Offaly v Carlow, NHL, 08/03/09

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Offaly v Carlow, NHL, 08/03/09

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

If Offaly’s heads are fight they’ll win this.

Some posters have indicated that they would like to see Offaly win this by as much as possible. I don’t think there’s anything to be gained by doing that, but I would like to see Offaly sieze control of this game early on and not let Carlow dominate for any stage.

In matches such as this, Offaly have a habit of creating a decent lead during the first quarter, only for the workrate to drop in the second quarter, letting the opposition back into contention and allowing their belief to grow as the match progresses.

As Offaly picked a strong team for the Walsh Cup series, I’d expect them to pick a similarly strong side on Sunday, vital as it is to get the campaign off to a winning start. I’d be inclined to go with the halfback line Kinnittyman nominated elsewhere on this site during the week, with Kevin Brady on the wing and Ger Oakley in the centre. While James Rigney struggled with Dublin’s possession game last Sunday, Carlow will suit him. I’m a bit surprised he plumped for Mullins in goal however. While James Dempsey wasn’t too assured against Dublin I’d stick with the Cadamstown man for now.

I’d leave Joe Brady at centre half forward though. Joe will stop Shane Kavanagh from catching, though the other forwards will need to be aware of Joe’s vicious ground stroke which he effects well but is rarely anticipated by others.

While Saturday is promised good, Sunday is promised to be horrendous, with rain, sleet and a possibility of snow. Given that there is a football match on O’Connor Park on Saturday, perhaps this match should be moved to Banagher? Given the forecast, there’s a chance this game mightn’t go ahead on Sunday at all.

One thing about Carlow. For a small county with only eight hurling clubs to pick from, they’ve quite a turnover of hurlers. Of the team which lined out against Westmeath in the Kehoe Cup final last Sunday, only six were involved in the two matches against Offaly in the 2005 NHL. Of those, three, Edward Coady, Shane Kavanagh and Des Shaw are in defence with Paul Keogh, Ruairi Dunbar and Robert Foley in attack. Coady, in particular, is a fine hurler, a real Offaly-type hurler.

Just as significantly, only four of the minor team who beat Offaly in the 2006 minor semi-final and contested the Leinster minor final (and who are 21 this year) featured last Sunday, while only six of last year’s under 21 panel lined out against Westmeath. Granted, Padraig Amond has committed to soccer, but where are the rest?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly v Carlow, NHL, 08/03/09

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Possibly the only thing to be taken from the Westmeath and Kerry matches is that the management are determined to stick as much as possible to what they perceive to be the best fifteen available to them.

This is probably what you’d expect from a management in the second year of their term, having had a year of ‘getting to know you’ last year, though it does allow us assess the likely championship fifteen. At this early stage I’d say at this stage only the left corner back spot, the make-up of the half back line and centre half forward are yet to be determined.

Stephen Wynne had been doing well at corner back up in previous matches and up until his withdrawal against Kerry, which I presume was down to an injury? Michael Verney has enough hurling to have worked better at midfield, but looked like a fish out of water that far upfield. He still remains the front runner to claim the number 4 jersey in Wexford in May though, with Brendan Murphy presumably set to line out beside Rory Hanniffy for the throw-in. A poor run of form has seen James Rigney lose out on the goalkeeper’s jersey for both county and university with Brian Mullins still the frontrunner.

Ger Oakley looks to start in the centre, though Paul Cleary doesn’t convince and James Rigney is missing out on vital experience due to his injury. Kevin Brady is Kevin Brady – the best man in the county to catch a ball but too inclined to clear off the back foot.

It was noticeable against Dublin that Joe Brady contested the dropping ball with his left hand open. Now catching the ball is an area Joe is weak in, and he would have been better advised to pull and the dropping ball and let it break. Cathal Horan was the latest to occupy the centre half forward berth against Kerry, though he didn’t stamp his mark on it.

Cathal had a good league campaign in 2007 hurling at wing back before injury ruled him out of the championship. I wonder would he rediscover that form with a return to defence. Carroll, Molloy, Dooley, Currams and Bergin all look like being the frontrunners for the remaining five forward positions, the only query is where.

