Jody lets rip!!

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Coolestown1562
Senior

Jody lets rip!!

Post by Coolestown1562 »

Probably the biggest disaster ever to be appointed to the management of a county team (and there still letting him do it which is part of the reason that underage football is so poor in the county) but i would agree whole heartedly with Gunning's comments below

Offaly board blasted for overlooking Darby
11 February 2009

Former Offaly star and referee Jody Gunning has criticised the county board for overlooking Stephen Darby for the senior manager’s post when it became vacant last summer.

Darby lost out to Richie Connor who was forced to step down last Sunday after the players had issued a vote of no confidence in him. Tom Coffey was appointed manager on an interim basis on Monday night, but Gunning believes the upheaval would have been avoided if his Rhode club-mate had been handed the post initially.

"I was very disappointed that Stephen Darby didn’t get the job because he was the only man qualified to get it. He brought Rhode to six under 21 championships and three senior championships in-a-row," the ex-radio presenter said.

"He was the only man in Offaly that was entitled to get the job and I believe from what I hear that he didn’t get a fair hearing at the interviews.

"I don’t know would he be prepared to do it now. Stephen is a very genuine sort of fella and if he has committed himself to Carbury (in Kildare), he mightn’t be able to change his mind."

Gunning also felt it was wrong that members of the county board executive should have been involved in the appointment process given the number of managerial mishaps in the county in recent years.

"I don’t think that the chairman or the secretary should have any say in this. Five or six former players should be nominated to go out there," he added.

The other thing you’d have to say is players should have no say in who the manager is going to be. If player don’t want to play under the management, let them go home and watch Coronation Street."
Contae an Riogh

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Jody lets rip!!

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Coolestown1562 wrote: "I don’t think that the chairman or the secretary should have any say in this. Five or six former players should be nominated to go out there," he added.

The other thing you’d have to say is players should have no say in who the manager is going to be. If player don’t want to play under the management, let them go home and watch Coronation Street."
That's hardly guaranteed to be any better?
A lot of former players are out of touch with the scene for starters. Many of them disconnect themselves from GAA matters once they hang up their boots. Which is their own perogative.
You can have former county players who were good players but wouldn't be well up on how to run a successful team.

I think it is more important to have county board officials involved in the process. They will ultimately be expected to stand over the decision.
I also believe former players may feel compromised if one of their former teammates is running for the job.

Coolestown1562
Senior

Re: Jody lets rip!!

Post by Coolestown1562 »

Its probably a typo BNMM, but just to avoid confusion the quote you use are Jody's words not mine.

Agreed a former player's opinions can be coloured if he has a former teamate going for the job.

In 1996 Offaly County Board appointed a 6 man committee (none of whom were members of the executive of the board (they were all club delegates). They took eight weeks to make the decision. Having met John Maughan, John O Mahony, Des Dolan, a McManus lad from Roscommon and a host of others they eventually reported back that Tommy Lyons was their choice, although John O Mahony had been front runner until he withdrew himself.
Contae an Riogh