Colin Dunne RIP

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Over The Black Spot
County player

Colin Dunne RIP

Post by Over The Black Spot »

A YOUNG Irish sports star died yesterday as his family and friends watched him raise funds for charity by running in the Barcelona Marathon.

Primary school teacher Colin Dunne, from Rahan, near Tullamore, Co Offaly, is believed to have suffered a heart attack just five miles from the finishing line of the 26-mile race.
The 27-year-old, who was captain of the Shamrocks senior hurling and football sides, had travelled out to the Spanish city with four members from the Rahan-based club to raise money for the Offaly Hospice.
The teacher at Killeigh National School had gotten engaged at Christmas to Yvonne Kearney, from Tullamore, who was in Barcelona.
It is understood that both his mother Bernie and sister Ciara travelled out to watch the race on a surprise visit.
It is believed Mr Dunne suffered suspected cardio-vascular problems after completing about 21 miles of the race.
Paramedics spent 55 minutes trying to revive him but he was pronounced dead on arrival at hospital.
The organisers of the race said in a statement: "The young Irish runner aged 27 died from a cardiac problem at the 21.5-mile mark of the race.
"Medics from the Red Cross were on the scene and attempted to revive him but their efforts were in vain. Medics confirmed that his death was instantaneous. Our hearts go out to his family. We will help them in any way we can."
Mr Dunne was taken by ambulance to the Spanish city's Hospital Clinica.
Dr Guerson Benarroch said: "He arrived at the hospital at around noon. The paramedics spent 55 minutes attempting to revive him at the scene and in the ambulance but he was already dead when he arrived here. It is a tragedy. There were family members with him when he arrived."
A post mortem will be carried out to determine the cause of death.
The Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed it was providing assistance to the family.
Mr Dunne won a Leinster medal with the Offaly minor hurling team and also played for the U-21 side.
"He was an absolute brilliant sportsman," said Ollie Bryant, vice-chairman of the Shamrocks. "You couldn't meet a nicer chap. He was a club man through and through, he got involved in everything."
Shock
Mr Dunne, who was PRO of the Shamrocks, was understood to have been teaching at Killeigh National School for about three years, where he also coached the young school sides.
"He was a model club man, everyone looked up to him," Mr Bryant said.
The young hurler had travelled out to raise funds along with a number of friends from the club, one of whom was his cousin. "We are all in a state of shock," Mr Bryant added.
The Athletics Association of Ireland last night also extended its sympathies to his family.
More than 9,700 runners took part in the race, which was won by Kenyan athlete Johnstone Chebii.

Lads,
Just heard this news this morning and couldn't believe it. Colin was one of the nicest fellas you could hope to meet and a pure gentleman on and off the field. In all my years playing against him, I never heard him say a cross word to anyone or speak ill of anyone. He was a true sportsman and will be missed by anyone who knew him.
I hope this thread is appropriate. I have started it with the intention that people will just drop in and leave their message of condolence so to his girlfriend Yvonne and all the Dunne family, our thoughts are with ye.

crossbar
Junior B

Re: Colin Dunne RIP

Post by crossbar »

Just want to offer my sincere condolences to Yvonne, the Dunne family and his wide circle of friends.

Played against Colin on several occasions and you could not meet a more genuine fella. An absolute gent and will be hugely missed.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I was utterly stunned when I heard this news yesterday morning. I first got talking to Colin through the Offaly Indo when I was touching base with some of the club PROs and got to know him very well over the course of the last twelve months since as was posted above, a more decent and genuine individual you could not find. A two minute courtesy call to another PRO to check out a piece of information was always a thirty minute call to Colin because he was simply so enthusastic about everything that was going on in Offaly GAA, and great conversation as well. Whether he was playing or watching he was friendly, honest and took great joy out of football and hurling, and I can honestly say he was a pleasure to meet in any context.

I cannot imagine the devastation that Yvonne, his family, his friends and all at Shamrocks and beyond must be feeling now. The deepest of condolences to them, and Rest in Peace Colin.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

Pure gent in all walks of life. RIP Colin

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

terrible news - our thoughts are with the family

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

Just like to add my sincerest condolences....terrible tragedy and loss. :(
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Condolences to his family and loved ones.

A terrible tragedy.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

massive loss to his family ,friends,pupils . puts sport into perspective when a tragedy like this happens . rest in peace colin .
great history hoping for a better future

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

RIP Colin, you'll never be forgotten.
First ball is when you make your mark

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Only met him once after a game and found him a very friendly person. a very sad passing. May he rest in peace.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Can only imagine what his poor family are going through. Terrible. We should appreciate every day.
RIP Colin.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

A terrible tragedy and my sympathies go out to all of those affected. May he rest in Peace.
The night is darkest before the dawn

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Condolences to his family and loved ones.

A terrible tragedy indeed.
Be careful out their

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Its really sad to see a young man with so much to offer departing this world so early.
RIP.

swiftpost
County player

Post by swiftpost »

Sympathies to his family, girlfriend, freinds and clubmates.

Did not know Colin but hurled against him on a few occasions, a very classy defender.