County senior hurling championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
footoftheblooms
Junior B

Re: County senior hurling championship

Post by footoftheblooms »

You average one post a month and then you go mouthing off against a valued contributor!! What’s the story? And who is the referee and could you outline some poor decisions he seems to have made please?[/quote]

Well for start he gave a penalty against lusmagh in the wrong, in the process of clearing the ball the fullback was clearly fouled and the ball ended up in the net. The last free Kevin Connolly won, where the corner back ran alongside connolly and the ball flew over there head, Groome gave a free in. Theres four points that Coolderry won band the amount of times Joe Brady threw the ball instead of a handpass was ridiculous!!!!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

leinsterman wrote: i know its hard to get refs but ciaran groome is a football ref i know he did a bit of hurling with
gracefield a few years ago. i think he is out of his depth reffing hurling nothing again the man but he hasn't a clue.
Bit harsh calling him a football ref only. Is this because he's from Bracknagh? He hurled with Gracefield, St Brigids and Rhode and is reffing on the intercounty scene these days (Christy Ring Cup and Div3 games...that type of thing) so I wouldn't be questioning his hurling knowledge. For as long as I can remember there have been inconsistancies in referring and there always will be because humans are involved in sometimes hostile and high pressure situations. Its always easy to to make a call watching a replay on TV, or sitting far back in the stand and seeing a tackle or foul committed but these refs have to make 50-60 of these calls a game and they can't and won't ever get them all right.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

bracknaghboy wrote:
leinsterman wrote: i know its hard to get refs but ciaran groome is a football ref i know he did a bit of hurling with
gracefield a few years ago. i think he is out of his depth reffing hurling nothing again the man but he hasn't a clue.
Bit harsh calling him a football ref only. Is this because he's from Bracknagh? He hurled with Gracefield, St Brigids and Rhode and is reffing on the intercounty scene these days (Christy Ring Cup and Div3 games...that type of thing) so I wouldn't be questioning his hurling knowledge. For as long as I can remember there have been inconsistancies in referring and there always will be because humans are involved in sometimes hostile and high pressure situations. Its always easy to to make a call watching a replay on TV, or sitting far back in the stand and seeing a tackle or foul committed but these refs have to make 50-60 of these calls a game and they can't and won't ever get them all right.
right fair enough i shouldn't have said he is just a football ref, but some out his calls in matches would make you pull your hair out he is whistle happy
maybe he will get better in time and fair play to him for doing the job i wouldn't. bye the way is he not from rhode .

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Groome got the penalty call wrong, I’ll give you that. Ciarán Birmingham had that ball covered facing his own goal, the forward challenged him from behind – it was a clear free-out.

You could argue the toss about what happened after the rebound – full-back put under heavy pressure in his own square and was caught in possession. As for the Connolly free at the end, Ciarán nudged him while the ball was in the air. There was clear contact when looked at side-on from the stand where I was stood.

There’s still a nagging feeling that even if Lusmagh had built up a lead, Coodlerry would have reeled them in. It should be noted Lusmagh scored a mere 2 points in the second half (those in the 28th & 30th minutes) and hit 3 wides in the second half. Yep, they crossed the end-line five times in 30 minutes. I accept Lusmagh had a very young team (with 4 minors) but the forwards were completely swamped in the second half where they had no answer to Joe Brady & the Corcorans, and once Kevin Brady went back to a defensive midfield role their goose was cooked.

The same thing happened Lusmagh in the match against Clareen where they did well facing into the wind in the first half yet faded after the restart. They should have beaten Tullamore (I wasn’t at the Brosna Gaels match) and Coolderry wasn’t a match I’d have been targeting for a win in any event. Point being that Lusmagh's problems go far beyond dodgy refereeing.

I still think they’ll win a match – it looks like they’ll be facing Belmont in the relegation semi-final. That’s a winnable fixture. Fact is, it HAS to be won.
footoftheblooms wrote:Well for start he gave a penalty against lusmagh in the wrong, in the process of clearing the ball the fullback was clearly fouled and the ball ended up in the net. The last free Kevin Connolly won, where the corner back ran alongside connolly and the ball flew over there head, Groome gave a free in. Theres four points that Coolderry won band the amount of times Joe Brady threw the ball instead of a handpass was ridiculous!!!!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Which reminds me, stewards would be difficult to arrange what with a club’s team playing at another venue at the same time. Matches might have to be fixed for non-senior clubs like OCP, Rath, Crinkill, Carrig and 2 other venues.

