Under 21 Team for Wednesday Night

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Biffo Army
Intermediate

Under 21 Team for Wednesday Night

Post by Biffo Army »

The team for Wednesday is the following:

James Dempsey

Barry Harding, Stephen Wynne, Brian Coughlan

Derek Morkan (C), Eanna Murphy, Timmy Gilmore

Dermot Mooney, Conor Mahon

James Mulrooney, Daniel Currams, Mark Egan

Odhran Kealey, Brian Leonard, James Gorman

Not sure of the subs, I supppose they are something like this:

Eoin Kelly
Colin Egan (very suprised at his omission)
Donal Coughlan
Paul Quirke
Joseph Connors
Cillian Leonard
Ger Scales
Aaron Whelahan

I dont think thats this is a bad team in fairness. Very limited bench though, however I may be leaving some names out there.
Just a shame that they have had such little preparation to go down to Kilkenny and play the regining champions.
Best of luck to them anyway!!
The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Under 21 Team for Wednesday Night

Post by Bord na Mona man »

What are the chances of Diarmuid Horan being a late addition to the subs, or has he left the country yet?
Egan on the bench a bit surprising, but the forward line looks decent.
The backs will be under pressure. We can't let Kilkenny win clean catches.
How are we for pace in the backline?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Actually I think we'd be better off with Colin Egan in the half forwards to contest puckouts.
I presume Mark Egan will be switching into the FF line and Brian Leonard moving out at some stage?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Haven't see much club hurling this year so I can't speak with regard to form, but yes it does seem odd that a guy who was one of offaly's best fielders of a ball at this age group last year is suddenly dropped.

You would have to assume that Mark Egan would move inwards, however it may just be a policy not to puckouts down on top of him, instead playing them out to the right wing or down the middle. Brian Leonard at full forward will probably be expected to make some inroads under the high ball at the edge of the square, though it remains to be seen if he can finish scores as well as will be needed.

Very far back for Harding to be lining out as well. Would have guessed that he'd be in the half line.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Biffo Army
Intermediate

Post by Biffo Army »

As far as I know Diarmuid Horan has left, unfortunately!

Yeah very surprised we dont have Colin Egan at center forward, he was immense there last year
in semi final against Wexford, I think he scored four points from play if memory serves me correct.
I suppose it could well be a case of form at training which of course we dont really know much about.

With Richie Hogan, John Mulhall and Colin Fennelly alone in the forwards for the Cats, it would seem that
our backline will be under serious pressure all evening. Thats of course if Hogan is playing, I know he didnt
play in the previous round against Laois.

In terms of pace in our backline, in fairness to Harding and Wynne they wont struggle,
one thing I find with Wynne is that he always seems to hold the hurl very long, leading to him
getting hooked or bloacked far too often, but I think he is handy enough,
cant really comment on Brian Coughlan to be honest, havent seem alot of him.
On the half back line, Morkan is a very quick stylish player,
Murphy will just have to hold his position and not be dragged all over the park.
Then Gilmore on the other side, new position for him, normally a forward for Ryanghs.
But apparently is hurling very well.

Mahon will work his socks off in the middle of the field, but I honestly believe he just doesnt possess the hurling. Mooney may
be a surprise to partner him in the middle, but I think he probably has done enough with Clareen to merit his inclusion here.

In the forwards as I have said Colin Egan is the suprise omission here, especially as Currams seems to be really struggling for form
at the moment. I'd reckon we could do with Mark Egan inside and James Gorman out on the wing to try and win our own puck outs.
Mark Egan always seems more comfortable closer to goal too. I'd leave Leonard in there to break ball then for the two nippy corner
forwards then.
The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

KK team:

1. Colin McGrath

2. Paul Murphy
3.Andy Kearns
4.Conor Fogarty

5.Lester Ryan
6.David Langton
7.James Dowling

8.Mark Kelly
9.Martin Walsh

10. Colin Fennelly
11. Johnjo Farrell
12. John Mulhall

13. Mark Bergin
14. Richard Hogan
15. Liam Ryan

Subs.
Eoin Murphy (GK)
Paddy Nolan
James Nolan
Shane Maher,
Michael Walsh
Kieran Mooney
David Lyng
Nicky Cleere
Joe Brennan.

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

Many travelling to this? Im going straight from work..

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

where is this match?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

uibhfhailiabu
County player

Post by uibhfhailiabu »

Hopefully travelling myself, know a good few around that are going aswell.
True Red wrote:where is this match?

