Diarmuid Horan off the panel

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
leinsterman
All Star

Diarmuid Horan off the panel

Post by leinsterman »

I heard this in tullamore on sunday and its a big blow to offaly, offaly can't afford to lose a player with the talent
that horan has. does anyone else know what the reason is or what is going on offaly need young horan on the team.

esb_lad
Junior A
Club: Rynaghs

Re: Diarmuid Horan off the panel

Post by esb_lad »

huge loss :O .. really could do with him now.. is he injured ?

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

esb_lad wrote:huge loss :O .. really could do with him now.. is he injured ?
no its nothing to do with a injured anyway, he was in a tracksuit in front of me at the galway game in salthill and didn't
look hurt to me. i think there's something else going on, joe dooley should try to get him back we don't have the
hurlers that we had in the 80s or 90s now to lose someone like horan.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Heard this yesterday.
Offaly's best player, needed in either the backs or forwards, A massive, massive loss.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:Heard this yesterday.
Offaly's best player, needed in both the backs and forwards, A massive, massive loss.
Fixed that for you!

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

Why is he gone off the panel?

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
Offaly's best player, needed in both the backs and forwards, A massive, massive loss.
Fixed that for you!
Sound!
It's two of the likes of him we need not none. Cloning could work, where's Professor Frink when you need him?

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote:
Fixed that for you!
Sound!
It's two of the likes of him we need not none. Cloning could work, where's Professor Frink when you need him?
any chance of frink making another sid or johnny p when he is at it :lol:

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

hes not offaly's best hurler in fairness lads...but he would definately be in the top 15.

He chose three months traveling last year over county hurling so id say his commitment to the cause might be less than 100%

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

backofthenet wrote:hes not offaly's best hurler in fairness lads...but he would definately be in the top 15.

He chose three months traveling last year over county hurling so id say his commitment to the cause might be less than 100%
yes i think you have hit the nail on the head there, its a pity.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Reverse the truck here a minute.

Hurling and football are amateur games (last time I checked) and Diarmuid Horan (and everybody else) is quite free to go abroad travelling if they want to. In fact young people should be encouraged to go travelling. Diarmuid and everybody else are not under contract to hurl or kick football.

Diarmuid Horan has had his career interrupted by injury several times in the last few years. Perhaps he needs a break from almost constant rehab.

GAA players do it for their own enjoyment, primarily. I can understand that sometimes it becomes a drag, the enjoyment goes out of it and it just isn’t worth it. I certainly wouldn’t question the commitment of any GAA player on a whim as has been done here.

And don’t anyone bother arguing that point.
backofthenet wrote:He chose three months traveling last year over county hurling so id say his commitment to the cause might be less than 100%
On a separate, but not unrelated point. I’ve a problem with the ordinary observers using the first person plural when referring to GAA players. We should understand that ‘we’ do not run around in the winter’s muck and while we are free to offer our observations ‘we’ do not understand the game the way those who play it do. As Arrigle’s signature reads “it’s their game and they are best at it”.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Reverse the truck here a minute.

Hurling and football are amateur games (last time I checked) and Diarmuid Horan (and everybody else) is quite free to go abroad travelling if they want to. In fact young people should be encouraged to go travelling. Diarmuid and everybody else are not under contract to hurl or kick football.

Diarmuid Horan has had his career interrupted by injury several times in the last few years. Perhaps he needs a break from almost constant rehab.

GAA players do it for their own enjoyment, primarily. I can understand that sometimes it becomes a drag, the enjoyment goes out of it and it just isn’t worth it. I certainly wouldn’t question the commitment of any GAA player on a whim as has been done here.