Kudos POTH with your prediction. Just heard official word that all fixtures are being played in non senior clubs. The Kinnitty V Belmont match is on in Crinkle, the others I don't know about.

And a week out here is my final prediction for the Quarter Final fixtures:

Birr V Seir Kieran

Kinnitty v Brosna Gaels

Kilcormac/Killooghey v St Rynaghs

Shinrone v Coolderry

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

kinnittyman wrote:And a week out here is my final prediction for the Quarter Final fixtures:

Birr V Seir Kieran

Kinnitty v Brosna Gaels

Shinrone v Coolderry
Tullamore will be in the quarter finals. Brosna won't stop them.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

bracknaghboy wrote:
kinnittyman wrote:And a week out here is my final prediction for the Quarter Final fixtures:

Birr V Seir Kieran

Kinnitty v Brosna Gaels

Shinrone v Coolderry
Tullamore will be in the quarter finals. Brosna won't stop them.

Jeez i don't know Tullamore have been fairly septic this year and while Brosna lost last weekend aswell they put up a better show than Tullamore. If Brosna hold Shane Dooley they are well on their way.

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Friday 3rd September

Aidan Bracken Building Design Intermediate Hurling Championship

Birr v Carraig & Riverstown Moystown P Egan 6.45 pm

Crinkle v Shinrone Clareen N Flynn 6.45 pm

Killurin v Clara Ballinamere N Cooney 6.45 pm

Ballyskenagh v Killavilla Lusmagh A Ryan 6.45 pm

Kilcormac/Killoughey v Drumcullen Killeigh C Buckley 6.45 pm

St Rynagh’s v Coolderry Kinnitty M Kirwan 6.45 pm

Saturday 4th September

Aidan Bracken Building Design Senior Hurling Championship

Tullamore v Brosna Gaels O C P T Carroll 4.00 pm

St Rynagh’s v Lusmagh Banagher M Walsh 4.00 pm Coolderry v Seir Kieran Carraig P Freeman 4.00 pm

Kilcormac/Killoughey v Shamrocks Rath C Groome 4.00 pm

Kinnitty v Belmont Crinkle D Cooke 4.00 pm

Birr v Shinrone Ballyskenagh M Kirwan 4.00 pm

Aidan Bracken Building Design Junior B Hurling Championship Semi/Final

Brosna Gaels v Gracefield O C P T Carroll 2.00 pm

(extra time if necessary)

Aidan Bracken Building Design Junior B Hurling Championship Semi/Final

Coolderry v Lusmagh Banagher D Ward 2.00 pm

(extra time if necessary)

Saturday (contined)

Aidan Bracken Building Design Junior A Hurling Championship

St Rynagh’s v Ballinamere Banagher A Ryan 6.30 pm

Tullamore v Raheen O Brien Park C Buckley 6.30 pm

Kilcormac/Killoughey v Killeigh Kilcormac M Mahon 6.30 pm

Kinnitty v Shamrocks Kinnitty D Ward 6.30 pm

Seir Kieran v Drumcullen Clareen M Walsh 6.30 pm

Edenderry v Birr Edenderry M Carty 6.30 pm

Sunday 5th September

Division 1 Football League Final

Rhode v Tullamore Walsh Island M Carty 7.00 pm

Tullamore Court Hotel Junior A Football Championship Relegation Playoff
Ballinagar v Ballycommon Ballinagar E Cusack 12 noon

Minor A Football Championship

St Vincents v Clara Ballycommon N Cooney 11.30 pm

Tullamore v Edenderry O Brien Park C Costello 11.30 pm

St Broughans v Na Fianna Walsh Island J O Reilly 11.30 pm

St Rynaghs v Rod Og Cloughan M Mahon 11.30 pm

Ballycumber/T v Ferbane/B Ballycumber C Buckley 11.30 pm

Wednesday 8th September

Minor A Football Championship

Rod Og v Na Fianna Rhode J O Reilly 6.45 pm

Tullamore v St Rynaghs O Brien Park P Jordan 6.45 pm

Ferbane/Belmont v Edenderry Ferbane C Buckley 6.45 pm

Clara v St Broughans Clara M Mahon 6.45 pm

Ballycumber/Tubber v St Vincents Ballycumber B Gavin 6.45 pm

Minor B Football Championship

B/Durrow v Kilcormac/K Durrow C Costello 6.45 pm

Gracefield v Shamrocks Gracefield C Groome 6.45 pm

Thursday 9th September

Minor A Hurling Championship

Seir Kieran v Coolderry Clareen T Carroll 6.45 pm

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

O Connor park will suit Tullamore. I think they'll squeez past Brosna Gaels.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