Its in Nowlan Park in Kilkenny @ 7.30 p.m.
Keep The Faith

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Hope there is a decent crowd travelling to support the lads tomorrow night but with the game being midweek and a fair distance for alot of people I wouldn't hold my breath. We can't even get support at our home games at weekends so what chance is there of people leaving their coronation street on a Wednesday evening to travel to Kilkenny :x

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

il be going down after work will be cutting it tight but should just about make it .i wouldnt hold my breath bout there being many from offaly there when we are probaly the worst supported county in ireland .its terrible to say but the majority of offaly people do not give a fuck bout their county .
great history hoping for a better future

Arrigle
Junior B

Post by Arrigle »

Lads, I have to write a report (for a website, not for a paper) on this semi-final and I just wanted to get the clubs and the names right. I don't trust programmes and I doubt there'll be anything on it tomorrow evening mentioning St Saran's. Here is what I have on the first XV named and the possible subs, based on looking at this site, which is a mine of information and very interesting. Fair play to ye.

OFFALY James Dempsey (Kinnitty), Barry Harding (Birr? St Brendan's), Stephen Wynne (St Rynagh’s), Brian Coughlan (Kinnitty), Derek Morkan (Shinrone) captain, Éanna Murphy (Seir Kieran), Timmy Gilmore (St Rynagh’s), Conor Mahon (Kilcormac-Killoughey), Dermot Mooney (Seir Kieran), James Mulrooney (Seir Kieran), Daniel Currams (Kilcormac-Killoughey), Mark Egan (St Saran’s), Ódhrán Kealey (Kinnitty), Brian Leonard (Kilcormac-Killoughey), James Gorman (Kilcormac-Killoughey).

Subs: Eoin Kelly (St Saran’s), Colin Egan (St Saran’s), Dónal Coughlan (Seir Kieran), Paul Quirke (St Rynagh’s), Joseph Connors (Seir Kieran), C/Killian Leonard (Kilcormac-Killoughey), Ger Scales (St Rynagh’s), Aaron Whelahan (Birr).

Mainly, I am just wondering whether there are any more outfits this season such as St Saran's (which I gather is a Belmont/Lusmagh amalgamation at U21 for 2009). Have any other clubs made this merger for 2009, which would affect the proper listing, since the outfit named should be the one for which the player hurled internally at U21 in the given season, to my way of thinking? Who are 'St Mary's', 'Malachy's', 'Ballinamere', 'Na Fianna' -- and how does it affect listed clubs for panel?

Two other things. 1. Is it Cillian or Killian Leonard? 2. What's the story with the family's preference with fadas on 'Ódhrán' (could be different ways, depending on pronounciation) and is the surname properly 'Kealey', 'Keely' or 'Kealy'?

Last thing: I've seen mention, scrolling through very quick, to Kilcormac-Killoughey's U21 side in 2008 being known as 'Kilcormac-Killoughey Gaels'. If I read right, was this name an amalgamation? And does it exist for 2009?

Thanks very much for any help. And best of luck.
Last edited by Arrigle on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

uibhfhailiabu
County player

Post by uibhfhailiabu »

Arrigle wrote:Two other things. 1. Is it Cillian or Killian Leonard? 2. What's the story with the family's preference with fadas on 'Ódhrán' (could be different ways, depending on pronounciation) and is the surname properly 'Kealey', 'Keely' or 'Kealy'?

Last thing: I've seen mention, scrolling through very quick, to Kilcormac-Killoughey's U21 side in 2008 being known as 'Kilcormac-Killoughey Gaels'. If I read right, was this name an amalgamation? And does it exist for 2009?
1. It is spelled Killian Leonard. Not sure on the fadas and kealey is the correct spelling.

2. Kilcormac/Killoughey u-21 side amalgamated with Drumcullen for 2008 and were then called Kilcormac/Killoughey Gaels. This amalgamation has been discontinued this year and they are just Kilcormac/Killoughey.
Keep The Faith

Arrigle
Junior B

Post by Arrigle »

uibhfhailiabu wrote: 1. It is spelled Killian Leonard. Not sure on the fadas and kealey is the correct spelling.

2. Kilcormac/Killoughey u-21 side amalgamated with Drumcullen for 2008 and were then called Kilcormac/Killoughey Gaels. This amalgamation has been discontinued this year and they are just Kilcormac/Killoughey.

Thanks again. I'll perhaps come back with a few other specific questions when I see the programme this evening.

Arrigle
Junior B

Post by Arrigle »

Three other questions, if I may:

1. Do the Shinrone U21s play as 'St Mary's'?

2. Do the Seir Kieran U21s play as 'Clareen' or is this just a familiar way of referring to the club overall?

3. I presume Barry Harding hurled U21 club in 2009 with St Brendan's'?