarter-final berth.

Gaels completely dominated the first half on a miserable night weather-wise in Tullamore. Jason Devery made some mighty fetches with a big paw. Des Egan scored a peach of a point from the sideline. Gaels controlled midfield where Alan Lynam was outstanding. Gaels’ handling of the ball was phenomenal in the miserable conditions and it was a measure of their dominance that full-back Danny Kelleher hardly saw action in the first half.

Gaels led 0-7 to 0-4 at half time and on the balance of play probably should have led by five or six points more. Still, it’s not always to your advantage to go too far ahead.

Kinnitty moved up a gear following the restart. The first half had more-or-less gone around James Rigney but he was in the thick of everything in the second half. Kinnitty were level by the 40th minute (0-7 each), by which stage Gaels had crossed the end-line just once in that half. Gaels finally got a much-needed score when Fergal Daly tapped over a free after 45 minutes. Two quick points followed and Gaels led 0-10 to 0-7 with ten minutes to go.

Despite carrying passengers, Kinnitty still looked dangerous and reduced the gap to the minimum (0-10 to 0-9) with about five minutes left. Brosna Gaels’ goal was a beauty, finding space (and somehow evading Rigney) and a three-man passing move that had goal written over it from the moment they crossed the 45m line and I think it was Trevor Phelan who finished to the net.

Two vital wins for Gaels which sets them up nicely for a tilt at a place in the knock-out stages. And let’s be clear - they fear nobody. Kinnitty need to get a win over either Coolderry or K-K, which isn’t impossible, but they need a few more leaders in attack.

Scorers: Brosna Gaels: Fergal Daly 0-6 (3f), Trevor Phelan 1-0, Des Egan 0-2, and I forgot to mark down the scorer of their 9th point, the one after Daly’s forst free of the second half.
Kinnitty: Colm Coughlan 0-6 (5f), Mark Robinson, Aodhán Kealey, Shane Kinsella & Stephen molloy 0-1 each.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

brosna gaels
Junior C

Post by brosna gaels »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Scorers: Brosna Gaels: Fergal Daly 0-6 (3f), Trevor Phelan 1-0, Des Egan 0-2, and I forgot to mark down the scorer of their 9th point, the one after Daly’s forst free of the second half.
Des Egan got that point, making in Fergal Daly 0-6 (3f), Trevor Phelan 1-0, Des Egan 0-3, Chris McDonald 0-1.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Dreadful hurling. Kinnitty will be very disappointed to lose this. Should have been a win. In fairness the Gaels get the max out of their players. Not the most natural skillful hurlers but they are very well prepared and work hard to cover for each other. They know their limitations and not afraid to give it a go. Conditions probably did suit them as they handled the heavy pitch alot better than Kinnitty. But Kinnitty can have no excuses, they just were not up for it and that was the difference between them losing by a goal or winning by 8 or 9 points. Devery is excellent in the air which on a night like last night had a huge impact.

Who knows, give Brosna a wet day and they might take Coolderry.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Sorry, Timber, can’t agree with your assessment there.

I thought Gaels were full value for their win, and I think in dry conditions they might well have been ten points ahead at half-time. Not sure what you mean by “not the most natural skilful hurlers”. Time was wet conditions suited the more skilful team because they were better able to control the ball on a slippery hurl. If Gaels do have a weakness it’s that they don’t get enough length into their strikes but maybe the wet evening militated against that. And if a 40-yard clearance is won by Jason Devery isn’t that better than hitting a 60-yard one down James Rigney’s throat?

At this stage Offaly is the most backward county in hurling and having a whole county waiting for the ball to hop twice on the ground before they can tap it twice on the hurl before catching it is the root of the problem. Brosna Gaels are an example to all because they don’t wait for the ball to hop, nor do they tap it on the hurl – they catch it first go.

No point being a ‘natural skilful hurler’, as you put it if you are beaten to every breaking ball. Getting gold medals in the ground-hurling drills does not make a successful hurler. You can have all the natural hurlers you want but if they are swanning around and not able for the intensity the opposition bring then they’re no use to anyone.

Kinnitty not up for it? Agree, but that’s their problem. Kinnitty might be the better for addressing their problems (and there are several) rather than your stupid and bitter ‘Coolderry’ comment’.