And don’t anyone bother arguing that point.
backofthenet wrote:He chose three months traveling last year over county hurling so id say his commitment to the cause might be less than 100%
On a separate, but not unrelated point. I’ve a problem with the ordinary observers using the first person plural when referring to GAA players. We should understand that ‘we’ do not run around in the winter’s muck and while we are free to offer our observations ‘we’ do not understand the game the way those who play it do. As Arrigle’s signature reads “it’s their game and they are best at it”.
no but we are the ones who pay 15 euro and spend money going around the country watching them so we are entitle
to give our opinion on players or the team if needs be.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Lads,

As far as I know all this Diarmuid Horan talk is way off. Firstly anyone who questions his commitment make sure they know the chap first before jumping to those sort of conclusions. Also he was completley correct to go to the States for the Summer.

Secondly to the best of my knowledge the following happened- On the Tuesday after the Kilkenny match the panel returned to Kilkenny for a fitness test which was followed by a fitness training session in which both Diarmuid Horan and Odhran Kealey did serious damage to their hamstrings. Now why management decided a fitness session was needed after a fitness test is anyones guess but thats their prerogative. As far as I know this is the reason behind his absence so Leinsterman your crap about seeing him in Galway not with the panel and subsequent two plus two equals five crap might best be retracted.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

kinnittyman wrote:Lads,

As far as I know all this Diarmuid Horan talk is way off. Firstly anyone who questions his commitment make sure they know the chap first before jumping to those sort of conclusions. Also he was completley correct to go to the States for the Summer.

Secondly to the best of my knowledge the following happened- On the Tuesday after the Kilkenny match the panel returned to Kilkenny for a fitness test which was followed by a fitness training session in which both Diarmuid Horan and Odhran Kealey did serious damage to their hamstrings. Now why management decided a fitness session was needed after a fitness test is anyones guess but thats their prerogative. As far as I know this is the reason behind his absence so Leinsterman your crap about seeing him in Galway not with the panel and subsequent two plus two equals five crap might best be retracted.
if you go back and see what i said you will see your the one talking crap kinnittyman, i said he was in front of me on the sideline with a offaly tracksuite on him
in which he was against galway himself and ger healion were hitting the ball to one another at half time, maybe if you were at the match kinnittyman you
would know what iam talking about. plus i never said he was not with the panel

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

This is what you typed:-
leinsterman wrote:no its nothing to do with a injured anyway, he was in a tracksuit in front of me at the galway game in salthill and didn't
look hurt to me. i think there's something else going on, joe dooley should try to get him back we don't have the
hurlers that we had in the 80s or 90s now to lose someone like horan.
Obviously if he sustained a hamstring injury he's not going to be in a wheelchair, on crutches, in a plastercast or have sticches in place. Anyone you meet on the street might be carrying a muscular injury, it's not going to be obvious. This is like going back to the dark ages when you had to be bleeding profusely in order to convince anyone you had an injury.

Kinnittyman doesn't talk crap either. His opinion is valued on this site.
leinsterman wrote:if you go back and see what i said you will see your the one talking crap kinnittyman, i said he was in front of me on the sideline with a offaly tracksuite on him
in which he was against galway himself and ger healion were hitting the ball to one another at half time, maybe if you were at the match kinnittyman you
would know what iam talking about. plus i never said he was not with the panel
Oh, and I've bad news for you. Your fifteen quid doesn't entitle you to anything as regards player performance. You make the decision to travel far and wide and that's up to you. It doesn't entitle you to anything in return. Players are doing this for themselves. It sounds selfish and I sometimes think there is a selfishness there when players' families and friends become secondary while players strive to attain peak condition.

You are of course entitled to comment on performances under the liberties of free speech. However, I don't think any of us hold any entitlement to question players' commitment on a whim as has happened here, particularly when players give an enormous voluntary commitment to a hobby that takes over their lives. I know it wasn't you who did so, it was another poster, but you're the one who protested you were entitled to 'give your opinions'.
As for this, all I can say is - Aaww Fcuk :( :(
kinnittyman wrote:in which both Diarmuid Horan and Odhran Kealey did serious damage to their hamstrings
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.