Minor v kilkenny

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
old yellar
All Star

Minor v kilkenny

Post by old yellar »

i got the result but i heard it wasnt a fair reflection on the match. A few lads missing to injury doesnt help either. Any reports on it?

caman11
Junior C

Re: Minor v kilkenny

Post by caman11 »

Jesus I'd love to be positive about it but it really was a rout. Sad to see.
Offaly had a few poor misses in the firt half and maybe, maybe, could feel that they should have been closer at the break.
In the second half Kilkenny tore into them and the lads had no answer. The full foward for Kilkenny, Alwayd I think, did serious damage, and offaly were playing poor ball into the full forwards who really were not compeeting

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

this was a leinster semi final, but very little interest in the youth it seems..

Biffo Army
Intermediate

Post by Biffo Army »

Well old yellar..

Offaly were playing second fiddle for most of this encounter. KK were scoring at their ease for much of this game and capitalised on most of Offaly's mistakes.
particularly a five minute spell in first half when full forward Ger Aylward cleaned out Pat Camon....Sean Dolan seemed to steady the ship but unfortunately the damage was done at this stage. Offaly management were slow to make changes, Cleary at center back could have and should have been switched with Murphy on the wing and possibly Cleary being taken off altogether.....Midfield struggled, which was a shame cos the two Coolderry lads are good hurlers. Clancy in goal saved Offaly on a number of occasions, he looks like a great prospect. In the forwards Tom Carroll is a serious talent, and tried his best on Sunday but he had little support from a poor Offaly attack. Kealey is a workhorse, Cleary struggled to get possesion, Kelly fared okay on the wing, but struggled when put into the corner, Quirke is nippy and won a few frees, Hynes disappointed me having watched him in previous games. I thought Kevin Waters in the corner back position for Offaly was a real battler, as was Murphy on the wing, Aodhan Kealey was a strange decision to take him off considering his aerial threat, when he went off, all Offaly's puck outs went towards Carroll. In saying all that, had Niall Wynne's shot gone in, in the second half it would have made it 1-16 to 1-12, however it was saved and KK went up the field and scored a goal and a few points to widen the gap and ensure that the last few minutes turned into shooting practice!
The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

Yes it's a pity, the U21's got hammered and everyone was on posting away about underage structures, then with the Senior Results everyone was congratulating themselves. But then again, is it any good just posting here, giving out?

I suppose when you think about it, we should be starting in the schools, right down at the bottom. Would be great to see a good few more hurlers becoming National School teachers, have the young lads out every day at lunch time hurling and then you wouldn't have to worry too much about trying to share a few coaches around all the National Schools.

Then you can start looking at developing/improving other structures as these kids move into secondary etc.

Building blocks, not going to win anything straight way but would give you a platform to work on.