On the pitch, there was a lot of rain fell yesterday and while the pitch was soggy underfoot and you could hear it in the players’ footsteps, the pitch didn’t cut up and in fact held up well.
timber wrote:Dreadful hurling. Kinnitty will be very disappointed to lose this. Should have been a win. In fairness the Gaels get the max out of their players. Not the most natural skillful hurlers but they are very well prepared and work hard to cover for each other. They know their limitations and not afraid to give it a go. Conditions probably did suit them as they handled the heavy pitch alot better than Kinnitty. But Kinnitty can have no excuses, they just were not up for it and that was the difference between them losing by a goal or winning by 8 or 9 points. Devery is excellent in the air which on a night like last night had a huge impact.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

timber wrote:Dreadful hurling. Kinnitty will be very disappointed to lose this. Should have been a win. In fairness the Gaels get the max out of their players. Not the most natural skillful hurlers but they are very well prepared and work hard to cover for each other. They know their limitations and not afraid to give it a go. Conditions probably did suit them as they handled the heavy pitch alot better than Kinnitty. But Kinnitty can have no excuses, they just were not up for it and that was the difference between them losing by a goal or winning by 8 or 9 points. Devery is excellent in the air which on a night like last night had a huge impact.

This was probably a comment motivated by the pain of losing, which is understandable, but unintentionally I think it's one of the most condescending posts I've ever read on the site, and it goes a long way towards illustrating the problems in Offaly hurling. You honestly think, even after the game, that Kinnitty would have won by eight or nine points if they were "up for it"?

Hard work for each other, looking to dominate the battle in the air, covering ground and good support play are basics of modern hurling, much more important than any wristy flicks and touches. These are the skills that we should be imparting to our players.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

brosna gaels wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Scorers: Brosna Gaels: Fergal Daly 0-6 (3f), Trevor Phelan 1-0, Des Egan 0-2, and I forgot to mark down the scorer of their 9th point, the one after Daly’s forst free of the second half.
Des Egan got that point, making in Fergal Daly 0-6 (3f), Trevor Phelan 1-0, Des Egan 0-3, Chris McDonald 0-1.

how did Chris McDonald hurl last night

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

LoneShark, theres no need to be so defensive. I was not knocking Brosna. if you read my post I stated that they work very hard for each other. And they are brilliantly prepared by a very enthusiastic man who has done a brilliant job in uniting 4 or 5 clubs which other clubs on their own fail to do. i have the utmost respect for the work they have done.

The long and short of it is that Kinnitty cant have any excuses. I did not make any for them. They were not up for the game. And that does have a massive swing on any game. In my opinion from seeing both teams over recent years I would have to say that I was suprised Kinnitty lost as I think they have better hurlers. Then again how many times have we seen Kinnitty lose to teams that they were expected to beat and then up their performance for a Coolderry. I think it was two very poor teams.

You acknowledge the same things I acknowledged from their performance, hard work and aerial dominance. So dont come all high and mighty saying my comments were condescending. I called it as I saw it. No loyalties to either team. So it did'nt bother me either way. It was dreadful bad hurling. And that annoyed me.

The gaels were full value for their win on the night. I do think they used the slower conditions better. Balls were not zipping off the turf. Its a valid point. If you dont agree then you dont agree but its not me being condescending.

You knock wristy flicks and touches in your post. If that's the attitude to first touch in hurling then it explains why things are so bad. How many times was it a poor first touch cost Offaly a turnover last weekend which Galway punished. Work rate and support play is very very important but so is having good hurling skills. Terrible attitude on your behalf Loneshark.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

timber wrote:LoneShark, theres no need to be so defensive. I was not knocking Brosna. if you read my post I stated that they work very hard for each other. And they are brilliantly prepared by a very enthusiastic man who has done a brilliant job in uniting 4 or 5 clubs which other clubs on their own fail to do. i have the utmost respect for the work they have done.

The long and short of it is that Kinnitty cant have any excuses. I did not make any for them. They were not up for the game. And that does have a massive swing on any game. In my opinion from seeing both teams over recent years I would have to say that I was suprised Kinnitty lost as I think they have better hurlers. Then again how many times have we seen Kinnitty lose to teams that they were expected to beat and then up their performance for a Coolderry. I think it was two very poor teams.

You acknowledge the same things I acknowledged from their performance, hard work and aerial dominance. So dont come all high and mighty saying my comments were condescending. I called it as I saw it. No loyalties to either team. So it did'nt bother me either way. It was dreadful bad hurling. And that annoyed me.

The gaels were full value for their win on the night. I do think they used the slower conditions better. Balls were not zipping off the turf. Its a valid point. If you dont agree then you dont agree but its not me being condescending.

