Offaly Waterford Challenge game?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
azoffaly
All Star

Offaly Waterford Challenge game?

Post by azoffaly »

Hi all, I heard from a Waterford neighbour that Offaly were supposed to be hurling against the Deise last night in a challenge. Any word on how this went? Any other challenges played so far?
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly Waterford Challenge game?

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I heard it was 3-20 to 1-14 to Waterford.

royalblue
County player

Post by royalblue »

Was talking to one of the players Father on Sunday Rory Hanniffy out for the Laois game also the County Board are treating the players very bad they havent received any expenses since Christmas or training gear which is terrible in this day and age.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

royalblue wrote:Was talking to one of the players Father on Sunday Rory Hanniffy out for the Laois game also the County Board are treating the players very bad they havent received any expenses since Christmas or training gear which is terrible in this day and age.
Can anyone confirm that? About the players, I mean, because if so it's an absolute disgrace.

royalblue
County player

Post by royalblue »

azoffaly wrote:
royalblue wrote:Was talking to one of the players Father on Sunday Rory Hanniffy out for the Laois game also the County Board are treating the players very bad they havent received any expenses since Christmas or training gear which is terrible in this day and age.
Can anyone confirm that? About the players, I mean, because if so it's an absolute disgrace.
its true it came from a very reliable source

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I don't see the point in this sort of wrangling over expenses (if the point is correct).
Realistically the Co. Board are going to have to pay the expenses anyway, delaying the inevitable only causes player to become needlessly annoyed.

It is a silly reason to potentially de-motivate a player.
Remember Larry Tompkins left Kildare to join Cork over a row over paying for his travelling expenses.

baz
Junior A

Post by baz »

lets be honest lads its that type of nonscence that has offaly gaa where it is ,a couple of years ago when offaly played wexford in noland park the kids that played at half time asked to keep the jersies ,one of the lads looking after them hit the door with vexation and the other two were embarrest to tell them the couldnt (told so by the county board ) and supplied them with a drink each worth 25 cent .now thats the way they threat kids they wont treat adults any better .i remember reading in the midland tribune one time the co. board chairman giving out about money spent on mars bars and drinks for underage players at training games ,yet they expecp these people to give up their spare time for that type of attitude .no one wants the bank to be broken for players ,just a bit of fair play .

mykneehurts
County player

Post by mykneehurts »

From what I've seen, heard and experienced it is next nigh impossible to get what your owed from the county board. If there was a las travelling within ten miles of your house they would get him to detour to pick you up rather than have to pay two sets of expenses.

They would only pay my expenses last summer from where I live not from where I was working and I still only got half what I should have gotten. Having said that I'm sure if a lad left a panel over something like expenses there would be plenty of people on this site saying he should be doing it for the love of the jersey and not for what he can get out of it. Fair enough but people shouldn't be left out of pocket all the same. I'm only talking about travelling expenses here and not even going to get dragged into the whole question of lads giving up overtime etc. to play football.

Just one more thing. A lad I went to college with played for Carlow for the past few years. Even the players who don't drive to training get expenses. In Offaly the ones who drive have to constantly ask for them before they get them. Just to put it in perspective.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

mykneehurts wrote: Having said that I'm sure if a lad left a panel over something like expenses there would be plenty of people on this site saying he should be doing it for the love of the jersey and not for what he can get out of it. Fair enough but people shouldn't be left out of pocket all the same.
not even going to get dragged into the whole question of lads giving up overtime etc. to play football.
Just one more thing. A lad I went to college with played for Carlow for the past few years. Even the players who don't drive to training get expenses. In Offaly the ones who drive have to constantly ask for them before they get them. Just to put it in perspective.
First things first. The first bit I have highlighted. I don't think many people would be in favour of lads getting left out of pocket in the way of valid expenses not being paid. That is wrong, and thick of the county board if that is true. I'd have the height of sympathy for any lad, such as yourself, who has valid expenses, be they mileage, medical etc etc, and are not being paid. That's not good enough.

The second bit, well we won't get dragged into that because it's a different argument entirely.