St Rynaghs v Lusmagh in Banagher. That puts both Lusmagh and in this particular case Seir Kieran at a huge disadvantage.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

If you asked me I'd say Lusmagh have pulled a fast one here.
They offered to play the senior game in Banagher probably hoping the junior game would be fixed with it. Remember that regardless of how they get on in the senior they are heading for the relegation play offs, but for the junior team playing in Banagher should feel like a home venue having all attended school there and trained there.

P.S. there will be no shortage of rynaghs lads available to steward this fixture for sure
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Backofthewoods
Junior C

Post by Backofthewoods »

joe bloggs wrote:If you asked me I'd say Lusmagh have pulled a fast one here.
They offered to play the senior game in Banagher probably hoping the junior game would be fixed with it. Remember that regardless of how they get on in the senior they are heading for the relegation play offs, but for the junior team playing in Banagher should feel like a home venue having all attended school there and trained there.

P.S. there will be no shortage of rynaghs lads available to steward this fixture for sure
I agree Lusmagh have pulled a fast one here with the junior game but that is not the main reason. Lusmagh would only love to beat rynaghs on their own turf, there is extra pressure being put on rynaghs to win this one now and as we all know rynaghs arent the greatest team when it comes to dealing with pressure!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Rynagh's PR machine gets up and running.
joe bloggs wrote:If you asked me I'd say Lusmagh have pulled a fast one here..
Seems logical to play the match in Banagher. It's a nothing match where Lusmagh can't progress and a win for Rynagh's doesn't leave them any better or worse as they can't control who they meet in the next round. Perhaps the venue arrangement might be reciprocated in the future :?: :?: :) :)
And we can nip home for a sup o' tae between the Junior semi-final (2pm) and the Senior match (4pm). :)
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

footoftheblooms wrote:
kinnittyman wrote: You average one post a month and then you go mouthing off against a valued contributor!! What’s the story? And who is the referee and could you outline some poor decisions he seems to have made please?
Well for start he gave a penalty against lusmagh in the wrong, in the process of clearing the ball the fullback was clearly fouled and the ball ended up in the net. The last free Kevin Connolly won, where the corner back ran alongside connolly and the ball flew over there head, Groome gave a free in. Theres four points that Coolderry won band the amount of times Joe Brady threw the ball instead of a handpass was ridiculous!!!!
In fairness I think youre grasping at straws here footoftheblooms, I understand when you are in a relegation battle you have to fight for everything but you cannot blame referee's for the unfortunate situation Lusmagh find themselves in. If ye had played with the same heart and determination against every other team in the group as ye did against Coolderry ye could be easily looking forward to a quarter final. Whilst the ref made some dodgy calls (both ways by the way) I think most people have come to expect that traveling to hurling matches in Offaly the standard of refereeing is pretty bad in fairness.

Also i think it was very bad form of both Lusmagh Hurling Club and The Midland Tribune for printing the selectors comments basicly stating Coolderry were taking out Lusmaghs young players...this is really untrue, and if you remember there was a lot of belts in the game both ways, Martin Corcoran was split open by the full back, Kevin Connoly came on as a blood sub, caught one ball and was pulled across again. Brian Carroll was taken out by 3/4 Lusmagh players in the second half, although it perhaps was unintentional. I dont think anyone wants to see a good hurling club like Lusmagh get relegated and I dont think it will happen, But those comments were unwarranted and It stinks that a good publication like the Midland Tribune would publish such a one sided tirade against an opposing team and the referee who didnt deserve that.

sean
Junior C

Post by sean »

Just receieved a text from a friend with the following prices,not sure from what bookmakers

Kinnitty 2/9 Belmont 10/3
St Rynaghs 1/4 Lusmagh 11/4
K/K 1/25 Shamrocks 7/1
Tullamore 2/5 Brosna Gaels 15/8

Anyone fancy of these prices?? An accumulator on the favourites?