County senior football championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Re: County senior football championship

Post by Offaly2010 »

Clara beat Tullamore tonight, 0-17 - 1-8.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Yeah pretty harmless stuff last night, with both teams already through this was really a glorified challenge match and was certainly played at that pace too. The highlights of the night were superb point kicking from Tommo Deehan[ please get him back in the tri colour next year], John Reynolds and John O Hara, Tullamore's best forward was John Kenny who intelligent use of the ball was a joy to watch, Shane Kelly got the goal and had a decent hour too, Shane Dooley rested I would imagine with the hurlers in action next week and with little riding on this game.
The sooner the better we get to the quarter finals when the real action kicks in.

black and red exile
All Star

Oh I forgot to mention Matt Mitchell put in a fantastic display at center back, he is a superb reader of the game and quite alot of the Clara scores came from Mitchell charging into the opposing half and pinpointing the perfect pass for the resulting score, he also commands the half back line with great leadership and like john Kenny for the blues his use of the ball was terrific to watch. I know there is history there with Cribben and himself from last year but with our backs all over the place in 2010 surely he is worth having a chat with for next Spring.

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

Tubber 1-13 Walsh Island 1-13
The Island were winning this one 1-10 to 0-04 with about 20 minutes left when Tubber decided to get their act together and give it a lash. Mac kicked the equalizing point from a free with about a minute left. McManus dominated Brian Connor in the second half. The Island took some great scores at times but also missed quite a bit in the 1st half.

black and red exile
All Star

Shamrocks 1.9 Gracefield 0.6
A dire game that only improved marginally in the second half. It was 0.5 to 0.2 for Shamrocks at half time, Gracefield had their best spell midway through the second half and got level at 0.6 each. Nigel Dunne made a difference coming off the bench and kicked 2 points in the last quarter, when it was 0.8 to 0.6 Daniel Heffernan finished to the net to wrap it up. Shamrocks were the better team over the hour but Gracefield did kick some desperate wides. I have to say it's the weakest black and red I have seen for many a year, too many guys missing for this team to make an impact, it's a battle now to remain senior for next year :(

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Agree totally with black and red exile. Terrible terrible game.

Shamrocks are missing at least ten players from their panel this year, and Gracefield I would imagine must be in a similar position as they have fallen greatly from a club that were always competitive over the last decade.

Interesting to see how the Tullamore Clara game was lacking any intensity. Two clubs that would generally kick lumps out of each other. Personally I think this new format does nothing for the group games. 4 teams qualifying from a group is a bit of a joke. I know Tullamore benefited from this in Hurling last year but it does nothing for the group games.

Regarding Mitchell as a centre back for county. Yes he is a decent player, would offer alot more than Ross Brady. However, He is another one of the Deehan, Smith club who are a little too soft for the hard training and enjoy the nightlife.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

black and red exile wrote:Oh I forgot to mention Matt Mitchell put in a fantastic display at center back, he is a superb reader of the game and quite alot of the Clara scores came from Mitchell charging into the opposing half and pinpointing the perfect pass for the resulting score, he also commands the half back line with great leadership and like john Kenny for the blues his use of the ball was terrific to watch.
It works a treat for Clara, but at inter-county level that sort of play-making becomes risky business.
For Offaly I've seen him solo into trouble and concede dangerous turnovers a bit too often by trying the same stuff.

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Senior Football Championship state of play

WITH one round of games to go in the Tullamore Court Hotel SFC, five quarter-final slots are filled while only one team cannot reach the quarter finals and is thus set for the relegation play-offs. Below is a team by team breakdown.
Group 1
Clara: Job done. Top spot in Group 1 secured.

Tullamore: Quarter-final spot secured but would slip to third if they lose to Shamrocks.

Shamrocks: Need at least a point to secure a quarter-final spot but a win would move them up to second.

St Brigid's: Have a tough assignment against Clara to finish and will be hoping for a favourable result in the Ferbane v Gracefield encounter to stay in fourth.

Ferbane: Simply must win their final game to have any chance of making the quarter-finals. Also need St Brigid's to lose to Clara.

Gracefield: Need to beat Ferbane and also hope for a 16 turnaround on score difference over St Brigid's. Improbable but not impossible.

Group 2
Rhode: Cruising into the quarter-finals but need at least a point against Walsh Island to finish top.

Walsh Island: Will finish second at worst although a win over Rhode would put them top of the group.

Ballycumber: Guaranteed a quarter-final spot and a draw or better against Tubber will see them finish third.

Tubber: Need a win in their final outing to be sure as Edenderry could go past them on the final day.

Edenderry: Must win their final game against Erin Rovers to have any hope although that might not be enough depending on how Tubber fare.

Erin Rovers: All hope of reaching the quarter-finals is gone as even if they win and Tubber lose, Tubber have won the meeting between the sides which trumps score difference

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Just a question on this. In our situation, if we were to finish on the same points as Shamrocks (Big IF at this stage) would we not finish on top of Shamrocks due to beating them in our head-to-head?
The night is darkest before the dawn

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:Just a question on this. In our situation, if we were to finish on the same points as Shamrocks (Big IF at this stage) would we not finish on top of Shamrocks due to beating them in our head-to-head?
If Ferbane and Shamrocks are the only teams on four points, then yes. If three or more teams are, which could only happen if Brigids draw with Clara, then it goes to scoring difference.

Not going to happen though. Shamrocks are playing for their lives and Tullamore have nothing to play for - that result is an absolute foregone conclusion. The danger is that Clara have nothing to play for either. You'd say that they'd never lose to Brigids on current form, but then Daingean should never have lost to Clonmore Harps either, and look what happened when Daingean had their knockout place already in the bag. Clara would be 1/10 in a do or die game against Croghan, but right now it's no shorter than 1/2.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Just going off topic for a minute lads..
I would just like to say R.I.P to Pat Fitzgerald, life president of Gracefield G.A.A Club and father of All-Ireland medalists from 1982 with Offaly, Mick and Pat, who passed away on Monday.

R.I.P

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

The final group game between Ferbane and Gracefield is hugely important. Ferbane should win but then they should of beaten Brigids. Its a massive game for them. Win that and I see them finishing third and a meeting with WI. Gracefield are doomed to relegation playoff so hard to see them putting up too big a challenge. WI and Ferbane could go either way. All on the day with those two teams.

Tullamore even if they have already qualified should still take Shamrocks who have not impressed. Over the last decade or so Shamrocks generally have beaten the blues in the group stages but let the occasion get to them on final day when they met again.
Tullamore's results to date have not been impressive but when you look at the team sheets the blues is stronger this year. This would leave Shamrocks in 4th meeting Rhode. Handy win for Rhode.

club125
Senior

Post by club125 »

Getting off the Thread here but I'm looking for a result - JFC A Killeigh v Gracefield from last Sunday - was the game played and if so what was the result

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

club125 wrote:Getting off the Thread here but I'm looking for a result - JFC A Killeigh v Gracefield from last Sunday - was the game played and if so what was the result
No game wasn't played at all. Due to be played last Sunday evening but was called off for some reason and put back to Monday night but that wasn't played either due to Pat Fitzgerald's death.

club125
Senior

Post by club125 »

Thanks