County senior football championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Re: County senior football championship

Post by Offaly2010 »

Ballycumber vs Edenderry - Ballycumber
Rhode vs Tubber - Rhode
Ferbane vs Clara - Clara
Erin Rovers vs Walsh Island - Walsh Island
Shamrocks vs St Brigids - Shamrocks

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Ballycumber vs Edenderry- Ballycumber
Rhode vs Tubber- Rhode
Ferbane vs Clara- Clara
Erin Rovers vs Walsh Island- Walsh Island
Shamrocks vs St Brigids- St Brigids
Gracefield vs Super Blues- Tullamore

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Offaly SFC Hot Shots

AFTER two rounds of the Tullamore Court Hotel Offaly SFC, Offaly goalkeeper Alan Mulhall leads the scoring charts with 2-8 to his credit with Rory Guinan and Thomas Deehan in hot pursuit.
Championship Hot Shots

Alan Mulhall (Walsh Island) 2-8 (0-6f)
Rory Guinan (Ballycumber) 0-12 (0-6f)
Thomas Deehan (Clara) 1-9 (0-4f)
Ken Casey (St Brigid's) 0-9 (0-7f, 0-1 '45)
Mark Young (Edenderry) 0-8 (0-5f)
PJ Ward (Shamrocks) 0-8 (0-2f)
Ciaran McManus (Tubber) 1-5 (0-3f)
Willie Mulhall (Walsh Island) 1-4
Ciaran Kenny (Ferbane) 1-4
Michael Grennan (Tubber) 1-4
Shane Dooley (Tullamore) 0-7 (0-3f)
Bernard Allen (Tubber) 0-6 (0-1f)

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Tullamore beat Gracefield tonight on a scoreline of 2-10 - 1-9. One of very few positives for Gracefield tonight was Niall Smith's fielding, an absolutely fantastic sight!

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Offaly2010, you're right Smith was fantastic, Ruairi Allen, Peter Smart and to a lesser extent Kieran McEvoy played their part too. Can you answer me this? Why didn't Robbie Knight start? he caused the blues alot of problems when he came on in the second half and scored a lovely point, Is it a fitness problem? Tullamore were the better side no doubt, excellent backs, good to see James Keane back in the fold, Paul McConway and Gary Heffernan stood out in defence too, Michael Brazil had a stormer at wing forward, he seemed to cover every blade of grass and John Donoghue scored the blues 2 goals, Shane Dooley and Shane Kelly chipped in with a couple of points a piece too, I must say I was also impressed with No 11 Kevin Williamson, held possession very well and never wasted a ball all night, saw him play for Offaly on the O'Byrne cup last January and then he was dropped straight away surprisingly :? By the way I could be wrong but was the final score not 2.11 to 1.9? as I said I could be wrong, there was no scoreboard operator so we had to do the sums :)

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

As you say, we had to do the sums and I had it 2-10 but you could be right with 2-11.

Yep,it's a fitness problem with Robbie Knight I think. He pulled up in training during the week so I'd say thats why he didn't start. I would agree with you about Tullamore being the best team but Gracefield were always there or there abouts on the scoreboard and maybe with a little bit more composure up front it could have been a different result but fair play to Tullamore,deserved their win.

Think I'll head over to OCP now for d'Island vs Pullough and Rhode vs Tubber, hopefully two good games.

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

Rhode 1-17 Tubber 1-6
It may seem like a convincing victory for Rhode but in truth they were not that great. Tubber produced one of the most awful displays of score-taking I've ever seen in the second half. I reckon they missed 1-9. Tubber dominated midfield and had many chances in the forward line. Bare in mind that Tubber were missing forward Brian Kelly who is still in the USA. Against a team like Clara who have forwards who don't lack confidence and who will not be afraid to score(Unlike Tubber) , Rhode could be in trouble.

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

In the other game at OCP today Walsh Island and Erin Rovers played out a draw on a scoreline of:
Walsh Island 0-14 - 2-8 Erin Rovers.

Walsh Island really threw that game away today,4 points up with a minute to go and Pullough pull a draw out of the bag with a goal and a point in the dying seconds.

black and red exile
All Star

Yeah the Island v Rovers game was a good contest, the Island will feel they threw it away after being in total control in the second half. the second game was crap, Tubber are useless, game over at half time 0.11 to 1.1, Rhode just took their foot off the gas in the second half, Niall Mac gave an exibition scoring 1.9[1.6 from play] Tubber In my opinion certs for relegation, they are by far the worse team I've seen so far.

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

black and red exile wrote:Yeah the Island v Rovers game was a good contest, the Island will feel they threw it away after being in total control in the second half. the second game was crap, Tubber are useless, game over at half time 0.11 to 1.1, Rhode just took their foot off the gas in the second half, Niall Mac gave an exibition scoring 1.9[1.6 from play] Tubber In my opinion certs for relegation, they are by far the worse team I've seen so far.

Then how come they hammered Erin Rovers without 3 starting players?

black and red exile
All Star

In the 2 games tonight Rovers showed alot of grit and determination to get the draw, Tubber showed nothing, tonight they were missing 4 players and there is the problem, with the pick they have they can't afford to lose even one let alone 4, yes they beat rovers, with a local derby like that anything can happen and on the night Tubber deserved to win but if they met again I would put my morgage on rovers. Tubber are playing Walsh Island next weekend and it's very difficult to see them getting anything there, they can thank their lucky stars that Rhode went for a stroll for 20 mins of the second half.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Would losing to Clonmore Harps be considered a new low for Daingean?
Daingean Exile wrote:
jimbob17 wrote: on a totally different note, its a crying shame there isnt a st vincents senior team with all the good young players that have gone thro good co minor teams in the past few years. likes of Noel graham, ger treacey, mangans, Mattie Brazil, Manns, Liam Brennan, fergal beacon, david carroll who will never get to play senior championship football. their are some outstanding young players in vincents underage too that cant look forward to it when they are older either. their clubs are codding themselves if they think they will get there on their own. small town politics is probably the overiding factor though. narrow minded approach typifies offaly GAA admin people anyway though. even if they didnt join as one club it should be looked at like they do in kerry with the tralee junior clubs joining to play with St Brendans at senior and still play in the junior with their own clubs. :evil:
Agree 100%. There has always been a debate in Daingean parish about amalgamating the parish teams to put a team out that could compete at senior level. For the young players who grow up playing together from Daingean, Kilclonfert, Cappincur and Ballycommon at underage level its incongruous that suddenly at senior age they no longer have an avenue to play on the same team. Other posters here like Lone Shark have laid out ways to resolve this issue which surely doesn't apply solely to St. Vincents. The powers that be in Offaly GAA should be looking at other counties and adopt formats that have proved successful in order to create a more cohesive Gaelic Football and Hurling senior championship that should benefit the county teams. The Kerry model in organising their senior championship football is the obvious one to be looking at.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Daingean Exile
Junior A

Post by Daingean Exile »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Would losing to Clonmore Harps be considered a new low for Daingean?
All the more reason to amalgamate the Daingean parish teams if anything.

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Shamrocks beat Brigids in Gracefield tonight, 0-13 - 0-8.

ballinamereman1
County player

Post by ballinamereman1 »

what was tjhe shamrocks croghan match like lads.? hows the rahan parish shapen up now.. last saw them they were terrible..