You knock wristy flicks and touches in your post. If that's the attitude to first touch in hurling then it explains why things are so bad. How many times was it a poor first touch cost Offaly a turnover last weekend which Galway punished. Work rate and support play is very very important but so is having good hurling skills. Terrible attitude on your behalf Loneshark.
Maybe that's not how you meant it, but your initial post suggested that the Gaels won on account of (1) the conditions and (2) Kinnitty not being "up for it". Whether they were or they weren't, that still reads very condescendingly.

And I didn't knock flicks and touches, I merely said that as skills of the game go, they are of secondary importance to securing possession by way of dominating the rucks and the battle for high ball. That's just a fact of the way hurling has gone, and it scares me that here in Offaly, we seem to be the last county to try and fight that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

brosna gaels
Junior C

Post by brosna gaels »

timber wrote: uniting 4 or 5 clubs
Brosna Gaels is made up of the parish of Leamonaghan, and draws players from 4 clubs, namely Ballycumber, Doon and Erin Rovers with permission players from Tubber.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Well done Brosna Gaels.

I was long gone from the Parish before you even started but its great to see hurling flourish. I well remember our first attempt, Novice Junior it was called and I was subbed at HT !!!!!! So its brilliant progress & long may it continue.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Belmont 0-14 Tullamore 0-12

With four leading men abroad, Belmont weren’t supposed to have any chance against Tullamore this evening, but they made an almighty effort and carried the day.

Belmont started the better, hurling well out the field though Colin Egan was isolated at full-forward. Leon Fox deputised for Mark Egan on freetaking duties and did well, pointing early frees from distance. The recalled James Murphy hurled well in defence and John Egan did probably as good a job on Shane Dooley as any defender will this year. But Tullamore settled, with Alan Martin, Stephen Egan and Niall Houlihan hurling well in the full-back line and nigel MAnnion and Edwin Finnerty causing problems in attack.

Tullamore were level 0-4 each by the mid-point of the first half and had the better if the second quarter during which Belmont were clinging on. But cling on they did, and Belmont led 0-8 to 0-7 at half-time. Tullamore attempted to gain access to their dressing-room at half-time but for some reason were denied access and had to have their half-time team-talk behind the ball-wall.

By the 40th minute Belmont led 0-11 to 0-9 and with Colin Egan now winning ball in the half-forward line were starting to believe. Each side pointed just once in the next 10 minutes and when Leon Fox pointed a free from 60 metres before collapsing in agony (presumably with cramp, he was then replaced) Belmont led 0-13 to 0-10 with four minutes to go. Shane Dooley, now roving to the half-forward line, pointed two quick frees to leave just a point in it. Dooley was left to plough a lone furrow for Tullamore during the second half and got little help from his fellow-forwards, four of whom (plus a midfielder) were substituted.

David Kenny had a quiet game at centre-back, only coming into it for a 10 minute period before half –time, had again came into it in the last five minutes and it was Kenny who nailed it for Belmont. He gained possession deep in his own half but found space in front of him to storm upfield and drive a mighty point over the bar from halfway. There were three minutes added by Noel Flynn (who generally handled the game well but his insistence in not explaining a single decision with a hand-signal was frustrating) but Tullamore were unable to engineer the goal chance.

Belmont held on for a vital win. Tullamore, now beaten twice, will need a result from at least two of their remaining fixtures against Birr, Shinrone and Drumcullen.

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

Delighted for Belmont. They were probably the club most inconvenienced of all by the ridiculous decision to just throw in a round of fixtures, with complete disregard shown for the master fixture plan which is supposedly impenetrable if a club looks for a switch (just ask Clonbullogue). Hope it gives David Kenny a bit of a lift aswell and leaves him in fine fettle for the qualifiers.

Well done also to Brosna Gaels yesterday evening. A fine example of what can be done by a club and a set of players with a 'can do' attitude. Take note Ollie!!

On the Birr/Drumcullen game, I was told that Breeder hurled outfield. Can anyone confirm or did I fall for one hook, line and sinker?

Did anyone hear the results of the KK/Ballinamere and Coolderry/Ballyskenagh intermediate games? Thanks

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Over The Black Spot wrote:
On the Birr/Drumcullen game, I was told that Breeder hurled outfield. Can anyone confirm or did I fall for one hook, line and sinker?
He did.
Birr were short numbers without taking from their intermediate team, hence Breeder being played outfield for the first half only. Something of a new Birr team would appear to be in its very beginnings with Paddy Mullins, Eoin Hayes, Colm Mulrooney, John McIntyre and Sean T O'Connor all playing senior for the first time for the town side this year.
Paul Clearly hurled an impressive game at FB with Rory and Barry Whelahan being the pick of the rest.