County senior hurling championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Re: County senior hurling championship

Post by Offaly2010 »

Thanks for the report sean.

As regards Colm Coughlan, I wasn't at the game, I just got word from the brother that he had a very good game scoring 2-9, and he also Nigel Dunne had a good game for Shamrocks.

Just as a matter of interest sean, would you be able to post up both starting teams?

Thanks.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

It was very poor hurling. Conditions probably didnt help to be fair. Wouldnt by any means say Colm Coughlan was outstanding. They were just in total control and alot of good ball going into forwards, everybody did enough. Justin Kinsella had a very good second half drifting around the field.
Thought Rigney struggled a bit on Hannon, he hurled a good bit of ball but Hannon did aswell and should of had 4 or 5 points but for brutal wides.

Shamrocks cant afford to be without so many players. They generally beat Kinnitty or theres very little between them and this shows just how much interest there is or lack of it. Nigel Dunne was a major threat that Kinnitty found very hard to cope with. Darragh Minnock also got alot of ball and hurled well enough. They had no back up with the likes of Molloy, Monaghan, Coughlans and Keaneys missing. They look doomed for relegation possibly meeting Lusmagh who I think have Shamrocks previous manager over them and Shamrocks are trained by Aidan Hanrahan who hurls for Lusmagh.

The likes of Stephen Molloy missing for Kinnitty is not something they will want for the knock out stages. He is their best attacker by quiet a bit I think so they need to get him back to full fitness. Would be good to see them getting their act together again and pushing on in the championship but they need to improve alot.

sean
Junior C

Post by sean »

Didnt have a programme for the shamrocks v kinnitty so wont attpemt to name the teams...
im a birr man but couldnt make the game tonight against belmont,heard they won 3-15 to 10pts...birr were missing rory hanniffy,sean ryan and paul molloy for definite,not sure how the team lined out...heard seir kieran beat tullamore quiet easily,a good win for them following the disappointment of last weeks u-21 game,they would hav had 6/7 u-21s playing tonight and shows good character to be part of that team tonight and record a facile win!!

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Birr 3-15 - 0-10 Belmont

Seir Keiran 2-27 - 2-11 Tullamore

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

St Rynagh’s 5-6 Brosna Gaels 1-15

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Nearly a sensation in Moystown, Rynagh’s hanging on for dear life at the end.

It looked to be a mere formality when 5 first half goals gave Rynagh’s a sizeable lead, but Gaels came into it while it took Rynagh’s over 20 minutes to register a score in the second half. Brosna got the gap down to 2 points, ynagh’s extended it to 5 before Brosna reduced the gap to 3 deep in stoppage time.

Brosna had a chance to level it with a 20m free but Egan’s shot was saved, the ’65 was medded up and the referee blew full-time. That close.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

a faithful man
Junior C

Re: Co senior hurling championship

Post by a faithful man »

i believe k/k are getting inrone their scores off scraps. not a good bunch of hurlers..i'd be worried now. not much great players. maybe D.Currams is going well but not hurling as well as Michael Cordial of Shinrone or Gary Hannafey of Birr. I know Gary myself now and going thru the years too but that's not stopping him from hurling.... hoping my club might might win the junior championship this year. theyre going well...

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Great comeback from Brosna Gaels. They really are giving it a good lash this year. You just have to wonder how well they would do if they had more time to concentrate fully on hurling. They may struggle a bit now as Ballycumber will be in quarter final of football and Erin Rovers and Tubber will be battling relegation. This may affect their preparations.

Interesting to see the Clareen result against Tullamore. I think this really just shows how hard it is for the dual clubs to compete with such a hectic schedule. Its crazy. Tullamore benefitted hugely from getting knocked out of the footbal early last year. They hadnt won a game in the hurling up to that and then their season turned hugely. I feel the county board have to really look at a new system of fixtures to give these teams a chance and make it an even playing field in preparation terms.

I heard Lusmagh came within a whisker of upsetting Coolderry. Was anybody at this. It was no surprise as some people were telling me last week that Lusmagh were flying in training and challenges. They are due a win as they have been very close in all the games they have played to date.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I wasn’t at the Clareen v Tullamore match, but putting the result down to Tullamore playing football strikes me as dismissive of a fine Clareen team.

