Tommy Murphy Cup

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
The Biff
All Star

Tommy Murphy Cup

Post by The Biff »

Anyone know why Offaly have not entered this competition? Do "we" feel that it is beneath us?

The 11 teams entering the draw are London, Roscommon, Carlow, Kilkenny, Wicklow, Longford, Tipperary, Waterford, Fermanagh, Antrim and the losers of Sunday's second round qualifier between Wexford and Monaghan.

So it's good enough for Carlow, who beat us this year. Would the extra games not be useful, even at this stage of the year, if only to get a winning habit/feeling back again?

Or is there too much at risk if we were to actually lose again? :shock:

Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh
Senior

Post by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh »

12 Teams in it actually

MURPHY CUP DRAW, RD 1:
(Venues, throw-in times TBC)
July 16 : Fermanagh v Carlow
July 16 : Tipperary v Leitrim
July 16 : London v Kilkenny
July 16 : Longford v Wicklow

BYES : Roscommon, Waterford, Antrim, Monaghan/Wexford.

I believe Offaly are so disorgainised at the moment that further humiliation in the Tommy Murphy Cup could be very damging. Also it would disrupt the Club Championships which we don't need!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I don't see any huge benefit for Offaly entering this thing, and I'd say after the year gone by the players are as well take some time away from the county scene.

Regarding why we're not in, I think if you've won a provincial title in the last ten years it's supposed to knock you out of it - hence the absence of ourselves and Westmeath.

What that doesn't explain is how Roscommon got in there. Whether some sadist wants to see them humiliate themselves even more or something I don't know.
Last edited by Lone Shark on Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

I'd be against offaly entering this sort of thing.
They'd probably do ok in it, and then the feeling might be that we're all in the county. we're not though. we're better start from rock bottom

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Interesting post from the archives here which i found with views about the tommy Murphy cup. Looking back we were at rock bottom in 2005 and weren't eligible to enter this. We came on a bit last year and now unless we reach the leinster final we will be playing in the Tommy Murphy cup.

IF we end up in this event, I still think we shouldn't play in it. We should just pull out.

There's a number of reasons

1. Look back at all the Offaly greats over the years from the 60s and 70s and all the old heroes and great supporters, there's no way we should enter into this, it's humiliating to the memory of them.

2. We should have the lads play competitive club games instead. If the GAA want to punish the county for this we should take a stand.

3. I see no benefit in it anyways. Clare and Tipp that won it before have still not progressed in anyways. I would be fearful we would go further backwards if we enter this. Yea, Louth won it last year but the notion that it will be of any benefit playing 3 division 4 teams and getting a croke park appearance, sorry, it's just embarassing.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I'd play it and give the fringe players on the panel a run.
Lads who have done as much training as the starting 15 but haven't got much playing time all year.

Whatever happened Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh?

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Bord na Mona man wrote:I'd play it and give the fringe players on the panel a run.
Lads who have done as much training as the starting 15 but haven't got much playing time all year.

Whatever happened Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh?

No I disagree, these guys should be competing with their clubs making an impact and not competing in a humiliating shambles.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I don't really know where I stand on this. On the one hand I'd love to see a development team go out and play in this, however I'm sure just as much as Rhode don't want to be losing Niall to go and play in some tin pot cup like this, so it would be with Ferbane and Aidan Keenaghan, or Brigid's and David Egan, or whoever.

I know this - I wouldn't want to see proven players playing in it, no point, and I certainly wouldn't want to see under 21s being asked to play in this on top of everyone else.

peter
Junior A

Post by peter »

Play it, but use it like eddie o sullivan used the tour of argentina, would give alot of lads a chance. Plus ya make your own bed ya lay in it.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

If we were to lose to Carlow on Sunday on top of the league campaign we have had then the evidence would suggest that Tommy Murphy is the level we are at.

But I am not convinced we are at that level. If we win and go on to prove our worth (even in a narrow defeat) aginst Dublin and Meath then I would say bail out and concentrate on club.

BTW it's a great pity Meath did not manage a win last week, I think Offaly could feel well capable of a win against the Royals.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Our boys will pole axe Carlow and Meath will win the replay.

Even from the depths of Division 4 we are still relevant.

UP THE FAITHFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

I'm confident of a win at the weekend and then let's hope it's Meath in the semi. I'm convinced we'd beat them but the Dubs are a typical town team and unless we got off to a good start the showman element would come out with them.
Anyway, not to look too far forward. Sunday is a must win and I think the Tommy Murphy cup will actually focus the lads more, they don't want to be in this at all.

Sydthebeat
All Star

Post by Sydthebeat »

surely its complusory to enter this if thats how it turns out????

how insulting is it for the other teams in it if we were to say 'this competition is beneath us, we're not playing in it'..????

Oskar
Intermediate
Club: Clara

Post by Oskar »

It will be doubly humiliating if we don't win the thing.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Sydthebeat wrote:surely its complusory to enter this if thats how it turns out????

how insulting is it for the other teams in it if we were to say 'this competition is beneath us, we're not playing in it'..????
Hi Syd,

this isn't our issue. They can't make us play it - what can they do - call the Tommy Murphy police?