Club Hurling - Team of the Year

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Over The Black Spot
County player

Club Hurling - Team of the Year

Post by Over The Black Spot »

Just wondering what lads here would consider to have been the best 15 in the county this year, based on club championship form.

Try to stick to positions if possible, none of this all-star mallarkey of pegging fellas in everywhere.

green&white
Senior

Re: Club Hurling - Team of the Year

Post by green&white »

Mullins
Jp O'Meara
Claffey
Verney
K Brady
P Cleary
C Cassidy
J Rigney
C Mahon
B Carroll
G Hannify
J Gorman
S Dooley
C Slevin
O Kealey

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Didn't see a lot of the games this year, so it would be a bit much for me to comment when there were some clubs I didn't even see at all. Having said that, I would say that Brian Leonard, Paul Bermingham and David Moran all impressed me at various stages, while Derek Molloy had a few very good games for Shamrocks too. G&W no doubt saw more games than I did, but I'd certainly be inclined to subsitute Molloy and Bermingham into the half forward line there, while maybe swapping Leonard for Cassidy in the backs.

Obviously most of the journalists will look to the final and include Sid on that basis alone, but I can see why others mightn't include him. I wasn't at the Clareen-Bir match, but I believe he iced a few crucial scores that day that made a world of difference - possibly that too pushes him into contention as well perhaps.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

redser
County player

Post by redser »

1.B Mullins Birr
2.JP O'Meara Birr
3.Claffey Birr
4.Leonard KK
5.Moran Lusmagh
6.Cleary Birr
7.Cassidy Kk
8.Mahon KK
9.Carroll Coolderry
10.Kearney Shamrocks
11.Hanniffy Birr
12.Molloy Kinnitty
13.Dooley Tullamore
14.Molloy Shamrocks
15.Slevin kk

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

My team of the club hurling year

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I don’t normally pick teams of the year or all-Stars but I was thinking of this as I drove along recently.

I saw where John O’Callaghan picked his team of the year in the paper, picking something like six from each of Birr and Kilcormac along with Odhran Kealey, Brian Carroll and Damien Murray. I’ve decided to spread them around the parishes a bit more than he did.

This is a selection of those who caught my eye during the year. It isn’t a county team as such, moreso an All-Star XV. I’ve given more weight for example to forwards who might have scored three points in a tight game ahead of someone who scored 2-8 out of 4-15 over a weaker side.

Goalkeeper – Brian Mullins (Birr)
While most clubs have dependable goalkeepers, Mullins is by far the most accomplished and conceding only one goal in six matches speaks volumes.

Right full back – Thomas Coughlan (Shamrocks)
Did a superb marking job on some of the oppositions danger men – marked Aidan Hanrahan against Lusmagh and Belmont’s Alan Egan. His performance on Egan ensured his side qualified ahead of the Brosnamen. A good defender with the hurling and the speed to match.

Full Back – Niall Claffey (Birr)
One of the most difficult positions to select. Brendan O’Meara came closest, while Ger Healion hurled well but Kilcormac’s huge ‘goals against’ tally came against him. Fergus Short did well for ’Rynagh’s. Moving Claffey to full back turned out to be the single biggest move which ensured Sean Robbins will spend another winter by the banks of the Camcor. He had two great games I the position against both Coolderry and Kilcormac.

Left full back – Michael Verney (Birr)
Difficult one this. Verney’s early season was disrupted by injury but he recovered and hurled very well in the semi final and final. Conor Hernon came closest here.

Right half back – Ronan Daly (Belmont)
Some may see this as a surprise choice but Daly caught my eye. He’s a fine hurler, has a good pair of wrists and hurled well in this position against Lusmagh and Shamrocks.

Centre half back – Joseph Bergin (Clareen)
Drove Clareen from centre back and almost dragged them into the quarter final. He was placed here out of necessity, yet was required upfield also. He was dominant in the position any time I saw him hurl for Clareen.

Left half back – Brian Bermingham (Lusmagh)
Was consistently good for the parish side during the year. Had a great game in the win over ’Rynagh’s but also hurled well when they were under pressure against Shamrocks. His call up to the county panel is well deserved.

Midfield1 – Eamonn Lee (Kilcormac)
Drove Kilcormac forward from midfield. Took some very good scores and covered back in defence well too. Covered most blades of grass during matches. Consistently good during the year.

Midfield2 – James Rigney (Kinnitty)
I know he did most of his good hurling at centre half back, but I couldn’t fit him in there with Bergin a cert. He drove Kinnitty forward from centre back and even when most Kinnittymen had given up the ghost in the semi final replay he was still performing valiantly.

Right half forward – James Gorman (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
Kilcormac’s main ball winner who also took some good scores. Scored vital goals also to bring his side to the final.

Centre half forward – Peter Healion (Kilcormac/Killoughey)
Led the Kilcormac attack and took some fine scores on occasions. Hurled well all year up to the final.

Left half forward – James Mulrooney (Clareen)
Probably another surprise choice but this fella caught my eye during the year. He was Clareen’s main ball winner in attack and took some good scores. Kinnitty’s Mark Robinson came close here, as did Austen Lynch from Lusmagh.

Right corner forward – Odhran Kealey (Kinnitty)
A nippy corner forward with an eye for goal. Scored some vital goals for Kinnitty during the year.

Full Forward – Gary Kelly (St. Rynagh’s)
Poached a vital goal against Belmont. Led the ’Rynagh’s attack almost single-handedly in their defeat to Lusmagh and took some sublime scores against Kilcormac.

Left corner forward – Paul Bermingham (Lusmagh)
Set up two goals for Hanrahan against Belmont; kept his side in the hunt when things weren’t going so well against Shamrocks and scored three match winning points against ’Rynagh’s.
Over The Black Spot wrote:Just wondering what lads here would consider to have been the best 15 in the county this year, based on club championship form.

Try to stick to positions if possible, none of this all-star mallarkey of pegging fellas in everywhere.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.