2-27 is savage tally, no matter who you’re hurling against and while much is made of Joseph Bergin’s 0-15, it should be noted that the rest of the team clocked up 2-12 between them. I do believe James Mulrooney was suspended, too. Don’t forget that Clareen drew twice with Kilcormac last year, only losing out in extra time and would have 9 or 10 U21 hurlers on the starting 15.

I wouldn’t say Lusmagh came near beating Coolderry, although they were beaten by 4 points in the end. Funnily enough a dodgy penalty which resulted in a goal from the rebound was the spur which led to Lusmagh’s best spell in the 10 minutes before half time.

That was as good as it got though and a second-half fadeout followed. Coolderry weren’t much better though, and it took the introduction of Kevin Connolly and Michael Ryan to open the game up and Lusmagh struggled with their pace. A very young Lusmagh team with 3 of the forwards having won an All-Ireland with Banagher College learlier this year.

The backs are decent and Ciarán and Kevin Birmingham, John Kelly and Rory Quinlan hurled well yesterday while Brian Birmingham and Eoin Quinlan did well for 45 minutes until Kevin Brady went midfield and he took over. Joe Brady was a colossus though, and Lusmagh could find no way past him.

Brian Carroll was forced off with a shoulder injury after he was hit a heavy dunt when caught in possession – possibly an AC injury similar to the one suffered by Tommy Walsh in Kilkenny recently. They’ll want him, and hurling well, in the knockout stages. Kevin Birmingham didn’t give him a sniff yesterday.

As for St Rynagh’s, I don’t believe they didn’t have a hard training session the night before they took on Brosna Gaels. They’ll improve for the forthcoming Shannonside derby – of that there’s no doubt.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Quarter Finals shaping up like this so????

Birr v Tullamore/Brosna Gaels.

Kinnitty v Seir Kieran

Kilcormac/Killoughey v St Rynaghs

Shinrone v Coolderry

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Probably. Birr v Tullamore or Brosna is a cert, as is Coolderry v Shinrone. Which of Rynaghs or Clareen finishes second or third depends on how they get on, though Clareen have the edge when it comes to scoring difference. Kinnitty & K-K will also come down to scoring difference, so the calculators will eb out and the text messages will cross back and forth as the matches are on. Round 5 is fixed for All-Ireland weekend, so they might all be on the Saturday, keeping the Sunday free.
kinnittyman wrote:Quarter Finals shaping up like this so????

Birr v Tullamore/Brosna Gaels.
Kinnitty v Seir Kieran
Kilcormac/Killoughey v St Rynaghs
Shinrone v Coolderry

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Having seen all the main contenders in action I would think that Biir at this stage are in pole position to regain the sean robbins at the moment
Outside or that I would say KK Coolderry and maybe Kinnity might be good enough if Birr slip up.
I would say that Shamrocks will be the team most likely to go down unless they turnn things around quickly
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

joe bloggs wrote:Having seen all the main contenders in action I would think that Biir at this stage are in pole position to regain the sean robbins at the moment
Outside or that I would say KK Coolderry and maybe Kinnity might be good enough if Birr slip up.
I would say that Shamrocks will be the team most likely to go down unless they turnn things around quickly
can't see Birr caught out this year we are hurling well and won our first league since 1997 a few weeks ago
the change of manger has freshen Birr this year. good to see the sid back got two good scores again kinnitty in league final.

he would be a great sub to bring into a tight game later on in the year :D

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Can't see anyone beating Birr myself at this stage. They were at 70% in League Final, were missing Rory Hanniffy and won at a canter.

Seemingly all Round 5 fixtures are on Saturday September 4th at 4pm.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
kinnittyman wrote:Seemingly all Round 5 fixtures are on Saturday September 4th at 4pm.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

What I heard is that there is a function for the Offaly 1985 team in Dublin that night and all games are being played early in the evening to allow people to go to that and the All Ireland the next day.

The matches from the same groups all have to throw in simultaneously which could be hard to organise on a Friday evening so Saturday at the same time for all games is the last remaining option. Do we have 6 competent senior hurling referees in the county?