All depending on continuing good health – and form. Remember 2006 when a settled team had been established during a good league run only for them to leave that good form on the bus outside Nowlan Park on the big day.

As for Sunday and the rearranged visit of Carlow. Offaly will surely line out without the players lining out with their respective universities and colleges, in particular Carroll and Verney who will play a central role for UL at the weekend. This should give Colm Coughlan(at midfield) and Cathal Parlon (at wing forward) a chance to stake a claim to a place, or in the final twenty at least. Then again it wouldn’t surprise me to see Carroll and Verney line out.

As stated in the post above prior to the postponed first round, Offaly will need to take control of the game from the start. While they did score the three first half goals into the wind against Kerry, they allowed Kerry, with one forward, to score seven unanswered points in the second quarter. 3-4 to 0-7 is seven scores apiece and while Kerry were poor, Carlow would gain encouragement from such a position.

Antrim’s win over Wexford, while not unexpected, tightens things at the top of the table. Offaly can’t afford any slip-ups if they are to finish in the top two. Wherever they slip up, methinks it won’t be here.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Carlow have a better full back in Shaw than us and Carlows Shane Kavanagh is better than anyone we have to put in at #6. Kavanagh was missing from the Laois game last week but I hear is 50/50 to start againts us sunday. This will be a serious battle in expected poor windy conditions in Tullamore. Carlow to stay in it for 50-60mins and Offaly to push on is my prediction. Do not rule out Carlow.

Offaly by 7

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

bracknaghboy wrote:Carlow have a better full back in Shaw than us and Carlows Shane Kavanagh is better than anyone we have to put in at #6. Kavanagh was missing from the Laois game last week but I hear is 50/50 to start againts us sunday. This will be a serious battle in expected poor windy conditions in Tullamore. Carlow to stay in it for 50-60mins and Offaly to push on is my prediction. Do not rule out Carlow.

Offaly by 7
is this the same carlow that wer beat by a poor laois team lastweek .we will be far to strong for them and expect a 10 points plus win .
great history hoping for a better future

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

For crying out loud we have Carlow at home, a Carlow team that only beat Kerry by 5 points. If we can't beat this lot by 12 to 15 points we may as well throw our hats at it.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

The following is a two sentence review:

Both teams poor.
Carlow were a lot worse.

(On a wider note, this division is worringly bad preparation for the Championship. Small mercies for the fact that when we meet Wexford on the 30th of May they will have had the exact same preparation.)
Last edited by GreatDayForTheParish on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Big draw for Westmeath up in Antrim yesterday too. Antrim will be all guns blazing now

keephercountry
Junior B

Post by keephercountry »

Fair play to the hurlers yesterday easily beating Carlow without making a fuss of it .If they didnt win theese games by more than 6 or 7 points the county would be in uproar.Infairness to them they can only beat whats put on front of them and I can't see them slipping to Antrim judging by their result to Westmeath .I don't think Wexford will cause us porblems either .Dooley taking a very positive and professinal approach to the division 2 hurling league showing no mercy to anyone.Hopfully we will give the championship as good a crack as last year after coming out of division 2. :)

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Antrim dropping a point to Westmeath was a good result for us as if we beat Antrim and then when we head to wexford we wont be looking over our shoulders at scoring difference should we loose to the yellowbellies. Its no harm to have a safety net in place
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Christ this game was crap. Only for the biting cold and wind yesterday, especially in the second half I think a few of us would have dozed off. I guess we can understand why the players just went through the motions in the second half as Carlow were not up to any kind of standard at all. It must be extremely difficult to motivate yourself knowing you are playing nobody. Nothing learned here, it will be tougher from here on starting in Ballycran in 2 weeks time and then the 3 sticky ones although I would hardly class Laois as sticky.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I know one of the Carlow boys off yesturdays panel and he was gutted after the match. They were dreadful beyond belief. He text me during the week to say they were quietly confident of being in the game with 15mins to go now they realise how far off the pace they really are. Its a pity. They looked to me like they were caught cold and never got got a chance to get into it because Offaly never let them. Far play to Joe Dooley for taking no chances in this divison. The trip to Down looks potentially dangerous but I think the lads will be ready and wont get caught out.