offaly senior hurling squad 2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

offaly senior hurling squad 2012

Post by townman »

since theres one in football we might as well have one in hurling, is there any new players that have got word to go in
i see where Brendan Murphy will give 100 per cent this year which is good new's.

won't name a side as its to early in the year i would like to see Barry Harding and Brian Watkins get a call to Bakers squad a long with Gazza Kelly
Coolderry should have a few after their club run ends would like to see Eoin Ryan hurl with a dry ball and hard ground one to watch out for.

Hope Ollie Baker can get Diarmuid Horan to hurl with offaly this year thats if he is still in the country he was one of the best wingback's a few year's ago.
would also like to see Kilcormac/killougheys Brian Leonard get another go he is also a big strong hurler and thats what we need to compete.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Re: offaly senior hurling squad 2012

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Would disagree with you over Gary Kelly and Brian Leonard. The rest should all be given a chance.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:Would disagree with you over Gary Kelly and Brian Leonard. The rest should all be given a chance.
maybe not on the team but squad, a few walsh cup games or a league game here or there, you had Joe Dooley playing the like of Kevin Brady Centre forward
even had Stephen Wynne half forward which was Madness.

Ollie Baker should give new players ago in there right positions, as for Brian Leonard he was in with offaly in Joe's first year and had a great game again Galway
in the league that year in tullamore but wasn't seen much after, i thought he was very good the two years offaly got to the leinster under21 final's.

there was worst on the panel over the last two years than Leonard and Gazza Kelly i think it's time we got the best hurlers in the county playing or in a squad
of 30 hurlers.

puzzled
All Star
Club: neutral

Post by puzzled »

Right lads after giving this a bit of thought I came up with this panel for training and obviously it would have to be cut come championship but here goes.
T Corcoran K Brady D Murray C Parlon E Ryan B Carroll K Connolly(Coolderry)B Watkins R Hanniffy D Hayden B Harding S Ryan M Verney P Cleary T Bolger(Birr)C Clancy G Kelly D Horan S og Lyons(St Rynaghs)E Murphy J Bergin T Carroll(Seir Kieran)S Dooley K Waters S Egan(Tullamore)C Mahon D Currams K Grogan J Grogan(K/K)J Dempsey J Rigney(Kinnity)D Kenny C Egan(Belmont)D Morkham(Shinrone)C Gath(Drumcullen)C Mcdonald(Brosna Gaels)D Molloy(Shamrocks)B Murphy(Ballyskenagh)D Franks(Carrickshock)E Kelly(Lusmagh)

I'm probably after leaving out a couple of guys that some of ye think should be in the squad but I'm sure I'll be corrected by ye :D

Greenwhiteandgold
Intermediate

Post by Greenwhiteandgold »

Some of them lads shouldnt be near it puzzled.. T.bolger nowhere near it, waters? Connolly hasent much hurling done this year and isint starting for coolderry so will hardly be on it.. I would like to see harding and watkins on it, sean gardiner could be worth a place on the panel with and eye to the future. Sean Coughlan, mark morkan and brian mulrooney, barry teehan would be good enough for the panel.. Dwanye dunne from killurin was a one man team for them this year and was impressive.. Eoin ryan is a good prospect and I would like to see sean ryan commit, i think he would be better off at the hurling than the football as he cant seem to nail down a starting position. I think trevor corcoran has definately justified his chance to be back on the panel.. If hes not better than verney its all a matter.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Greenwhiteandgold wrote:Some of them lads shouldnt be near it puzzled.. T.bolger nowhere near it, waters? Connolly hasent much hurling done this year and isint starting for coolderry so will hardly be on it.. I would like to see harding and watkins on it, sean gardiner could be worth a place on the panel with and eye to the future. Sean Coughlan, mark morkan and brian mulrooney, barry teehan would be good enough for the panel.. Dwanye dunne from killurin was a one man team for them this year and was impressive.. Eoin ryan is a good prospect and I would like to see sean ryan commit, i think he would be better off at the hurling than the football as he cant seem to nail down a starting position. I think trevor corcoran has definately justified his chance to be back on the panel.. If hes not better than verney its all a matter.
yea Bolger isn't a county hurler and won't make it, would like to see Dwanye Dunne giving a chance to see what he can do great fella to get a score
Sean Coughlan another who is a fine big man and could have make a fine fullback in the coming year's.