Thirdly, the last bit I've highlighted, how can that be right? I'm not doubting you, but I'm wondering do they get 'travel' expenses like bus and rail? Or are you saying they just get mileage for turning up, regardless of whether they drive, get a lift, or whatever? If they just get flat expenses for turning up, then that's wrong in my opinion. No business in the country (that I know of) would willingly pay 'expenses' that are not actually expended in the first place.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

It's this kind of shite that creates the vacuum in which the GPA can thrive. Absolute penny pinching like this, which is way out of order and utterly counter productive, is all the more likely to make a player militant and to take the attitude that he should take everything he can get.

Equally how can one encourage players to be utterly loyal to the county when the county treats them like this?

On the minor points, AZ has pretty much elucidated my thoughts to a tee.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

green&white
Senior

Post by green&white »

I think anyone that has been involved in with the county panel at some stage know that the CB are scandalous the way they deal with expenses! Between not paying players what they are owed, late payments, gear, boots etc we really are behind the times. I know for a fact that the Birr players have not got their gear yet, we're only 3weeks to C'ship.. This lack of professionalism kills us in my eyes! We are always behind (just look at our jersies!!), never do the county board take the initiative and do something before someone else does.. be it training facilities,coaching methods, palyer welfare etc. we are consequently always playing catch-up! Even as Baz refers to the thaty CB meeting where there was dismay at the cost of training our senior intercounty teams, i think it was €500,000 approx., whereas Kerry (I know they got to the AI Final) football (not including hurling expenses) cost nearly €1.2 million!
As regards the students situation, I feel that they should be a method of looking after them.. we know are aware that dietary needs are v important at the moment, and very costly to boot! Maybe meals should be supplemented for them ( I knolw this happens in other counties!), its only a small thing but may make the difference. Another thing is: because of the committment needed now for intercounty it is almost impossible for students to have a part-time job and hurl/play football, I feel that these players should be expected to coach every Sat morning in their home club and be given €100 for the session. With this situation you are providing good coaching to youngsters in the county while providing for young intercounty players.. Win, win situation!

mykneehurts
County player

Post by mykneehurts »

Don't really know the situation with the Carlow thing fully but yeah they were getting expenses for mileage. They could have just being claiming and no-one was asking any questions and getting away with it but that could never happen here! I remember a few years ago playing under 21 and two lads having driven from Limerick for training. One of them had a late exam so he couldn't car pool and ended up coming to training late as a result of the exam. After training they were told they would have to split one set of expenses because they should have travelled together! Madness!

The part time job thing is more iffy I think because I know I had no problem giving up my job for the football but I didn't do so until March or that and I was working full time for the summer from May so it is negotiable.

I don't like the idea of paying players to train young lads at the weekends though because I know in our club there are people much more deserving of that money having spent many years training underage teams for no reward so in that respect it is a tough thing to justify. Without those people all those years ago we wouldn't have the footballers and hurlers playing senior that we do now.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

mykneehurts wrote:Don't really know the situation with the Carlow thing fully but yeah they were getting expenses for mileage. They could have just being claiming and no-one was asking any questions and getting away with it but that could never happen here! I remember a few years ago playing under 21 and two lads having driven from Limerick for training. One of them had a late exam so he couldn't car pool and ended up coming to training late as a result of the exam. After training they were told they would have to split one set of expenses because they should have travelled together! Madness!
That is just unbelievably petty and small minded, not to mention cheap. I had hoped things were changing since my time involved (in 4 or 5 years involved with various teams I got *one* set of socks and togs, and never got to keep a jersey. At one stage we swapped and had to go back and get them again!) I was hoping those days were well gone, but it appears not. In the end I had to rob a jersey. I hope Christy Todd is not reading this! Sorry Christy.

Biffo Army
Intermediate

Post by Biffo Army »

In relation to the actual topic! I heard Derek Molloy was centre forward and started very well on Ken McGrath, scored a few points and after about twenty minutes of this he became the victim of McGraths hurl under a dropping ball! Hayden seemingly got a great goal and was then caught after by Brian Phelan! Anyone know anymore about Rory Hanniffys injury????
The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

No harm at all if Waterford were not sparing the timber. We need to be right physically and hardened up if we are going to beat Laois and give Kilkenny a rattle.