Latter Stages of Junior A

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Latter Stages of Junior A

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Is it a question of clubs 'getting' games?
A lot of clubs don't want extra matches played on their pitches and don't offer them as neutral venues.
The same for county teams training venues, some clubs don't want them on their pitches.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Geashill is a pretty dire pitch alright. All finals should be played in O' Connor park.

I think Harps will win this final handy regardless of where its played. They have been very impressive. Id be suprised if they didnt win this game by 8 or 9 points.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Ideally all finals would be played in O'Connor Park, however the issue of the sheer number of games has to be borne in mind here too.

However what surprises me is that this Junior final is going ahead this weekend, when I would have thought that it would be the obvious candidate to be a curtain raiser for the county final. I presume the minor was the first choice, but St Rynagh's draw with Raheen scuppers this I would imagine, between minor football, minor hurling, inter football and inter hurling.

The intermediate final is a big enough occasion to stand on it's own two feet I'd have thought, and there aren't really a lot of other contenders. I'd love to believe that the Junior B is being considered, but being realistic..... :P

I don't think the Harps will win handy by the way. I'd marginally favour them, but marginally is the height of it. Are there any key Shamrocks players who might get called into action if tomorrow's semi goes down to the wire?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

This is how the Tullamore Tribune calls it

Sports
Clonmore Harps Form Impossible To Ignore In Novel JFC Final Pairing
Thursday, 30 September 2010

CLONMORE Harps and Shamrocks will meet next Sunday in Geashill in a Tullamore Court Hotel Junior Football Championship final that absolutely nobody could have foreseen at the start of the year.
Kilcormac/Killoughey, Daingean and Tullamore were all way ahead of Clonmore Harps and Shamrocks in the pecking order at the start of the championship and if the winner was to come outside of that trio, we thought it might be Cappincur who would upset the apple cart. No one else had a chance, or so we thought, and it was impossible to envision the champions coming outside of Kilcormac/Killoughey, Daingean and Tullamore.
Instead, however, Clonmore Harps and Shamrocks have marched to the final and considering the manner in which they have upset opposition this year, it will take a brave man to predict the final outcome with any degree of certainty.
Under normal circumstances, Clonmore Harps would be the underdogs. With Ballinabrackey in Meath on one side of them and a powerful Rhode on the other side, Clonmore Harps live life under something of a 'siege mentality'.
For years, there was long running difficulty with Ballinabrackey over players playing illegally with the Meath club while this year, the best player in their catchment area, minor star Paul McPadden is not playing with them, amid rumours that a move to Rhode is imminent.
The fact that Shamrocks also beat them in the group stages also suggests that Clonmore Harps should be underdogs but there has been something so compelling about their form and the way they have approached business this year that we make the Meath border side slight favourites.
It has been an amazing championship in many respects, particularly the demise of Kilcormac/Killoughey, Daingean and Tullamore - An equivalent at senior level would be Clara, Rhode or Tullamore failing to reach the final.
Both Shamrocks and Clonmore Harps stuttered and stumbled in their group and provided no evidence that they would reach the final - An indication of their struggles is provided by the fact that both lost to Ferbane and could only draw with Ballinagar meet in a relegation play off to decide who makes the drop to junior B.
For Clonmore Harps, the defining moment of their year was a shock win over Daingean in Clonmore while they also beat Tullamore on home turf and their season really ignited after this.
In the knockout stages, they have been in great form, steam rolling their way to memorable wins over Cappincur and Daingean in the quarter-final and semi-final.
Shamrocks also scraped out of the group but they do have hit the ground running in the knockout stages, beating Killeigh in the quarter-final and scoring four goals as they beat Tullamore in the semi-final.
Clonmore Harps, however, have built up huge momentum and their ability to fight for each other and work rate gives them a huge chance.
Neither side has any real star, though they have very exciting forwards in Clonmore's James Foy and Shamrocks' Packie Walsh.
It should be a good game of football and Shamrocks will fancy their chances. The biggest fear for Clonmore Harps is that the occasion will get to them and this is unlikely to happen Shamrocks - It is a difficult one to call but the way Clonmore have played in their last couple of games is impossible to ignore and they get the nod to win.
Verdict - Clonmore Harps.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

TRUEGAEL
Junior A

Post by TRUEGAEL »

the junior b final was the preview for the senior final in 2008 so you never know.the junior final will be serious battle no clear favourites as far as i can see.just think clonmore myth edge it because of pure will to win

Harps Man
Junior A

Post by Harps Man »

clonmore harps 1-10 shamrocks 0-10
be it a big field or a bog field it makes no odds to these lads!!
junior A county champions 2010 CLONMORE HARPS
Well done lads

TRUEGAEL
Junior A

Post by TRUEGAEL »

there is only one clonmore harps guts and die for one orther attitude carried them over the line shamrocks no answer to guts

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Well done to Clonmore. Go on and do the county proud in Leinster now. Shamrocks deserve huge credit aswell. They lost their midfielder Brian Kearney to Senior football on Saturday and their centre back Adrian Minnock through injury last week. I dont think anybody would of expected them to go as close to winning the Junior after losing so many players to the seniors this year. Well done to them, they showed some guts aswell minus their main men.

Harps Man
Junior A

Post by Harps Man »

TRUEGAEL wrote:there is only one clonmore harps guts and die for one orther attitude carried them over the line shamrocks no answer to guts
fair play to you true gale,great to see you take the time out of celebrating to post!!!

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Congratulations to Clonmore, would have loved to have been at the game and witnessed the scenes! Delighted for my second favourite team in the county!
The night is darkest before the dawn

TRUEGAEL
Junior A

Post by TRUEGAEL »

clonmore harps v ballyfin,or the winners of westmeath have we chance against these junior teams what is the stanard like in westmeath and loais