Antrim in AI Q/F

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Phoenix Arms
Junior B

Antrim in AI Q/F

Post by Phoenix Arms »

Would Offaly have been better off losing to Antrim in the Leinster championship? Losing offered the Saffrons a handier route to the All Ireland quarter final. And they only got this route due to the fact that certain combinations couldn't meet again in the championship.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Antrim in AI Q/F

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I expect Antrim to give Cork loads of it on Sunday. The momentum is with them & they've a physically strong team. Cork are picking up injuries and while injuries in attack aren't critical, injuries in defense can be crippling. That's where Cork are clocking up the injuries. Seán Óg Ó hAilpín is codding himself if he thinks he can recover from a hamstring injury in two weeks. Can't be done - even if you're a trade union official! I watched a recording of the first half of the replayed Munster Final during the week. What a horrendous match - only for I could clearly recognise the Thurles Stands I would have thought I was watching a bad Ulster football final. Puke hurling. And I'd be really want to be stuck for something to do before I go back to watch the second half. As for Sunday, Antrim will hardly carry the belief required to really see it through - only for that I'd tip them.

Hard to know about Galway & Tip'rary. Galway have clear weaknesses in the half-forward line and Tip'rary's half-back line is strong. If Joe Canning & Damien Hayes don't produce scores then no-one else will. Canning should be taking the frees - you need your leading marksman to have his eye in. Their tendancy to fade from matches should have alarm bells ringing. David Burke will be a big addition though. He, not Farragher, should have been on The Sunday Game's team-of-the-year-so-far. Certainly Farragher hasn't been the best midfielder in his own county, never mind the whole country. Tip'rary's half forward line doesn't convince either. Note how so many of their scores came from Offaly mistakes the last day, when they picked up so many misplaced clearances and put them straight back over the bar. Offaly did alot of hurling in the first half in that sector last week. A big thing was made about how about eight players scored one point apiece, but I think it's a worry that so many attackers only scored the once. On a form line through Offaly, then Tip'rary should win. I remain a Galway sceptic but they are capable of raising their game for Tip'rary. If they do then the fadeout mightn't materialise. Reverse logic suggests a Galway win. If only to silence the gobschytes on Provoview, with all their 'Mattie' bullschyte. And to shut up the Tip'rary pryck who was shouting out "go home to Birr ye're bet" as I left O'Moore Park last Sunday.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Phoenix Arms wrote:Would Offaly have been better off losing to Antrim in the Leinster championship? Losing offered the Saffrons a handier route to the All Ireland quarter final. And they only got this route due to the fact that certain combinations couldn't meet again in the championship.
No.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Phoenix Arms wrote:Would Offaly have been better off losing to Antrim in the Leinster championship? Losing offered the Saffrons a handier route to the All Ireland quarter final. And they only got this route due to the fact that certain combinations couldn't meet again in the championship.
No, if Offaly lost to Antrim, they could have drawn Tipperary in phase 1. Also Offaly had a handy draw in phase 2-Limerick! Also Dublin would not have being considered an easy draw for Antrim in phase 3.
At least Antrim will play today's Al Irl Q-F in better shape than they would have under the old system. In the 80's they and Galway went straight into an All S-f having played 1 or usually no previous match. In the late 90's and early 2000's they went into All Q-F pretty much the same. As much as we give out about the championship structure we have now, thank God things have improved an awful lot. Antrim go into today's game having played Offaly, Down, Carlow and Dublin in championship games and they will be a much better team because of it. They can feel they are there on merit. I agree with Plain of Herbs and think/hope Antrim will give account of themselves today. However Cork will prevail.
Galway have played Wexford, Offaly (twice) & Kilkenny and likewise head into today's game with plenty of championship experience. On form over last couple of games Tipp should win, but Galway will really be up for Tipp and have had few weeks to prepare, so this game could go either way. Could even be another draw for Gal but I've a feeling Gal will sneak it.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Slieve Bloom Man wrote:I've a feeling Gal will sneak it.
If Damien Hayes and Joe Canning are on form then Galway obviously have a chance but I just can't see the Galway backs holding the Tipp full-forward line for 70 minutes so Tipp by 5 for me.