Kildare vs Offaly - 2009 Football Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Kildare vs Offaly - 2009 Football Championship

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Does anyone know what happended here?
Would either player pick up a suspension?

McGeeney fuming at ref justice
13 April 2009

Kieran McGeeney stopped just short of blasting Cavan referee Joe McQuillan after both Dermot Earley and Ronan Sweeney were sent off on straight red cards in Kildare's drawn NFL clash with Meath.

Earley and Sweeney were both dismissed in the dying minutes as the Royals came from three points down to force a 1-12 to 2-9 draw, and deny McGeeney's side promotion in the process.

"It's very hard, I'm not allowed to comment," said the retrained Kildare boss, who was clearly mindful of incurring a suspension ahead of the championship.

"But it's beyond me why they came up with new rules when they won't bloody enforce the old ones.
"Sometimes when things happen it's a throw-up ball, sometimes when the same thing happens it's a free kick. It's impossible to make head or tail of them. Impossible.

"For some unknown reason, they (referees) are the only group who are beyond reproach. Players aren't, managers aren't, Croke Park aren't but they (referees) are. If I talk, someone will have a big smile in Croke Park and give me four or six weeks (of a suspension) and be delighted to do so.

"I wouldn't have enough grasp of the English language to explain what I would think of that out there."

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Re: Kildare vs Offaly - 2009 Football Championship

According to Hoganstand Kildare (obvious caveats inserted for nutcases and fibbers) Dermot Earley threw a headbutt to get the red.
That would have him rightly banjaxed for the championship.
Midfield would have been a sector that Kildare would have been expected to have to upper hand over Offaly.
It helps matters for championship.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Kildare/Messa ... icID=23442

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

This is bad news for Offaly - they will have to start Willie Heffernan now. Heffernan destroyed the Offaly midfield in 05!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Heffernan is playing full forward a lot these days and still destroying everyone!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Boyles have priced this up already. They go:

Kildare 2/5
Draw 8/1
Offaly 12/5

Seems right at the moment.....it equates to a +3pt handicap for Offaly. The winners of this have a game against a Wexford side who couldn't be lower on confidence at the moment and I think if we win we would have home advantage against them (we are proving difficult to beat in Tulamore). If Niall Mc gets going then we have every chance against Kildare who are likely to start doubting themselves just a small bit in the lead up to the game especialy with the lillywhite fans expecting again for the first time in a good few years. However I feel our lack of a solid full back line will eventually undo us in Portlaoise on the 24th of May.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

bracknaghboy wrote:Boyles have priced this up already. They go:

Kildare 2/5
Draw 8/1
Offaly 12/5

Seems right at the moment.....it equates to a +3pt handicap for Offaly.
What's the maths on that bb?
The night is darkest before the dawn

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Earley has eight-week suspension struck out

Kildare’s Dermot Early has successfully appealed an eight-week suspension and will be available for his side’s Leinster SFC opener against Offaly on May 24th.

Earley was sent off and reported by referee Joe McQuillan for ‘striking with the head’ in the Lilywhites National League encounter against Meath in Navan last Sunday.

Earley produced video evidence at his appeal to the Central Hearings Committee last night, the result of which saw them reduce his penalty to a ‘highly disruptive foul/second cautionable infraction’ and he is now deemed to have served the penalty.

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Ward got 2 months so he's out anyway, will probably be the end of the road for him?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Georgio1 wrote:Ward got 2 months so he's out anyway, will probably be the end of the road for him?
I'd say there will be a few more comebacks and end of the roads in him yet!

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

IMO that should be the end of him. He had a great chance to nail down a position on the team and instead almost could have landed us back in Div 4. He has had a few incidents of a nasty nature at club level too and I feel we are better off without him as his temperament is suspect for inter county. Both in terms of atitude and work rate. There is no doubt he has skill and ability but that will only get you so far at county level.
But you are right BNM Man, no doubt there will be a few more twists before he drifts off into the sunset.

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

It really should be the end of him and I actually hope it is to be brutally honest. A fantastic footballer and could actually bring something to the team but he is way more trouble than he is worth.
"Ohhh mamma!"

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

bula bula wrote:It really should be the end of him and I actually hope it is to be brutally honest. A fantastic footballer and could actually bring something to the team but he is way more trouble than he is worth.
well said couldnt have put it better myself .by all accounts training has be going well and i reckon we have a very good chance to beat kildare .i think they have peaked to soon and we will be just right by the time the game comes around.lets hope its a good sunny day and then maybe our famous sunshine supporters will show up .
great history hoping for a better future

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Kemo Sabe is that your mouth or are you just holding onto it for a prick :evil:

Jasus your worse than women with your bitchin
First ball is when you make your mark

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

goofy it is my mouth and im just holding on to it for your misses .
great history hoping for a better future

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

U wouldnt if you seen my missus - aahhh anonmity :)
First ball is when you make your mark