Trevor Corcoran has been the top fullback over the last two year's in offaly club championship, but club hurling is a different world from intercounty hurling
Corcoran like Verney good club hurler's but would struggle again the kilkennys, tipps, in the championships.

i see where the Cha was gone from the kilkenny panel wouldn't be a bad one to have, i think with might see him in the Dublin jersey soon.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

i see where the Cha was gone from the kilkenny panel wouldn't be a bad one to have, i think with might see him in the Dublin jersey soon.
Ah dont be saying that Townman. Those feckers have enough foreigners as it is. Cha's interview seems to have a bit of bite in it and alot of frustration. Maybe that's just the way it was edited.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Long John wrote:
Ah dont be saying that Townman. Those feckers have enough foreigners as it is. Cha's interview seems to have a bit of bite in it and alot of frustration. Maybe that's just the way it was edited.
well he does work as a teacher in Dublin they got Ryan O'Dwyer from tipp, he is only 26 so if Brian Cody doesn't want him i am sure
Anthony Daly will have his number, Niall Corcoran was the same Galway wouldn't pick him so he hurl with Dublin.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

townman wrote:
Long John wrote:
well he does work as a teacher in Dublin they got Ryan O'Dwyer from tipp, he is only 26 so if Brian Cody doesn't want him i am sure
Anthony Daly will have his number, Niall Corcoran was the same Galway wouldn't pick him so he hurl with Dublin.
Oh they will try their best alright. Hope to hell he does'nt go near them. Good hurler is Cha.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

Wouldn't he have to join a club in Dublin? I'd find it hard to see him do that.
Shame that he has retired. He was great to watch at his best. Great stickman depending on pure skill. Unfortunately his form has slumped in the last year or two. Cody is probably beyond criticism in Kilkenny but his man management seems terrible at times. Once he is against you, you've had it.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

corner back wrote:Wouldn't he have to join a club in Dublin? I'd find it hard to see him do that.
Shame that he has retired. He was great to watch at his best. Great stickman depending on pure skill. Unfortunately his form has slumped in the last year or two. Cody is probably beyond criticism in Kilkenny but his man management seems terrible at times. Once he is against you, you've had it.
Agree with the above. I'm very sad to see him go, loved watching him hurl. Would certainly have him on my team of the last decade. At his height, he was hurling at its purist. Inter-county hurling is a hard enough road at the best of times, especially so when you feel you've no chance of making the team and are not been given a fair chance to do so. Best of luck to him in his retirement.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Anyway, back to topic....

Does anybody know the Offaly Hurling Panel for 2012?

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

Surely Barry Harding,Brian Watkins and Sean Ryan will get call ups.I would also like to think that Ger Scales and Eoin Ryan would get called up for the league may be a bit small and light for intercounty level I suppose but they would be worth a go.Seeing as we wont be involved in a relegation struiuggle next year there is plenty of room for experimentation.Is Diarmuid Horan back in Ireland full time if he is then he shoudl be called up also.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

In relation to Diarmuid Horan, does anyone know his situation. No one seems to know his wherabouts, or his plans. Tis a shame to see such a fine hurler lost to Offaly when he should be coming into his prime although I understand its entirely his choice. Is he still in the States or whats the story?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:In relation to Diarmuid Horan, does anyone know his situation. No one seems to know his wherabouts, or his plans. Tis a shame to see such a fine hurler lost to Offaly when he should be coming into his prime although I understand its entirely his choice. Is he still in the States or whats the story?
He was home for the county semil again Birr he was listed on the sub's don't know if he went back to The State's .

yes it was his own choice but with the new manger in Baker will he come back ! or would he come back if his father Padraig got the gig ?